Main Characters of Rhythm of War

Wintersu

1 hour ago, Jofwu said:

I think you're misinterpreting that slightly. It's the arc itself that he labels "primary"--not the characters who take part in that story arc.

Oh I know, I was only using it as shorthand because the sentence was already rather meandering. But yeah I probably should have just said "characters in the primary arc".

5 hours ago, Jess said:

Oh I know, I was only using it as shorthand because the sentence was already rather meandering. But yeah I probably should have just said "characters in the primary arc".

Oh, I see now. Just misunderstood. Sorry. :)

I dont see why we have to stick to the focus characters of the back five. I don’t think they will be major here. 

Instead I suspect that we are going to see some Rock and some Moash. Both have been set up for storylines in OB, and both are in interesting places. It makes more sense to build the story with them than with someone like Lift or Navani, who are playing supporting roles this far, without their own arcs in the main series.

So I propose that Kaladin, Venli, Moash and one more (Szeth?) will be the four part storyline. It feels like the major one, and the one with most time dedicated to it. We will also get Singers here.

The second one will probably be Urithiru, and center around Shallan, Dalinar and Adolin. Other characters, like Jasnah or Mraize will obviously play a big part here, but Dalinar, Adolin and Shallan have still been major characters this far. Dropping them to promote a supporting character feels like a strange choice.

That leaves the last two, which is the mystery one. I propose Rock for this one, along with a random character. Renarin would make sense here, but Brandon could throw in Lift, Szeth or anyone really. Renarin will be my main bet though. I could also see Shallan being here, if she is looking for Unmade.

And then I have had the feeling that Sesemalex Dar and Ishar will show up in this book... but I guess that could happen in one of these arcs somehow. Maybe the one with Kal. I doubt he will spend 400k words hanging out with Herdazian Houdini. 

Do I want to participate? Maybe?

Okay. Ill bite. Short one this time.

DISCLAIMER: The following post is based on my own experience with drafting a novel, as well as my own analysis on the Stormlight Archive and is largely conjecture.

As I see it, there are three major plots left as of the end of OB with regards to characters. I know a lot of you like to focus on the stuff going on in the world, but you have to consider that most of that is backdrop for a story that primarily focuses on a very small cast of characters.

EDIT: If you were paying attention, Brandon said the book would be set up similarly to WoK, which featured the Alethkar political turmoil as the primary plot, with Shallan's plot secondary and the assassin in white as the tertiary told through the interludes. I have adapted this same formula to use to outline my predictions for RoW.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: As is indicated below, I am aware that Brandon phrased WoK as Book 1 being Kaladin's arc, Book 2 Dalinar, and Book 3 Shallan. I would assume he would do something similar here with RoW--however, this post is mostly discussing how character arcs would fit into the greater overarcing sociopolitical/world plots, and therefore I am distinguishing these plots from character arcs. If I were to talk about how the books might be laid out by character, I would still wager Kaladin to be the main point, Shallan to be the second, and possibly Adolin or Szeth--likely Szeth--as the third, with the rest told as interludes or additional viewpoints around those other events.

As I see it, our three main plots are as follows:

1. Politics in Urithiru.

2. Corrupted Spren.

3. The Singer/Odium conflict.

Keeping in mind also that the front five are primarily engineered to address the Radiants and the Recreance, we can therefore safely put aside most relevential points related to Ash or Taln. Neither has seen much light through the main plot thus far, and theres not much standing to say theyll get any more screen time then theyve had up to this point--that is, minimal.

So, how these shape up is the primary question. Well, let me break down by point.

1. Politics in Urithiru

This will probably be the most extensive section of the books. Bearing in mind that the books, at their core, are focused on Kaladin, Shallan, and Dalinar (in that order), even if Dalinar takes more of a back seat the story will still focus on these three primarily, and therefore the Primary arc to be this one. This is also where well find our drama with Mr. T and his crew, as well as a continuation of the political turmoil from OB (if you thought that was resolved with everyone unifying to fight Odium, then you havent read much about real world politics).

I place this point using the following characters: Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, & Jasnah.

Kaladin: The focus of his entire arc is integrally tied into the Knights Radiant and protecting the Alethi monarchy. After losing Elhokar, Kaladin's own natural impulse is going to be to double down on his duties in order to ensure he doesnt lose anyone else.

Dalinar: Though Dalinar will step back, plot-wise, he is still the ta'veren around which the SA plot is built. He may not have as much viewpoint time to make room for other characters, but he will still be on screen a significant amount.

Adolin: As highprince, he will be right here with the Urithiru party. Further, we have the fallout of Dalinars book to deal with.

Jasnah: As "King" of Alethkar, Jasnah will be front and center in the political schemes. I expect she will continue to grow in importance, perhaps taking on some of the scenes were losing from Dalinar.

2. Corrupted Spren

Since the spren are inherently tied to the Knights Radiant and the KR are he focus of the front five, I place this point as the secondary.

The characters I expect to deal with this arc: Shallan, Renarin, and Navani.

Shallan: First and foremost, my favorite unreliable narrator is intrinsically linked now to the Unmade--Sja-Anat, Corrupter of Spren, in particular. Add her own blocked memory and investigative nature, as well as her fascination with the corrupted spren, and we have our primary secondary arc viewpoint.

Renarin: As a Radiant bonded to a corrupt spren, Renarin is key to our understanding of this plot point.

Navani: Why Navani? Well, as we learned from OB, the spren of fabrials can be corrupted. This also might tell us why certain fabrials act the way they do, and few scholars are as renowned as Navani.

