What are your favorite villains?

Personally, mine are Sadeas, the Lord Ruler, and the Gyorn. 

On Sadeas: I haven't met a slimier villain yet!

Lord Ruler: I like his humanity (in its own twisted way).

Gyorn: I like the missionary sort of take, I have yet to read another villain with this sort of forboding religious context. 

I'll always have a fondness for Ruin. It was just mind-beding seeing that power in action back when I didn't have a clue about the Cosmere and stuff. How could I have expected them to go from fighting a fake god to fighting a "real" one that makes volcanos erupt because he likes it? It blew my mind.

As a character, Paalm might be my favorite villain yet because of how relatable she is. I'm not the biggest fan of SoS, but that ending. That ending.

As a whole though, Brandon is one of the few writers to write more compelling protagonists than antagonists, in my book.

Sadeas definitely had a certain je ne sais quoi about him. Amaram was a solid villain too but could've gotten more build up in OB, without which it frankly felt a bit convenient.

But honestly if I had to pick one it would have to be Bluefingers. IMHO,warbreaker is by far one of the best books I've ever read, and i love how many times it subverts my expectations until I finally realised that Bluefingers was behind it all, along with his pahn kahl friends!!

• 5 months later...

My favourite "normal" villains are probably Paalm and Bluefingers, just because of how smart they were. Odium, Sadeas and Taravangian didn't really impress me a lot in terms of villainous scheming, but Paalm and Bluefingers were pretty much unstoppable. Besides, Paalm was probably the most unpredictable villain so far. I never knew when Paalm was going to appear next. I also liked the Serial-killer-ish aspect to her, which was not what I expected from the novel at all.

Among the Shards, Ruin is easily my favourite, second only to Harmony. Ruin always was so strangely... friendly. At least that's how it seemed to me at first. Now, after a re-read, I was surprised how antagonistic he actually was, because I completely forgot about some of his mocking and evil laughing. I remembered him a lot nicer. But I still kind of see where I actually got that impression from. Like how he stopped to explain that he isn't just being malicious or spiteful, but that he just thinks of destruction as something legitimately good. Or how he always spends time talking to Vin. Normally, the "villainous monologuing" would be boring, but knowing that this god spent a few millenia imprisoned, unable to talk to anyone besides Rashek and Zane... it's ridiculous really, but I kind of got the impression that Ruin was maybe just a tiny little bit, well, lonely after all this time. In the scene where she ascends he doesn't even seem to bother that much. He actually even gives her an "introduction into godhood", in a way. I think, some time before he even told her something like "I thought that you of all people would underdtand me". And he's kind of right, it's difficult to understand or sympathise with someone who wants to destroy existence. It's not like I feel sorry for him, but it's still a surprisingly humane trait.

Favorite cosmere villain: Paalm(It's my name), she is awesome, unpredictable, but she just wants to save wax from harmony.

My second favorite cosmere villain is flashback Dalinar. He was definitely the villain in his flashbacks, but becomes so tortured by what he did, he is able to start over and become the hero we all need.

Non-cosmere- MCU Loki- he is awesome and the one of the best trickster gods(in writing this I realized Hoid is also a trickster god, they tie)

For me it's, Amaram, just the way he goes from being Kaladin's idol and picture of a "true lighteyes" to how it's shown he's an absolute trash human being. Then that change is shown even more as he continues to compromise what he was shown to stand for, eventually betraying even Dalinar and siding with Odium. 

The best shock villain for me in cosmere was Bluefingers, I didn't see his betrayal coming at all and when he reveals his true nature I was shocked. 

Honorable mention is the Set and specifically Edwarn Ladrian. The way they go about so sneaky, and almost while being gentlemanly yet evil and schemers is intriguing. I'm interested to see if the Set stays organized and shows up again in Era 3. That'd be cool, or if they figure out world-hopping and meet up with the Silverlight or the Ghostbloods

My favourite would have to be The Lord Ruler. At the start he has such a simple story: Ruler who has ruled for 1000 years and has made the world a wasteland, divided society and has lived for so long. Then it turns into such a complex story of Gods and Magic. If TLR wasn't necessarily evil then he would have made a great addition to Kelsier's crew!

• Chaos locked this topic