Do Parshendi have Gemhearts?

ShardShaper

WARNING

The following contains spoilers about Parshendi anatomy & Oathbringer. You have been warned

Do Parshendi have gemhearts? If they did, it would explain a LOT of things. For one, at the beginning of "The way of Kings" Szeth says that "Voidbringers could hold [stormlight] perfectly". Now, if we assume that this refers to the Parshendi, this could be because of Parshendi anatomy. OR, it could be because they store it in a gemheart. Parshendi can also switch forms by bonding with spren. Most assume that this is because of a form of nahel bond. BUT, what if the spren ACTUALLY went into their gemheart, and turned them into some kind of "Living fabrial". This would also explain how the Fused posses the Singers in oathbringer.

Yep, they do have gemhearts. They are where the voidbringer spren reside. They spren they bond to change forms are located in their gemhearts. Venli’s Radiant spren also resides in her gemheart.

Edited by Lunamor

38 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

WARNING

The following contains spoilers about Parshendi anatomy & Oathbringer. You have been warned

Do Parshendi have gemhearts? If they did, it would explain a LOT of things. For one, at the beginning of "The way of Kings" Szeth says that "Voidbringers could hold [stormlight] perfectly". Now, if we assume that this refers to the Parshendi, this could be because of Parshendi anatomy. OR, it could be because they store it in a gemheart. Parshendi can also switch forms by bonding with spren. Most assume that this is because of a form of nahel bond. BUT, what if the spren ACTUALLY went into their gemheart, and turned them into some kind of "Living fabrial". This would also explain how the Fused posses the Singers in oathbringer.

I think he said the original knights radiant... I could be wrong, but I don't see why he'd reference the voidbringers in the middle of a fight where he was using his radiant powers to kill, and where he lamented the killing. I think he also said they were far better containers, not perfect ones. Unless I'm very mistaken...

@ShardShaper Welcome to the Shard!  

Parshendi do indeed have gemhearts, good catch.  You can find out more info on their Coppermind page: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Singer#Gemheart.  

P.s. Regarding spoilers: spoiler warnings are not required if you are posting in that book's specific forums (so unmarked Stormlight spoilers are okay here but not in the Mistborn forum).  If you are posting cross-book spoilers, you can use the button that looks like an eye to insert a spoiler box.  

On 4/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, ShardShaper said:

WARNING

All the singers have gemhearts. This is confirmed by Venli in Oathbringer. She describes it as small, cloudy white, almost the color of bone.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this is confirmed, but I find it likely that any creature native to Roshar probably has some kind of gemheart. Ryshadium in particular have a spren bond similar to greatshells, (part of the reason they both grow so large compared to other creatures like them,) which is tantamount to a declaration for me that they have gemhearts. Honestly, that should have been clue enough to see Brandon's revelation coming as to why the Knights Radiant disbanded...

8 minutes ago, daanan said:

I don't know if this is confirmed, but I find it likely that any creature native to Roshar probably has some kind of gemheart. Ryshadium in particular have a spren bond similar to greatshells, (part of the reason they both grow so large compared to other creatures like them,) which is tantamount to a declaration for me that they have gemhearts. Honestly, that should have been clue enough to see Brandon's revelation coming as to why the Knights Radiant disbanded...

Yeah, if you reread knowing that humans were the original invaders, you start to see things don't quite add up, such as everything else having both a gemheart and having adapted in some way to life with the highstorms, while humans just.. haven't. 

15 hours ago, daanan said:

I agree that all/most native species have gemhearts - but the Ryshadium aren't native.  They have begun to form spren bonds, but they came with the humans.  

Questioner

I'm really curious about Ryshadium. Is there something bigger about them?

Brandon Sanderson

It's not super-huge. They are non-native species who have started to form spren bonds like native species do. So, a symbiotic bond with a spren has started happening. Ryshadium are horses that have done that, basically. You could say that humans have done the same thing. Non-native species that have started to form spren bonds. The Ryshadium are the only other non-native species that that has started happening. Like the chasmfiends have a symbiotic relationship with the spren that they have, the Ryshadium have a spren.

It's not as visible, but it is there.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

On 5/27/2019 at 6:56 PM, The Wanderer said:

Yeah, if you reread knowing that humans were the original invaders, you start to see things don't quite add up, such as everything else having both a gemheart and having adapted in some way to life with the highstorms, while humans just.. haven't. 

Yes, after the reveal I was kicking myself for not seeing it. Brandon gave obvious hints by having it mentioned several times how horses didn’t fit with other Rosharan animals and if you think about humans neither do they. I’m beginning to believe all if not most native Roshar beings have gemstones and a natural bond with spren. 

2 hours ago, Lidolas said:

I can't remember which book or who said it, but wasn't it mentioned that when the war first started humans were harvesting the Parshendi gemhearts after battles?

I could be wrong but I it was the gems in their beards they were harvesting after battles. Remember the male Listeners wear gems in their beards. 

5 minutes ago, TruthlessGancho said:

I could be wrong but I it was the gems in their beards they were harvesting after battles. Remember the male Listeners wear gems in their beards. 

Not what he meant.  The old songs talk about humans hunting singer gemhearts during the desolation.  This is why disturbing the dead is a taboo in singer culture.  As to the gemstones in their beards I belive that those come from greatshells like the casmfiends.

On 5/31/2019 at 3:23 PM, Karger said:

Not what he meant.  The old songs talk about humans hunting singer gemhearts during the desolation.  This is why disturbing the dead is a taboo in singer culture.  As to the gemstones in their beards I belive that those come from greatshells like the casmfiends.

Opps might have misinterpreted the meaning. I was thinking of a Dalinar pov from WOK when it was mentioned how the Alethi made a point to send people into the chasms to collect the gems the male Listeners wore in their beards. 

• Chaos locked this topic