5 minutes ago, Kramerfarve said:

I don’t remember anything specifically, but could be wrong. The only plate instances I remember are the geometric shapes around Jasnah, and the Dalinar instances of plate in the visions.

Plus Kaladin's Windspren, and Shallan's illusion that had Plate on.

52 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Only when Jasnah comes to help Shallan, the version of her with plate on turns out to be the real one (as real as Shallan gets, anyway)

Shallan’s mental blocks make her much less capable than she would be otherwise

It works thematically, but makes her annoying (IMO, I realize that she is some people’s favorite)

Edit: Also, it just occurred to me, she should be covered in creation spren with all that Lightweaving. And she is... literally 

Edited by Wintersu

4 minutes ago, Wintersu said:

Only when Jasnah comes to help Shallan, the version of her with plate on turns out to be the real one (as real as Shallan gets, anyway)

Shallan’s mental blocks make her much less capable than she would be otherwise

It works thematically, but makes her annoying (IMO, I realize that she is some people’s favorite)

Edit: Also, it just occurred to me, she should be covered in creation spren with all that Lightweaving. And she is... literally 

I'd still qualify it as an illusion. After all, Radiant is a false persona, and I'm not entirely convinced the Plate in this scenario is real, though I do believe she had made it at least that far as a child before the reneged on her Oaths.

3 hours ago, Invocation said:

But neither of those came even as close as geometric shapes. I think that the lesser spren are associated with the order, in that they tend to be drawn to the things that Order does, but that they don't form Shardplate.

55 minutes ago, RShara said:

But neither of those came even as close as geometric shapes. I think that the lesser spren are associated with the order, in that they tend to be drawn to the things that Order does, but that they don't form Shardplate.

What then do you believe forms Plate?

1 hour ago, RShara said:

Fair. We don't really know what Plate is actually formed out of yet.

As invocation said, we don't know how plate is formed.  So it's up in the air if even the advanced skybreakers have it.

Even if they did. We've only seen the skybreakers operating in the context as of a secret society. They might be able to summon shardblades with some plausible deniability, but shardplate might be too conspicuous and high profile for most of their activities. Nobody would expect "officers of the law" to show up for a raid in shardplate, and would absolutely question them being able to summon it onto their persons on command as we saw in some of Dalinar's visions.

29 minutes ago, Numuhuku said:

As invocation said, we don't know how plate is formed.  So it's up in the air if even the advanced skybreakers have it.

Even if they did. We've only seen the skybreakers operating in the context as of a secret society. They might be able to summon shardblades with some plausible deniability, but shardplate might be too conspicuous and high profile for most of their activities. Nobody would expect "officers of the law" to show up for a raid in shardplate, and would absolutely question them being able to summon it onto their persons on command as we saw in some of Dalinar's visions.

I think you are on the right track with this.  Also,  from an author's perspective, Brandon is holding out on shardplate. I imagine in a book or two we will see battles featuring plate-clad skybreakers. 

12 hours ago, WhiteEmporer said:

I think you are on the right track with this.  Also,  from an author's perspective, Brandon is holding out on shardplate. I imagine in a book or two we will see battles featuring plate-clad skybreakers. 

I think Rhythm of War will feature plate. Probably when Kaladin takes the 4th Ideal. We’ll know after that 

As I don't want to open a new topic and this one is about Shardplate anyway, I post my question here. I hope this is OK. There's a new WoB about Shardplate: 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Shardplate part of the Oaths?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

*pulls out the RAFO box* There's your card!

FanX Spring 2019 (April 19, 2019)

Why is this question RAFOed? I thought it was clear by now that Shardplate is related to the fourth Oath. Any ideas?

On 4/24/2019 at 10:32 AM, equinox said:

As I don't want to open a new topic and this one is about Shardplate anyway, I post my question here. I hope this is OK. There's a new WoB about Shardplate: 

Why is this question RAFOed? I thought it was clear by now that Shardplate is related to the fourth Oath. Any ideas?

There are theories that Shardplate is more like a fabrial than the Blades are. 

Granted, I think that's Brandon saying RAFO as in, "you will find out soon," not, "you're wrong but I don't want to tell you you're wrong."

On 4/24/2019 at 10:32 AM, equinox said:

Like Striker said, that's probably one of the RAFOs that was more "you'll get this answer soon and I'm keeping the secret" as opposed to the other uses.

Presumably Jasnah and Nale have shardplate. Shallan may or may not have shardplate. Dalinar has expressed proto shardplate. And we’re not going to learn about it until we get a climactic Kaladin moment, most likely. Until then we just argue whether shardplate is made of stormlight or spren. 

Since we're talking about shardplate, I have a question too. When Kaladin had his dramatic moment and got his blade, it was soon after revealed that Syl could be whatever Kaladin  needed her to be... We saw blade, spear, dagger, and shield, I think. Because of this, I have wondered if plate could be similar and what we saw in the Dalinar and Venli vision was actually his plate, just in a different form. Is the fourth ideal bit for all orders or just some? Could plate be flexible like spren blades, changing to meet whatever type of protection the radiant needs?

• Chaos locked this topic