Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awaken Returner

Lifeless Trees

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Awakening 'seeks patterns of life', and because of this its a,) easier to awaken things related to life (wool cloth), b.) shaped like life (particularly humanoid), and c.) things which were once alive (wood).

I suspect that the difference of whether or not an object awakens regularly or instead becomes a lifeless is dependent upon whether or not the objects realmatically sees itself as being still alive rather than completely dead but with the memory of life. (I theorise that older corpses a generally harder to awaken even if well preserved than new corpses for this reason)

I think it might be as difficult to awaken coal as it is to awaken stone despite coal's and for that matter oil's connection to ancient life due to the sheer time elapsed.

We haven't really seen anyone try to awaken a whole dead plant before, but we have seen them awaken things related to plants. (ropes, etc.) If you were to awaken a tree which has just recently died would it see itself as being alive enough to become a lifeless?

Simpler, can you make Ents using Awakening?

---

Would it know how to move its legs if you carve them into it quickly enough? Maybe with the same movement mechanism as the cloth or rope it still could regardless (Trees branches and roots are surprisingly flexible). @Faceless Mist-Wraith

Edited by Awaken Returner

I think this might work, though the issue might be whether the tree would be too stiff to move.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, Awaken Returner said:

I believe it takes the 10th heightening to create sentient awakened objects like an ent would be and you should be careful about the command you use.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, Karger said:

I believe it takes the 10th heightening to create sentient awakened objects like an ent would be and you should be careful about the command you use.

It's 9th heightening, but I think they mean literally like a lifeless so a gray dead tree that acts like it's alive. I think you would need multiple breaths to awaken this even if you replaced the sap with alcohol due to the fact that it isn't human, but I think it would work.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:24 PM, Awaken Returner said:

I don't think it would create a Lifeless tree, at least not how you're thinking.

I think what you're looking for is simply an Awakened log that's told - via it's command - to act as an Ent would.

My understanding of Lifeless is that they're awakened with one breath and it acts similarly to how it acted when it was alive. A Lifeless tree would therefore - in my understanding - turn grey, continue to lie on the ground, and maybe grow a little bigger over time.

I don't have all the answers of course, but I think you're confusing Lifeless with regular Awakening on one important point: making things Lifeless does not make them act human. We see that when Vasher (I think it's Vasher, it's been a while) creates a Lifeless squirrel.

Hopefully this is helpful.

On 10/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, Saodar said:

I don't think it would create a Lifeless tree, at least not how you're thinking.

I think what you're looking for is simply an Awakened log that's told - via it's command - to act as an Ent would.

My understanding of Lifeless is that they're awakened with one breath and it acts similarly to how it acted when it was alive. A Lifeless tree would therefore - in my understanding - turn grey, continue to lie on the ground, and maybe grow a little bigger over time.

I don't have all the answers of course, but I think you're confusing Lifeless with regular Awakening on one important point: making things Lifeless does not make them act human. We see that when Vasher (I think it's Vasher, it's been a while) creates a Lifeless squirrel.

Hopefully this is helpful.

oh yeah. woops

4 hours ago, Booknerd said:

oh yeah. woops

Hey, no worries :) The fun is in the discovery, isn't it? This was fun to think about, thank you.

On 11/2/2019 at 0:18 PM, Saodar said:

Hey, no worries :) The fun is in the discovery, isn't it? This was fun to think about, thank you.

Thanks man no problem.