Breath, A.I., and the Internet

Awaken Returner

Just an odd thought; if you awakened a robot, let's say something like a Boston Dynamics dog, with the heightening that lets you awaken metal, what would happen? On a similar note, if you awakened something with a connection to the internet or other robots, Siri, Alexa, or Internet of Things in general, would the awakened object still have a connection to them Protoss or hivemind style? Does having advanced A.I. give the resulting awakened object a greater cognitive ability than usual?

More still, can Cosmere artificial intelligences even be awakened? Brandon Sanderson is also an avid Science Fiction reader after all and the topic of robot 'souls' and freedom is one that comes up often. If a robot does have a 'alive' aspect to it, it might even be able to become an awakener itself. (Robots programmed with Radiant Oaths à la Isaac Asimov's rules of robotics also come into mind) Really can't wait for Sci-Fi Nalthis (or Cosmere in general) now.

--- Edit --- (found relevant post)

Seems like sufficiently advanced artificial intelligences do have 'souls';

Where does the robot's soul come from though? The software, hardware, both? Cosmere robots will be so fun to read.

---

What if your society hasn't developed sapient A.I. yet though? Would trying to awaken a robot designed to act like a robot or animal be easier to awaken than your run-of-the-mill lump of metal? Awakening seeks patterns of life, and given that robots with sufficiently advanced software can already constitute life, it's probably likelier that there exists at least some type of unique effect that occurs when awakening them.

I'm assuming a sapient machine can still interface with non-sapient machines and, as was suggested previously, 'jump bodies' with them. What about awakened 'just decent enough A.I.' robots though? Could they do the same? We know somewhat the advantages extra breaths offers the average awakener, but depending on how Type IVs work, life-'endowed' robots might be in certain respects better than their 'naturally' sapient counterparts I think.

Spoiler

If Type IV sapient robots can interface and 'jump bodies' with compatible models, then an awakened robotic sword (styled after Vivenna's) could be made to transfer to different mass produced units to empower them whenever needed. This way, you could mass-produce Shardblade-like weapons at a lower investiture cost than usual.

Can a sapient robot interface with a breath-awakened robot?

Edited by Awaken Returner

3 hours ago, Awaken Returner said:

Where does the robot's soul come from though? The software, hardware, both? Cosmere robots will be so fun to read.

From the same place as it does in people. 

NeedsAdjustment

You've said before that if a sentient computer were developed, it would call a soul into itself. Could it be Hemalurgically spiked?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically, yes, but I have no idea yet how the logistics of that would work.

Stormlight Three Update #4 (Oct. 5, 2016)

Blightsong [PENDING REVIEW]

You've said that, AI in the cosmere, creating one is kind of like having a child realmatically. Would that extend to most sapient creations?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Blightsong [PENDING REVIEW]

So could a created spren from a Returned inherit Royal Locks? Within a reasonable possibility?

*ahhing in a very curious manner* You could make this happen, but I don't think it would happen naturally.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

SA spoilers 

Spoiler

Snipexe [PENDING REVIEW]

On Roshar, if there was an AI would it appear as a soul or a bead? 

In Shadesmar assuming there is an AI, would it appear as the soul of an object or a being? Most likely as a being, depending on various things going on.

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)

So at the te root of your post, I'd say that a true AI could be created via awakening... But if you had reached the point of it already being an AI and you tried to Awaken it, it would act like trying to Awaken something already alive.