Does Dalinar now know about Adonalsium?

Atreides

Question

I think I have a grasp on this but I want some help with it.  At the battle of Thaylen Field Dalinar held Honor and used the power when he united the 3 realms and created Honor's Perpendicularity.  The Coppermind says that any person that does this (holds the power of a Shard) becomes a Sliver.  It also says that a Sliver knows it is a Sliver.  Does this mean that Dalinar has gained knowledge of the Cosmere?  Does he now have a better understanding of what the 3 realms are, and what happened to Ashyn, and the presence of other Slivers & Shards through the Cosmere?  And if so, how does everyone think he will he use this info in the fight against Odium?

16 answers to this question

I think that Dalinar did Ascend and is now a Sliver, but that the amount of Honor that he held at the time was much smaller than even the amount at the Well of Ascension. So he gained some knowledge (like sensing the Orders of the people around him?) but not much beyond a greater insight into the Rosharan systems.

On 4/11/2019 at 0:42 PM, not an Evil Librarian said:

Harmony, while holding two full shards didn't seem to know much about the cosmere. He even mispronounces Adonalsium. perhaps over time, he learnd more as he searches through the history of the power, but merely holding the shards does not seem to grant him an innate knowledge of the cosmere.

Brandon confirmed that was a typo, though the point is generally valid in that Sazed clearly didn't learn any really useful information about Adonalsium by the time he produced the epigraphs, at which point he'd Ascended for long enough to relocate Scadrial, terraform it back to its original ecology and adjust all the flora and fauna that Rashek had previously tweaked back to their original forms as well. So he'd had some amount of time with two full Shards and didn't get more than a name and vague sense that his power was a part of something larger, once. Dalinar shouldn't have gotten even that much then.

I don't recall holding a shard granting the user full awareness. I do think that would be a cop-out to have someone hold a piece of Adonalsium and know everything. I'd much rather see the realisation play a larger part in the Cosmere rather than a simple grab-and-know.