Joker Trailer

ILuvHats

I am way too obsessed with this trailer. I’ve watched it more than 20 times since it came out, returning almost daily. Obviously, I’m super psyched, so here are my thoughts.

IMO, their take on the joker is looking very unique. I really don’t think Joaquin Phoenix is drawing on Heath Ledger that much apart from the darkness of his character. This version is obviously a lot more grounded, and it’ll be interesting to see the joker as someone who’s mentally ill, someone who has problems a lot of us can relate to as opposed to being a force of nature like in the Dark Knight. Off the bat it looks like Arthur Fleck is struggling with depression in some form, along with other mental illnesses possibly. I really love the dichotomy that comes from this, the joker usually being a maniac who is always gleeful. And that one line: “I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize, it’s a comedy.” Gives me chills.

Phoenix’s acting is of course superb. He’s got the laugh right on the money. And the expression on his face beneath the make up is sometimes downright disturbing. He’ll have this dead, murderous frown beneath the painted on smile, the kind of thing you’d imagine seeing on an actual serial killers face. And the supporting cast looks really well fleshed out too, with amazing actors/actresses like Zazie Beetz and Robert Dinero.

The feel of the trailer is what really  sold it. The taxi driver, comedy show feel combined with the grittiness is unlike anything else I’ve seen. The music really helps put you in the mood, and it’s so strange, yet so right how triumphant the score is at the end as Fleck completes his descent into madness.

Looking back over the trailer, there’s so much to find that makes you appreciate how well choreographed it is. The two stairway scenes, with Fleck ascending them at the beginning looking beaten down, then dancing down them towards the end as the Joker really draw attention to how freeing it can be to give in to the madness, and how Fleck finally finds an identity for himself in the joker. And the references they make to the previous iterations of the joker is really cool. First of all, the trailer was released in Heath Ledgers birthday. And you can see a street sign referencing Jerome, the version of the Joker in Gotham, plus a sign in the comedy club that says Pogo, which is a reference to John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer who dressed as a clown.

Anyways, I’m really excited. I have a few reservations since films do occasionally release amazing trailers, and then bomb in theaters (cough cough Watchmen). And it’s possible we won’t get as much action as I would like since it’s a character study. But overall I am PUMPED, and, dare I say it, possible looking forward to this movie more than Endgame.

I'm quietly optimistic about this film.

When designing a film built around a character like the Joker one has to tread carefully, as the character has for most of his life been defined by his lack of a backstory. The again, as a character he has always been defined by his relationship with Batman, so without the bat what is left? This leaves the film in a place no other Batman project has explored.

I hope they don't end up glorifying mental illness or make it so that it appears as if the Joker was justified in becoming a monster. 

(Glances at a metaphorical fridge wearily)

Beyond the story itself it is fascinating to consider the implications of what might happens if this film does well at the box office. Compared to the current blockbusters being made with their monolithic budgets a film of a smaller scale may prompt Warner Bros. and other companies to invest in more middle-of-the-road budgeted films. Such a result could lead to a greater diversity of films which would be good.

Until October then!*

And remember... never stop smiling.

*joketober? Octjoker? J-tober? Joaqtober?

2 hours ago, Pagliacci said:

When designing a film built around a character like the Joker one has to tread carefully, as the character has for most of his life been defined by his lack of a backstory. The again, as a character he has always been defined by his relationship with Batman, so without the bat what is left? This leaves the film in a place no other Batman project has explored.

I hope they don't end up glorifying mental illness or make it so that it appears as if the Joker was justified in becoming a monster. 

I agree, it's a careful line to tread when dealing with mental illness. I don't think they'll glorify it or anything because I trust Joaquin Phoenix to bring the gravitas and realism when dealing with these real life problems, based on his past performances. And though I'm not familiar with Todd Phillips, I know the cast was closely involved with then script and helped write a lot of their character's parts, so I have hope they'll strike the right balance, though you never know. Also, as for the Joker being justified by becoming a monster, it depends what you mean by justified. If they do it right, we'll understand why he's gone they way he's gone and even sympathize with him a little, but also be horrified by what he's become. I definitely don't want the joker to be a hero. I want to see him go waaayyy off the deep end and become a monster. But instead of being terrified of this monster because we know nothing about it and we can never truly understand it, this will be a monster that is terrifying because it used to be us. Because we realize all it takes is one bad day, and any one of us could become a monster too. That's how I imagine it going if they pull off the movie.

Edited by ILuvHats

I completely agree with you. Sorry for the confusion, by justified I meant morally right. I don't want the film to make it look like the Joker was morally right. I want it to make sense of course :) . To quote Batman from The Killing Joke 'maybe ordinary people don't always crack. Maybe there isn't any need to crawl under a rock with all the other slimey things when trouble hits. Maybe it was just you,'

I thought it looked pretty dumb myself. Will be a Netflix or HBO watch for me. I’m not DC superfan so while I know Phoenix can do a disturbed character like Commodus I think he is to old to pull this role in an origin story. Maybe he is older in comics idk. Just seems off big time to me.

Edited by Briar King

I wonder if this movie would be good if only it wasn't supposed to be a Joker movie. 

I like the direction away from Jared Leto, I don't like the Joker having a backstory. The memoriability of the Joker is in his simplicity, a simplicity that almost turns him into a force. He's not supposed to be a developed character. 

That said, if the reviews are fine, I might check it out.