Who Will the Main Interlude Character Be?

Philomath

We are all speculating on where our main characters will be since Brandon’s latest update. But who do you all think the main Interlude character will be? So far in each book, the main interlude character has been a sort of antagonist. Szeth, Eshonai, and Venli. I’m leaning towards Moash/Vyre or Taravangian for this book. But I’m not 100% sure since both of them have had a few POVs not in interludes. So if not them, maybe Tezim/Ishar or Nale?

Or what other perspectives might we be offered in Interludes? I’m thinking maybe someone from the Horneater Peaks to get some more info on the weirdness up there, maybe the Stump from Edgedancer to see more Radiants, and if the main one is not Ishar or Nale, then maybe one of them. Or another Skybreakers squire. And perhaps one with some hints to more of the Heralds. 

1 minute ago, Turin Turambar said:

Ditto. I really want to find out how they ended up on Roshar, and what they're trying to do.

We won't find out how they got there until Nightblood releases forever from now, but Zahel/You-Know-Who is there for easy access to his lifesource of Investiture, while Azure is chasing him and Nightblood itself, with a focus on Nightblood. I just want to know why she's after the sword so much. What did she figure out/what did Endowment see that led to this happening? But sadly, I don't think we'll get any of that until Nightblood, which might end up cut anyway.

6 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

Yeah, but how did he find out about Worldhopping to know of Roshar? Hoid? I guess I'm really looking forward to Nightblood then, but they're my favorite cameo characters in the series (excluding Hoid, of course.)

Warbreaker spoilers here because I just remembered we were in the SA subforum:

Spoiler

Vasher has been worldhopping to Roshar for a very long time, along with the rest of the Five Scholars. Where he figured it out at is unknown yet, only that he's very good at it by this point. A couple thousand years of jumping to Roshar to observe Shardblades will do that, seeing as they modeled Nightblood after a Shardblade to begin with, only out of steel.

If I had to guess, Edgli instructed someone on how to worldhop and that got passed to Vasher somehow, though. Fits with her Intent of Endowment.

The other pattern is that the interlude throughline has always been someone we haven't had POVs from before. Admittedly, that's only a two book pattern and we are quickly running out of characters it applies to. But because we got so much of Moash in OB, I doubt it will be him. I suggested Taravangian for OB's interlude throughline... maybe I was one book early. :P

I would love for it to be Tezim but that feels like a long shot.

Another interesting long shot: Leshwi, since this book seems to be getting a lot of Singer focus.

Azure seems like a really solid guess though. If I were betting I think I'd put my money on her.

Edited by Jess

26 minutes ago, Jess said:

The other pattern is that the interlude throughline has always been someone we haven't had POVs from before. Admittedly, that's only a two book pattern and we are quickly running out of characters it applies to. But because we got so much of Moash in OB, I doubt it will be him. I suggested Taravangian for OB's interlude throughline... maybe I was one book early. :P

I would love for it to be Tezim but that feels like a long shot.

Another interesting long shot: Leshwi, since this book seems to be getting a lot of Singer focus.

Azure seems like a really solid guess though. If I were betting I think I'd put my money on her.

Leshwi is an interesting guess. It could give us hints about what they want with Moash if we don’t get any of his POVs. 

And yes Tezim seems like a long shot. Especially for this book. Maybe book 5 if he lives that long. 

If Moash is to have a redemption arc (#no redemption) then one of the first signs will probably be him being a primary interlude character.  Otherwise I think Taravangian is a good guess also either of the two Heralds they have in Urithuru's basement would make sense.

Lots of very good ideas.

So far we've had Szeth, Eshonai, and Venli. In other words, Brandon keeps using these to develop future flashback/main characters who aren't interacting with the main narrative(s). That makes me lean towards assuming he will go with Lift, Taln, or Ash.

Taravangian and Moash also make a lot of sense to me for similar reasons. Important characters that we're perhaps not going to see much of otherwise.

I can also see Navani or Renarin taking the spot.

Azure is a really fun idea. I can't decide if Brandon thinks we're ready for a strong Worldhopper PoV or not... A one-off Zahel interlude was one thing. A whole series of them is another level.

My money is on Lift or Moash.

55 minutes ago, Philomath said:

Just thought of another interesting possibility. Sja Anat or Ba Ado Mishram. Those would definitely be new perspectives to see from. 

Could be interesting. We'll see something about Sja-anat intersecting with Shallan's mission thing (unless that took place in the year-gap between 3 and 4), so it's a possibility.

8 hours ago, Inky said:

We have a lot of options. Moash, Rsyn, or even Dalinar could work, since he's less prominent in RoW 

I love Rysn and hope that her POV returns! I would love to see her try to get her legs healed again and interacting with Renarin.

10 minutes ago, Calyx said:

I love Rysn and hope that her POV returns! I would love to see her try to get her legs healed again and interacting with Renarin.

Good news for you, then! She tried to get her legs healed already, off-screen, before the Vault thing. She mentions it to Vstim, saying it was "too late." I would have loved to see the interaction with Renarin, though.

1 hour ago, Calyx said:

Wasn’t Rysn going to get a novella like Lift got in Edgedancer? Or did that turn into another thing Brandon ran out of time for? Maybe after he finishes the first draft of Book 4 but before Book 4 actually releases to tide us over. 

25 minutes ago, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

I would love to see Lirin or Hesina’s PoV in the interludes. Seems like Hearthstone and other smaller cities in Alethkar will have a lot going on around them and it would be nice to see it from someone living in the middle of it.

You should read the glimpse we got in the most recent newsletter, if you haven't already. I think you'll like it.

• Chaos locked this topic