Yeden and Ruin

DarthHoid

Welcome to the Shard!

To be directly influenced by Ruin, I believe that you have to be spiked. I don't remember any record of Yeden being pierced by metal, so I don't think Ruin was the reason for his attack.

Also, it would devalue the explanation that's already there. Because Kelsier made himself into such an almighty figurehead, Yeden believed that it was impossible for the rebellion to fail. Kell's message of survival and hope made them overconfident. Yeden was a victim of hubris - both his own and Kelsier's.

3 hours ago, Artemos said:

To be directly influenced by Ruin, I believe that you have to be spiked. I don't remember any record of Yeden being pierced by metal, so I don't think Ruin was the reason for his attack.

You can also just be unstable. Less of a foothold, but still a way for Ruin to worm his way in,

But, in response, the original thing, no, it was just Yeden being overconfident due to Kell letting him believe that he could pass Allomancy on to the soldiers and had done so already so that they could not lose.

Edited by Invocation

Welcome to the Shard, @DarthHoid!

Aside from the hubris explanation, there's another angle to consider and that's Ruin's own goals. Remember that Ruin wanted Rashek out of the way becase the latter was aware of the big picture and thus represented the biggest stumbling block to his goal of freeing himself. He's implied to have created the 'legend' of the Eleventh Metal himself in order to manipulate an unwitting agent (Vin by way of Kelsier as it turned out) into killing Rashek for him. While things ultimately worked out for Ruin's plan, instigating Yeden's fatal decision wouldn't really have benefited Ruin since it removed one potential tool his unwitting agent had, without directly contributing to the primary goal.

Hmmm nice. Thanks for the responses. Good to have different ways to look at it.

Though I now feel more inclined to agree that it was simply poor judgement on Yeden's behalf, part of me still feels like Ruin may have done such an action to narrow down the options of the main cast so that it would be Vin to face down Rashek and be the one at the pool.

12 hours ago, John Flamesinger said:

Welcome to the Shard, Hoid of the Dark Side. If I remember correctly, I think it is mentioned in the books (Either the Hero of Ages or Mistborn: A Secret History) that he was not spiked, and that Ruin had tried many times. 

Are you thinking about this epigraph from The Hero of Ages?  It only specifically references Elend and Yomen.  Yeden died during The Final Empire.  

The Hero of Ages, Chapter 63

Ruin tried many times to get spikes into other members of the crew. Though some of what happened makes it seem like it was easy for him to gain control of people, it really was not.

Sticking the metal in just the right place—at the right time—was incredibly difficult, even for a subtle creature like Ruin. For instance, he tried very hard to spike both Elend and Yomen. Elend managed to avoid it each time, as he did on the field outside of the small village that contained the next-to-last storage cache.

Ruin did actually manage to get a spike into Yomen, once. Yomen, however, removed the spike before Ruin got a firm grip on him. It was much easier for Ruin to get a hold on people who were passionate and impulsive than it was for him to hold on to people who were logical and prone to working through their actions in their minds.

• Chaos locked this topic