Sanderson on trial

ShardShaper

17 hours ago, Chromium Compounder said:

For starters, Brandon’s creations are fictional, so brutality against them is fictional as well.  That doesn’t make it completely fake, but certainly less real than brutality against real peopl

Ender Wiggin: 'Actually....' 

Can we all agree that Mr. Sanderson killing off many of the characters that we grew to love (or hate with an intensity) helped strengthen his books and create depth in the characters that survived?

Though, there are a few select people that I would have not die and replaced with someone else...

On 4/25/2019 at 5:59 PM, Chromium Compounder said:

David, will you please explain your simile?  You are notoriously bad at them, yes, but they do always make sense to you, so please explain this one to us.

[David]

That depends... will it be used against me in this court of law?

Alright, fine. Megan said I have to, or else. She can be quite scary sometimes.

Everyone wanted to kill Steelheart, just like everyone wants to crucify Brandon Sanderson for harming us.

But everyone didn't kill him... I did. And no one will crucify Brandon Sanderson. He will continue harming us.

I ate all of the peanut butter, and left none for anyone else. And so did Brandon Sanderson. We ate it together, like two birds having grabbed the same piece of bacon to go with their eggs.

That should be clear enough for you. I rest my case.

Edited by ShardGuard

23 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

David, are you a witness for the prosecution or the defense?

[David]

Are my metaphors not clear enough? Personally, I feel like they're all very good. Father would have been proud. Next dimension father is.

Sorry... similes. (She's never going to let that go.)

I'd have to say that I'm torn, like a glittery mobile cover caught between two very strong female epics.

On the one hand, I can understand his reasons for killing. I validated killing several epics myself, one of them point blank. Although I still regret having to use my handgun. I would have preferred my rifle.

On the other hand, Brandon Sanderson has not killed me personally. So for now, I'd say we have an uneasy truce.

Edited by ShardGuard

On 4/25/2019 at 3:49 PM, Epicnolife said:

The assumption of freewill is that as humans we would be less without the negative to give meaning to the positive. I maintain free will could exist at a greater state with only positive options available to power free will. God himself represents Infinite positive. That means we could be positive only forever and never run out. If God choose.

I disagree. Sure, if there were only positive options, then we could only choose positive, and yes, that is good. However, some options would be more positive than others. Under those circumstances, since people still have free will, God would ask that they choose the most positive choice. People would then see most positive as good and least positive as evil. And, in a way, they would be right, as they would be choosing the least possible positive option. No matter how positive the options get, this would continue to be a problem unless all options were equally positive. If all options were equally positive, then our actions would not have any meaning, as they would all have the same end result. Therefore, our free will is meaningful because we can make a difference in ourselves by choosing how positive or negative our actions are, out of the options given to us. If we choose the best option, we change ourselves for the better. If we choose the worst option, then we change ourselves for the worse.

The best way to show us how our actions place on this spectrum is through the consequences of our actions. If the only options were positive, it would be incredibly difficult to understand what is needed to make ourselves better rather than worse, because we would only see ourselves doing good in the world, no matter what we were doing.

In conclusion, both positive and negative are necessary to give context and meaning to our free will.

if anything I said is offensive to, I am sincerely sorry.

if any of what I said doesn’t make sense, I am also sorry, I am not very good at writing. Just let me know what was confusing and I’ll try to explain it better.

Edited by Ethan_Sedai

I think it was in one of the Wax and Wayne books, maybe Shadows of Self; Wax says "Murderers are needed?" and then Harmony responds "No, the potential for murderers is needed." There needs to be the potential for us to choose good or evil, otherwise there's no real meaning to our choices. Agency (the ability to choose) is vital to life here on Earth, and presumably anywhere else, fictional or not. Robots cannot be good or evil, but we can choose.

Anyway that's just some of what I think.

I would like to point out that without this brutality none of the Cosmere works would have gained enough sentience to begin this trail and that universe would be a ghost of itself.  Considering the progress made across numerous planets and the millions who have lead happy lives on them are dependent on this could not these death be a necessary sacrifice.  Every dead Character had a choice(except the Kolass but that was Ruin's decision and he had a choice too).

Life is brutal. If we don't experience anything that tests us then what are we? What would our purpose be? I'd like say the same for any fictional universe; in my belief, life is a test, and how we handle trials and tribulations shows who we truly are, what we can stand up to and for. Mr. Sanderson has created this universe that shows this to us. I just finished Bands of Mourning again and there is so much on this topic, at least on the topic of choice, about how Harmony allows each person their choices, their agency, and in Mr. Sanderson's universes, each character chose the actions that brought them to where they are (or were).

(Ham would love this discussion.) :P

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

(I am several chapters from finishing Hero of Ages and it is exactly what I hoped for!) 

Oh... Oh my poor, poor friend... (sobs) before finishing, know this. They are- (sobs again) -they are happy where they are. When you finish this, and read secret history, you will know what I mean. Once you finish and come out of your misery coma- 

2 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

what I hoped for!

Wait what? YOU! YOU DEVIL, YOU DEMON!!! YOU- YOU VOIDBRINGER!!! 

22 hours ago, HemalurgicBeaverOfDeath said:

I Sentence Sanderson to DEATH BY NIGHTBLOOD  6tU3gRQ.gif

Um who is I?  Also killing Sanderson would effectively shut down the universe.  Sounds like a poor trade off for the billions who live on Cosmere worlds.