Human Hybrids and their Unique Characteristics

I just finished listening to Rock's chapter in OB and noticed some things I hadn't picked up on before. This is mostly because a Shardcast I watched talked about human parshendi hybrids and that horneaters were one example of those. All of a sudden things in this chapter (and elsewhere) made sense. The Horneaters' Singer heritage is why they can see into the cognitive realm. Rock mentions being closer to the cognitive realm and being able to see spren in their entirety, not just the part that appears in the physical realm. He also mentions, when it is quiet and he focuses, that he can faintly hear the rhythms (he calls it something else, but it's obvious it's the rhythms).

This has made me wonder about some of the other mixed race humans on Roshar and what unique traits they might have (besides hard fingernails and teeth). Any thoughts? The the ones I can think of are Horneaters (Singer blood), Herdazians (Singer blood), Rirans (Iriali blood), and Nataans (Amian blood). Are there any others?

Edited by Brightness Jencee
Spelling

This is very much something I have wondered about. I would like to add, also the hybrid bond that Renarin has (part Knight Radiant, part Voidbinding), or the bond Venli has (part Voidbinding form, part Knight Radiant Willshaper). 

I expect we are going to see a LOT of hybrid bonds in the rest of the Stormlight Archive. And they will be important. 

Well we know the Natan people have blue skin do to them crossbreeding with amaians(hope I spelled that right).  I doubt the Natan people have the full range of abilities that we see Axies the collector display but they may have some variant of some of them.  Perhaps they sleep less?  This would be useful for a group known for their building prowess.  None stop labor and all that.  I belive the Iri are dragon human hybrids which is why they have a distinctive hair collaring but I do not believe they have any special abilities.  As you have mentioned the horneaters and herdazians are human singer hybrids.  This is why some horneaters can see spren, hear the rhythms, are tallier then average and have unique features.  Herdazians have fingernails colored like carapace.  Additionally, both groups have a higher then average number of asexual people in their populations.  I believe this is all we know at the moment.

Edited by Karger

2 hours ago, Karger said:

We also know the Iri are dragon human hybreads which is why they have a distinctive hair collaring but I do not belive they have any special abilities. 

Has this been verified? 

But if we do see any unique abilities, we will see it when they form Nahel bonds. We could also see it in Adolin & Renarin. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Karger @ZenBossanova @Scion of the Mists There’s definitely not been a confirmation of the Iriali being part dragon. I think what Karger was thinking about was some speculation on a Shardcast episode. Besides that, I’ve never heard anything about the dragon-Iriali connection before. 

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

There’s definitely not been a confirmation of the Iriali being part dragon. I think what Karger was thinking about was some speculation on a Shardcast episode. Besides that, I’ve never heard anything about the dragon-Iriali connection before. 

You could easily be right.  I do not know where the idea came from.

@Karger I wonder if the speculation about dragons can from the description of the Iriali people having golden, almost metallic looking, hair and skin that even has a golden sheen under the right light. I'm not personally on board with the Dragon idea, but do like the idea that they could have come from Yolen. Their own religion states that Roshar is the fourth world they have lived on. With their capital being the City of Shadows, I do wonder if they have any special abilities we haven't seen. 

Their "golden" description reminds me a little of how Elantrian's are "silvery."

• Chaos locked this topic