Help with a character?

edgereader

My friend is working on a story and is having trouble working out something with one of the characters. The way the story works, the character needs to end up in Greece (or at least somewhere that used to be part of Ancient Greece). The character is currently planned to be American. My friend and I have both tried to figure out how a generally unmotivated college student ends up in Greece, but we're both coming up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They discover an ancient greek artifact and decide to travel to Greece to meet up with an archaeologist and figure out whether its worth any money. They figure that the artifact is worth millions and the trip will be worth the investment. Shenanigans ensue as the "artifact" proves to be a cheap chinese ornament.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this advice will help any at this point, but it may be worth reconsidering the character's unmotivated status. If the character is unmotivated then it's going to be hard to get them to Greece because, quite frankly, they have no motivation to go there. You could have an external force like parents or friends get the character there, but it may decrease likability for the character because they aren't making any decision to drive the plot forward. Maybe finding a different motivation that the character does have could be a way of connecting the character to Greece. Like a chess tournament that takes them there, or another passion. Just some thoughts.

I think the fact that the character is an unmotivated college student is the perfect formula for a trip to Greece.  Isn't that what millennials do?  Take a year off to tour Europe to find yourself or some other BS excuse to dodge responsibilities.  (Note: I apologize for generalizing millennials.  I am one....and I've never been to Greece...or Europe for that matter :(

• 4 months later...