Origin of Puuli’s Prophecy

ILuvHats

I haven’t seen anybody theorize about this interlude in forever, so l figured “Why not?” I won’t try to decipher the weird message Puuli’s grandfather told him since any attempts would be the barest of speculation. It’s so esoteric! Why Brandon? Why so little? But I’m sure you all shared my frustration on your first OB read. Anyways, I’m not looking at what it means, but where the prophecy (I’m going to assume it is  one, because otherwise what’s the point of the interlude?) came from. It’s simple; Puuli’s descended from someone who had access to voidbinding.

I mean, when you think about it, where else could it have come from? The only other possibilities I could think of are that Puuli’s grandfather had a death rattle, or that one of their ancestors accessed fortune using methods from foreign worlds. As for the death rattle option, nobody really pays those much attention besides the Silent Gatherers. More importantly, I’m the italicized message Puuli thinks of, his grandfather addresses him directly. And using foreign magic systems just feels wrong. Why overcomplicate things, or try to include a reference to the greater cosmere that’s almost impossible to catch? No, it’s much more likely that one of Puuli’s ancestors could void bind, foresaw an important event, and passed it down to his children, to be passed on to their children, etc. 

To be fair, it’s possible the person who began passing down the prophecy is not directly related to Puuli. However, the fact that the message has been passed down for generations indicates that it was deeply ingrained in the familys minds, enough so that it was continuously passed down. And who better to begin a message that endured so long than somebody’s parent? Also note that I’m not considering the possibility that Puuli’s grandfather was himself a voidbinder. The message feels vague enough that it has probably been obscured over centuries. If the grandfather directly saw what was to come, why would he be so vague? Besides, he couldn’t have pulled a Renarin since spren weren’t bonding with people back then, and we know nothing about the other methods of accessing voidbinding. 

Well that’s it. Ooh, one last thing. Wouldn’t it be cool if Puuli was descended from the same Truthwatcher who left a message in the gem in Urithiru saying he foresaw “this?”

Almost missed that interlude the first time around but went to check it when I saw this post. To me, that interlude is actually continuing a different story that's been around in the books. When hoid tells Kal a story in the first book he mentioned some people who set sail to find the origin on the wandersail (derethil if I remember correctly)... 

My guess on this interlude is that that's where they left from with a story of coming back from the origin. That story cascaded down the generations to what we see as Pulli's belief/prophesy. 

And indeed it could be that that ships crew did find the origin. And found something there that's not been talked about yet. I'm very curious to learn more about that one myself tbh. And maybe now they're headed back with some new magic (or old relearnt) to save mankind in some way?

2 hours ago, ND103 said:

Almost missed that interlude the first time around but went to check it when I saw this post. To me, that interlude is actually continuing a different story that's been around in the books. When hoid tells Kal a story in the first book he mentioned some people who set sail to find the origin on the wandersail (derethil if I remember correctly)... 

My guess on this interlude is that that's where they left from with a story of coming back from the origin. That story cascaded down the generations to what we see as Pulli's belief/prophesy. 

And indeed it could be that that ships crew did find the origin. And found something there that's not been talked about yet. I'm very curious to learn more about that one myself tbh. And maybe now they're headed back with some new magic (or old relearnt) to save mankind in some way?

I like the way you think, but I would add to it and state the missing piece here is Aimia.

Puuli is a Natan native, whose blueish skin and white hair indicates that they are likely a human-Aimian hybrid. The Thaylay people with their long white eyebrows are also likely human-Aimian.  This is strange though as Aimia is an island off the south-western coast of the conteninent, but Natan and Thaylenah are on the eastern and south-eastern coasts of the continent.

I think The Wandersail legend is the linking element here.  Aimian sailors in the distant past circumnavigated the globe, integrated with a lost civilization on near the origin, and later sailed and colonized the east coast of the main continent.  The prophecy is really more of a cultural memory of where their people came from.

Most of the Aimian civilization was wiped out in the Scouring of Aimia event and the island is now abandoned.  Perhaps a large remnant was able to flee across the ocean and further reinforce the lost island.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:55 AM, Subvisual Haze said:

I like the way you think, but I would add to it and state the missing piece here is Aimia.

Puuli is a Natan native, whose blueish skin and white hair indicates that they are likely a human-Aimian hybrid. The Thaylay people with their long white eyebrows are also likely human-Aimian.  This is strange though as Aimia is an island off the south-western coast of the conteninent, but Natan and Thaylenah are on the eastern and south-eastern coasts of the continent.

I think The Wandersail legend is the linking element here.  Aimian sailors in the distant past circumnavigated the globe, integrated with a lost civilization on near the origin, and later sailed and colonized the east coast of the main continent.  The prophecy is really more of a cultural memory of where their people came from.

Most of the Aimian civilization was wiped out in the Scouring of Aimia event and the island is now abandoned.  Perhaps a large remnant was able to flee across the ocean and further reinforce the lost island.

That’s a connection i never made. Aimian’s probably circumnavigated and mixed with east coasters. 

As to the origin, there has to be something out there. It keeps being brought up. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

• Chaos locked this topic