ShardShaper

7 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Hopefully: Lopen, Adolin, Gaz, Davar brothers

Yes, I really hope that Shallan's brothers die. They all seem to be completely useless and represent a huge liability for her. I hope their deaths, and her inability to prevent them, causes her to really examine who she is and begin putting herself back together (though I, unlike you apparently, hope that she is supported in this by a very much alive Adolin).

If Adolin dies attempting to protect her useless POS brothers, I'll be very sad.

4 hours ago, Rainier said:

Regretfully: Dalinar, Szeth, Nale, Taravangian, Teft, Rock

Plot Armor Protects Them: Kalladin, Shallan, Renarin, Lift, Jasnah

Dude!?

10 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Let's just say that I expect all of these characters to be alive at the start of book 10, then.

I wouldn't be so sure. BSandy isn't afraid to kill someone that you think is unkillable. The only one on that list that I think will 99% likely be alive at the start of 10 is Renarin.

Edited by Invocation

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

I wouldn't be so sure. BSandy isn't afraid to kill someone that you think is unkillable. The only one on that list that I think will 99% likely be alive at the start of 10 is Renarin.

I would add Lift to that list.

3 minutes ago, Calyx said:

I would not. I think he wants us to think Lift is gonna be there until the end but he's gonna yank the rug out from under us.

Then again, I'm notoriously bad at accurately predicting Sanderson Twists, so don't take my word for it.

Just now, Invocation said:

I would not. I think he wants us to think Lift is gonna be there until the end but he's gonna yank the rug out from under us.

Then again, I'm notoriously bad at accurately predicting Sanderson Twists, so don't take my word for it.

Yeah, I guess there are a lot of books between now and the last one. I just think that Lift hasn't really been important yet, and she - along with Renarin and I think Jasnah - is supposed to be a big player through the back half.

Related, I think Jasnah dying before book 10 is also highly unlikely, but I'd probably only give her a 90% chance of survival.

1 hour ago, Calyx said:

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

I think he wants us to think Lift is gonna be there until the end but he's gonna yank the rug out from under us.

A man can always dream, I suppose, but unfortunately I think she'll also be alive at the start of book 10. 100% alive at the start of book 6. I think he wants us to like Lift because he likes Lift, and wants to write a juvenile character because he enjoys it.

My only hope is that adult Lift is significantly different from child Lift, but somehow I don't think that will happen. 

The only character that I'd really be surprised and sad to see die is Kaladin. I know it isn't just his story, but it's always felt that way because the series started with him. 

59 minutes ago, Rainier said:

The only character that I'd really be surprised and sad to see die is Kaladin. I know it isn't just his story, but it's always felt that way because the series started with him. 

Oh you might be in for a ringer, then, because Kaladin might be one of the least-likely-to-survive characters unless his fourth Oath helps him with his savior complex. If it doesn't, he's likely to sacrifice himself.

Edited by Invocation

27 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Oh you might be in for a ringer, then, because Kaladin might be one of the least-likely-to-survive characters unless his fourth Oath helps him with his savior complex. If it doesn't, he's likely to sacrifice himself.

Eh, I doubt it. One of the defining things, that keeps fuelling his depression and his perceived guilt, is that he somehow always survives, while those he wants to protect don't or atleast end up hurt. He also isn't that easy to kill.

5 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Eh, I doubt it. One of the defining things, that keeps fuelling his depression and his perceived guilt, is that he somehow always survives, while those he wants to protect don't or atleast end up hurt. He also isn't that easy to kill.

Yeah, the issue that he always survives is part of it. He's more likely to metaphorically jump in front of a bullet to save the others than let anyone else sacrifice themselves to do so. There's only so many times you can do that before the raw odds overcome you. Yes, he is hard to kill, but at this point, everyone on the other side knows that, and they'll try even harder to kill him due to his repeated foiling of their efforts. They're levelling their best efforts to take him off the field, along with Dalinar, and since he's still on the "Protecting Dalinar" kick, both he and Szeth are probably going to die in that pursuit. 

On 16/04/2019 at 10:35 PM, Rainier said:

I agree, don't believe either Kaladin or Shallan will die before saying their fifth oath/truth.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:35 PM, Rainier said:

I agree with most of this but I think that Brandon has plans for Balat Davar. (namely becoming a Dustbringer in RoW) He might still die but his death will be self inflicted ( either as a tragic hero or tragically manipulated violent antagonist) rather than the "damsels that Shallan can't save" fate that awaits Wikim and Jushu.  

He is definitely killing either Kaladin or Teft but I think there is a strong chance that Teft is the one that survives, shouldering the enormous burden of replacing Kal. 

I also don't think he is killing Rock. He needs to go become King of the Peaks and establish a dynasty that will be plot relevant in 6-10

• Chaos locked this topic