Venli's next oaths?

Karger

As of Oathbringer Venli has bonded a Lightspren and become the first WIllshaper(that we know of) in several centuries.  What do you think her(Do you use her for a singer not in mateform?  I think so but why?  They are not female.) next oaths will be. 

My current guess is that oath 2 will be "I will create that which brings joy to others."

And oath 3 will be "I will be careful in how I bestow my creations."

Thoughts? 

I really like your ideas! Especially the first one. 

I have a feeling one of the oaths will be about accepting responsibility, and putting the needs of others before your own. This is just based on how Eshonai gives up her personal freedom and dreams of exploring the world to serve her people as one of their leaders. 

It would also work really well with Venli transformation from power-hungry egotist to someone who cares about her people. 

with regards to pronouns the narration uses 'she' for Venli, and she's female-aligned even if not exactly female, and many female-aligned non-binary people irl use 'she' pronouns.

I definitely think one of the Willshaper oaths deals with responsibility since the hints we have indicates that is a thing a lot of them has trouble with and the the fourth ideal in particular seems to deal with things members of the order tend to have trouble with. Extrapolating from the Windrunners anyway.

Something like these I imagine.

Oath 2: "I will stay the course, I will not falter"

Oath 3: "I will have the wisdom to question my choices, even when I believe they are right"

One of the oaths will probably have to do with building where others destroy.

I'm going off of the Divine Attributes of the Willshapers for this, Resolute and Builder.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

17 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I'm going off of the Divine Attributes of the Willshapers for this, Resolute and Builder.

Im not disagreeing but I must point out that the divine attributes are a model used by humans not something that actually exists.

I'll point out that it might be premature to expect Venli to swear any Oaths.  She doesn't have the usual Radiant bond with Timbre.  We haven't seen her use any sort of Surgebindings.  It's hard to imagine how she could summon her Shardblade if Timbre is hanging out in her gemheart.  Basically, while I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up following the usual Radiant Oath progression, I also wouldn't be surprised if she didn't.

1 minute ago, galendo said:

I'll point out that it might be premature to expect Venli to swear any Oaths.  She doesn't have the usual Radiant bond with Timbre.  We haven't seen her use any sort of Surgebindings.  It's hard to imagine how she could summon her Shardblade if Timbre is hanging out in her gemheart.  Basically, while I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up following the usual Radiant Oath progression, I also wouldn't be surprised if she didn't.

She's already sworn the First. Sure, the process will probably be altered by the unusual nature of her bond, but I highly doubt there won't be Oaths involved.

I want to put the idea forward that maybe the Willshaper oaths are very personalized like the Lightweavers'. The Willshapers were said to be the most varied of orders, so maybe they didn't have a very strict set of ideals either. Personally I don't think that's what their oaths look like, and I don't think it would be personal truths like for the Lightweavers, but I just wanted to put the idea out there that the oaths could be a little less straight forward than we think. 

8 hours ago, Ciridae said:

I want to put the idea forward that maybe the Willshaper oaths are very personalized like the Lightweavers'. The Willshapers were said to be the most varied of orders, so maybe they didn't have a very strict set of ideals either. Personally I don't think that's what their oaths look like, and I don't think it would be personal truths like for the Lightweavers, but I just wanted to put the idea out there that the oaths could be a little less straight forward than we think. 

I am not saying you are wrong but I think Lightweaver ideals as subjective truths come from the belief that truth and morality are subjective.  I don't think that any other order subscribes to this point of view.  I do think you are on to something with your point about them being the most varied order but it also may just be that the Willshapers are the mad inventor and explorer order so of course they are going to be crazy.

To clarify, I wasn't trying to say that they would also have truths instead of oaths, but rather that their oaths could be more individualistic than those of other orders. We see a bit of variation in how people in the same order say their oaths with the Windrunners, maybe the Willshaper oaths are even more different from one another than that. But like I said, I don't really think this is true, it's only and idea I had that I thought might be interesting. 

@SwordNimiForPresident 

"I will have the wisdom to question my choices, even when I believe they are right" sounds really good too, and I think it would fit the Stonewards really well. 

Edited by Ciridae

50 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

To clarify, I wasn't trying to say that they would also have truths instead of oaths, but rather that their oaths could be more individualistic than those of other orders. We see a bit of variation in how people in the same order say their oaths with the Windrunners, maybe the Willshaper oaths are even more different from one another than that. But like I said, I don't really think this is true, it's only and idea I had that I thought might be interesting. 

@SwordNimiForPresident 

"I will have the wisdom to question my choices, even when I believe they are right" sounds really good too, and I think it would fit the Stonewards really well. 

I expect the Stonewards to have an oath like the end of the pararescueman's creed, "That others may live".

7 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

Willshapers are all about adventure and traveling.

Clearly they earn their oaths by memorizing and singing the Pokemon theme song 

”The Words, say the Words, Venli!”

Pokémon!

Gotta catch ‘em all!”

Edited by Lunamor

On 4/16/2019 at 9:08 PM, Karger said:

Unfortunately their are no pokemon on Roshar

Pokemon is short for Pocket  Monsters.  From artist depictions of cremlings and axehounds, I would have to say that there are indeed pokemon on Roshar. The Rosharan varieties don't live in balls, only difference. 

As far as Venli's Ideals, my personal theory uses the divine attributes as a guide. The first attribute in the set involves what they vow, the second is what the vows build up to.  For example, Windrunners divine attributes are protecting/leading. Kaladin's Oaths are all about protection and as he masters these oaths he's becoming a better leader. If my theory is correct then Venli's oaths will be about her resolve as she works on becoming a better builder.

• Chaos locked this topic