Eshonai/Venli Arc Mirror

Philomath

Okay. So I was thinking about how the Eshonai flashbacks and Venli real time story will work out in Book 4. I’ve decided that they are going to mirror each other but kind of in a reverse way.

We know Eshonai was an explorer. She left home a lot. Young Eshonai is described in some ways as unreliable or undependable. But she grows a lot in responsibility after Gavilar’s assassination when she essentially opts to stop exploring and stays home to be a commander/general for the Listeners. 

Venli has been the one who stayed close to home. She explored in different ways through research. And right now, despite not actually liking the Fused or Odium, she isn’t leaving. She’s staying with what is most “familiar” for lack of a better word. But I would argue, that for her to take more responsibility, she is going to have to get out of her comfort zone, and leave. She may have convinced a part of the Singers to not follow the Fused and she will have to run away with them to protect them. 

So the flashbacks will show Eshonai growing in responsibility by coming home and the real time will show Venli growing by leaving it.

I think the burden of leadership is going to be a heavy theme. Definitely agree that Venli is going to have to step up as a leader among her people.

I think it's notable that Eshonai was in a really difficult position. She wanted to protect her people, but she DIDN'T want to be at war. This will surely play into Venli's themes as well.

• Chaos locked this topic