Does Adonalsium have (or had) a vessel?

Keeper Exile

Is it possible that Adonalsium had or has a vessel? I haven't researched extensively on the subject, but I believe that Adonalsium had some sort of consciousness, due to the fact that he/she/it was referred to as a god and gods are usually beings of immense power and intelligence. And if Adonalsium does have/had a vessel, then is that vessel still alive and who is it? (If there is a WoB for this, please let me know. I am not experienced in navigating the Arcanum yet.

Well, there was something there that no longer exists. Adonalsium shattered because he was killed, in Sandman's own words (see WOB below). It is possible that it was an Investiture-composed being, though, having arisen from the raw amount of Investiture left alone for long enough (that happens) which would throw a little bit of complication in, but also maybe explain the emphasis on the "weapon" used to kill Adonalsium (which would make it probably an aluminum weapon, because how else are you going to kill a being of raw Investiture [except maybe a Shardweapon, if that whole thing was going in any form yet, which I fairly doubt]?).

It is, at its core, debatable if it was a pure-Investiture being or something else.

imriel452 (Paraphrased)

I asked for "Info on why Adonalsium shattered".

Brandon Sanderson

Adonalsium Shattered because he was killed.

General Signed Books 2016 (Feb. 1, 2016)

Edited by Invocation

While it is just my opinion, I personally don't think that Adonalsium did have a Vessel. 

I believe that Adonalsium was something akin to a massive spren. A mind born of the power itself. As such, this allowed the intents to be formed. 

When a Vessel holds a Shard and that Vessel is killed and/or the Shard splintered the power separates from the mind that was guiding it. In the case of Adonalsium, a mind born of the power itself, I don't believe there was anything to separate from. As such, the mind itself was ripped apart with the power and formed the intents that drive the Shards now. 

I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if aluminum killed Adonalsium. I would expect the murder weapon to be more related to Spiritual Connection, as it is the only force (that I can think of) we have seen directly effect Shards. The orb that Kelsier stole from the Ire and the Oathpact being prime examples.

2 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if aluminum killed Adonalsium. I would expect the murder weapon to be more related to Spiritual Connection, as it is the only force (that I can think of) we have seen directly effect Shards. The orb that Kelsier stole from the Ire and the Oathpact being prime examples.

Agreed I hope that instead of killing him they more pulled him apart. 

My current Hoid theory is that his master was in fact the shard holder of Adonalsium.

7 hours ago, Karger said:

My current Hoid theory is that his master was in fact the shard holder of Adonalsium.

I don't think so. If you read the sample chapters of the Liar of Partinel, it gives the very first chapter and then skips to chapter 25.

Spoiler

The very first chapter is a character named Hoid dying, and Hoid's apprentice Midius setting out on a quest. I can only assume that Midius is the modern Hoid*, and I would assume that the Shattering of Adonalsium is a major event in the Dragonsteel books, not simply an introduction to a book.

*I assume that Midius is Hoid because we know that "Hoid" is within a few decades of his real name.

Note, as the Liar of Partinel sample chapters are subject to Brandon changing them in the final draft, so none of this is set in stone. However, I believe that at least the first chapter is an identifier that, no, the modern Hoids' master was not Adonalsium.

Adonalsium...

Alright, so we know that we have Dragonsteel coming- that's going to explain Hoid, the Shattering, Shards (and their holders) , etc. We know that Adonalsium is an incredibly powerful being, the likes of which have never been seen in the Cosmere, he's 16/maybe 17 shards all combined into one entity. This means practically endless power. If Adonalsium simply is a large amount of investiture, it would be incredibly difficult to kill him, as he would have nearly perfect shardaic foresight, probably seeing if any aluminum is coming near him. Aluminum would be a cheap way to take out a god, and I think we know Sanderson better than that. If he's going to kill a god, it's going to be incredibly epic, dramatic, and will probably take about half of a book to explain. 

• Chaos locked this topic