3. The Odium/Singer Conflict

Relegated to third by virtue of the conflict being mostly world-building and backdrop, its still a vital component with ramifications lasting beyond the front five. I predict that we wont actually see the end of this arc until the back five, since well be getting into Herald territory.

As a result, I kind of also think this is going to be the focus of the interludes and flashbacks, rather than heavy emphasis during the main sections, but I could easily be wrong here.

Characters: Szeth, Venli

Szeth: Loyal to Dalinar, but not quite trusted, I can see Szeths skills being utilized in helping Dalinar learn and understand the enemy. Further, theres the matter with Shinovar and the Oath of Crusade that he has to deal with.

Venli: Kind of obvious, but I place her here as well. Further, Im predicting shes going to be the focal point for an uprising of anti-Odium sentiment, much like she was the focal point for the pro-stormform sentiment in WoR. Civil War, then she brings her forces to Dalinar's aid to cap out the front five.

(I know that may not seem short to the unfamiliar, but if youve seen my other wallposts, youll understand how short this is.)

Edited by Alderant

8 hours ago, Alderant said:

EDIT: If you were paying attention, Brandon said the book would be set up similarly to WoK, which featured the Alethkar political turmoil as the primary plot, with Shallan's plot secondary and the assassin in white as the tertiary told through the interludes. I have adapted this same formula to use to outline my predictions for RoW.

I really like your analytical approach to the topic! Just to nitpick: Your description of the three TWoK plotline does not fully align with Brandon's description. 

In TwoK, Kaladin's complete arc was "book one" of my outline. Dalinar's was "book two" and Shallan's was "book three" with all of them being interwoven into the final product, and with Part Five being a capstone epilogue to them all. This novel is similar, though with more viewpoints. (from Stormlight book four update #3)

Don't know whether this would influence your analysis... 

4 hours ago, equinox said:

I really like your analytical approach to the topic! Just to nitpick: Your description of the three TWoK plotline does not fully align with Brandon's description. 

Don't know whether this would influence your analysis... 

I frequently make mistakes. As far as how it would change though, I still wouldnt change my analysis much, because although Kaladin and Dalinar may have been written as separate "books" they share the same overarcing plot, but from different angles...that is, theyre both right there, juxtaposing the Alethi society from two angles. Literarily, its pretty cool.

So, yeah, I lumped them together intentionally and I also lumped together the various points of the Urithiru political scene for brevitys sake. But you are correct, nonetheless. I should probably edit that edit....

• 7 months later...

Some recent updates have shed a little more light on the subject:

In Update Five, back in August, Brandon had completed Group 2, which is down to two characters. A character apparently moved, since Group 1 now has five characters. https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/cvvs75/stormlight_book_4_update_5/

In Update Six, about a month ago, Brandon said that he has completed Group 3, as well as the through-line interlude character. https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/du30gp/stormlight_book_four_update_6/

At the Starsight release, he said two interesting tidbits:

Questioner

In the characters of Stormlight, who's the most enjoyable to write about?

Brandon Sanderson

I like them all for different reasons. I really have been enjoying writing Navani lately, so she's been the most enjoyable. But it changes.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Questioner

Do we have a tentative working title for Stormlight Four?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it's called Rhythm of War, most likely. But I have to work that in as an in-world book. And if it doesn't work, then... And I have the place that I'm going to work it in, but when I get there, if it doesn't work, then I'm gonna have to go back to the drawing board. Which is why I haven't said for sure that's what it is, yet.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Navani appears to be one of the main characters or the interlude character, since Brandon has been writing enough of her to list her as a main character.

Since the Rhythm of War in-universe appearance hasn't been written yet, that means it's a part of the Group 1 sequence, so that leads me to believe that Venli is one of the Group 1 characters.

Most of my original guesses still hold up. (To summarize, I think Group 1 is the front lines of the war, Group 2 is politics in Urithiru, and Group 3 is date night travelling around the world.) If I had to move one character from Group 2 to Group 1... probably Jasnah. Maybe she makes appearances in both sequences, but her POVs are getting shifted to the battlefront.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:08 PM, Pagerunner said:

Some recent updates have shed a little more light on the subject:

In Update Five, back in August, Brandon had completed Group 2, which is down to two characters. A character apparently moved, since Group 1 now has five characters. https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/cvvs75/stormlight_book_4_update_5/

In Update Six, about a month ago, Brandon said that he has completed Group 3, as well as the through-line interlude character. https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/du30gp/stormlight_book_four_update_6/

At the Starsight release, he said two interesting tidbits:

Navani appears to be one of the main characters or the interlude character, since Brandon has been writing enough of her to list her as a main character.

Since the Rhythm of War in-universe appearance hasn't been written yet, that means it's a part of the Group 1 sequence, so that leads me to believe that Venli is one of the Group 1 characters.

Most of my original guesses still hold up. (To summarize, I think Group 1 is the front lines of the war, Group 2 is politics in Urithiru, and Group 3 is date night travelling around the world.) If I had to move one character from Group 2 to Group 1... probably Jasnah. Maybe she makes appearances in both sequences, but her POVs are getting shifted to the battlefront.

Really hoping for some Navani Urithiru research, further fabrial research, some possible bondsmithing or dustbringing. Cannot wait for Magitech!

40 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Really hoping for some Navani Urithiru research, further fabrial research, some possible bondsmithing or dustbringing. Cannot wait for Magitech!

I can't wait until Navani and Venli compare notes it is far far far past time this happened.

• Chaos locked this topic