Coinshot / Spinner Twinborn

Nivikyesac

So, I couldn't find a thread discussion on this topic of twinborn possibilities. 

I honestly dont know why I have it in my head that this combination could lead to some really interesting/power things.  And I kinda want to talk to people about it.

So a steel allomancer can push on metals while a chromium feruchemist can store Luck to tap into at a later time.

This could lead to really cool trick shots and all around fun reading I think. And it doesnt help I have it in my head a character being of this type of twinborn and saying something along the lines of "I guess that was a... lucky shot" after they get out of a close scrap with someone.

50 minutes ago, Nivikyesac said:

This could lead to really cool trick shots and all around fun reading I think. And it doesnt help I have it in my head a character being of this type of twinborn and saying something along the lines of "I guess that was a... lucky shot" after they get out of a close scrap with someone.

While I do like the idea, I don't think that F-chromium works in that way. It's not luck in the "lucky" sense. It seems to work more like destiny. It's like comparing Mat and Perin from The Wheel of Time (if you've read it)

WOT spoilers

Spoiler

Mat is lucky in the normal sense. He falls down and accidentally stabs someone sneaking up on him. Perin is lucky in a more destiny sense. He is in the right place to shape important evens (Mat has this too, but it's less thematic for him IMO). They're similar but not the same.

Hoid spoilers (from SA I think?)

Spoiler

I would also compare it to how Hoid knows where he needs to be, but not why he's supposed to be there.

I agree with the above assessment.  Luck might move you to a more favorable position over a long period of time but I doubt that it will allow you perfect marksmanship or anything like that. Great question to ask Brandon though.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

I agree with the above assessment.  Luck might move you to a more favorable position over a long period of time but I doubt that it will allow you perfect marksmanship or anything like that. Great question to ask Brandon though.

I kind of asked something along those lines a couple years back, whether storing Fortune would make you more likely to suffer effects similar to the entropy curse from The Dresden Files (so tapping it would make good coincidences more likely) and was told that F-Chromium may not do what we think it does (paraphrased) and that he intended to RAFO all questions on the subject until it showed up in the books. Odds are he's not going to answer a question about Spinners and marksmanship for the same reason.

Sidenote since WoT has already been mentioned, the curse from Dresden Files is functionally similar to the crazy coincidences ta'veren cause by being in an area (specifically, the negative coincidences) except directed at a specific individual. I think Jim Butcher had entirely too much fun with one of them... :D

A chromium Ferring is known as a Spinner. Chromium is used to store Fortune. A Spinner filling a chromiummind will be unlucky, and can tap it to increase his luck.

That's from the coppermind entry on chromium, taken from alloy of law ars arcanum. I do remember that the arcanum specifically used the word lucky. I think lucky shots would be a reasonable outcome of this.

So I think your character would work, @Nivikyesac. But storing fortune would be dangerous.

I have thought a Chromium compounder could make an interesting character, if Brandon wants to recycle the unbeatable compounding villain story. But it would be entertaining to see our heroes fall into hilarious and unlikely catastrophes whenever they try to take him. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it did work a bit like Matt’s ‘luck.’ It’s worth noting that Matt didn’t always find it lucky! Like the time his attempts to avoid battle somehow lead him to the heart of it - exactly where he needed to be.

So a trick shot might work - or you end up accidentally killing your friend who, it turns out, was actually going to sell you out... or it kills the local lord, who was a horrible person, but now you’re wanted for murder and need to run... or you miss, but that turns out to be the best thing to happen...

I always liked how Matt’s ‘luck’ wasn’t exactly what one would consider ‘lucky.’

It's worth noting that the AA entries are done by Khriss and aren't always 100% correct. Being lucky or unlucky might just be what it looks like vs the actual effect of manipulating Fortune. Hoid's use of Fortune is what lets him know where to be and atium was Brandon's way of introducing Fortune to readers.

• Chaos locked this topic