Is Roshar closer to the cognitive realm than all other cosmere worlds?

ShardShaper

• ShardShaper changed the title to Is Roshar closer to the cognitive realm than all other cosmere worlds?

I would guess no. But there are far larger amounts of investiture moving through Roshar's system than the other cosmere planets, possibly making it much easier to transition across the realms.

That, or the spren are unique in their greater ability to transition between the realms. We'd have to put them on other planets to find out though.

Also, I'm not sure if its truly confirmed that Honor's perpendicularity is inside the highstorm or not.

I don't think that's the case, since the shades on Threnody behave in a similar way, and Threnody doesn't have any Shard Invested.

9 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

I would guess no. But there are far larger amounts of investiture moving through Roshar's system than the other cosmere planets, possibly making it much easier to transition across the realms.

I like the idea ... the more Invested Shards, the closer the realms on a world, that sound plausible. However, that would not be the reason for the spren interaction, since we know that spren were active on Roshar before any Shards arrived.

Regarding Honor's perpendicularity, we saw it and it was not inside a highstorm. I personally was under the impression that the gloryspren were the perpendicularity, e.g. formed it when enough of them were in one place.

Relevant 

Steeldancer

Would it be correct to say that the highstorms on Roshar have left the realms closer together than on other worlds? 

Brandon Sanderson

You could say [that] is true. I'd be comfortable with that idea. Though there are worlds where this goes even further than on Roshar.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 4, 2018)

WARNING

SPOILERS IN THIS POST

A large part of my theory is the fact that at the end of oathbringer when Dalinar summons Honor's perpendicularity, spren become visible in their true form, and Ivory (Jasnah's Ink spren) says that Shadesmar is closer than normal. This shows that the Cognitive Realm's location in relation to the physical realm is a factor in spren visibility.

15 hours ago, Elegy said:

I like the idea ... the more Invested Shards, the closer the realms on a world, that sound plausible. However, that would not be the reason for the spren interaction, since we know that spren were active on Roshar before any Shards arrived.

It doesn't even need the shards. Roshar naturally has a massive amount of investiture moving through its system, even before the shards arrived as you pointed out. The highstorm has been in place since old Adon built the place. There is a question of how much the shards meddles. Obviously Honor claimed the highstorm as his own, but we don't know if he amped it up or not.

I think its less the realms as a whole are closer, and more that the large amounts of investiture piece the borders, making it easier to view and move between them when large amounts of investiture are present (see the highstorms, Honor perp, probably Culti's as well)

@ShardShaper Investiture pierces the three realms, so it makes sense that large amounts will make viewing shadesmar, and spren by extension, easier. And good point about Shinovar. Although that might be because spren don't live over there since they feed on the highstorm. Also, please avoid double posting, just edit the previous post. And in the editior, on the top bar, there is a symbol with an eye, use that for spoilers, like so;

Spoiler

Super secret spoiler.

• 1 month later...

I'd have to dig deep to find it, but I recall there being a WoB about Spren on Roshar pre-dating the arrival of Honour and Cultivation, so that likely has something to do with why they're so visible there, too.

Maybe relevant, because the purpose mentioned might be connected to this:

Questioner (paraphrased)

How is Ashyn earth-like given its orbit? It should be even less habitable than Roshar.

Brandon (paraphrased)

The Rosharan system was manifactured for a specific purpose. The position of the moons isn’t stable and even the continent itself might eventually vanish.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

As to the idea of Roshar being closer to the Cognitive than any other world... That's actually been asked. 

Steeldancer

Would it be correct to say that the highstorms on Roshar have left the realms closer together than on other worlds? 

Brandon Sanderson

You could say [that] is true. I'd be comfortable with that idea. Though there are worlds where this goes even further than on Roshar.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 4, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic