Copper vs Aluminum

Philomath

So it makes sense that aluminum lines hats in Era 2 stop emotional allomancy. But is anyone else bugged by the fact that it essentially does copper’s job?  I know copper does more than block emotional allomancy for allomancers using it and this obviously protects non allomancers. But I kind of wish it was copper lined hats instead. 

4 minutes ago, Philomath said:

So it makes sense that aluminum lines hats in Era 2 stop emotional allomancy. But is anyone else bugged by the fact that it essentially does copper’s job?  I know copper does more than block emotional allomancy for allomancers using it and this obviously protects non allomancers. But I kind of wish it was copper lined hats instead. 

Copper does not prevent the use of abilities. You could hide abilities being used by surrounding yourself with aluminum, but you aren't going to be able to affect anything outside that box. Copper hides the detection of the ability, but you can still use the abilities as you wish. So copper is still very useful. 

23 minutes ago, Philomath said:

I agree that copper is very useful. By blocking I meant stopping the effects of emotional allomancy others use on you. Are you implying that if Wax wore one of the aluminum hats that he wouldn’t be able to steelpush?

That might be where the confusion comes in. i was speaking regarding all of copper's uses, and all of aluminum's uses. So individually yes burning copper blocks soothing and rioting for the individual burning copper. And yes a person wearing a aluminum hat would also negate the soothing and rioting for the individual wearing the hat. However copper also blocks detection of powers being used. In order to accomplish that same goal with aluminum, Wax would need to be in an aluminum box. This would prevent him from pushing on metal that is outside the box. Copper on the other hand would hide Wax's use of steel, while still allowing Wax to manipulate metal within his range. 

Copper only blocks emotional Allomancy being used on the Smoker themself, and not anyone around them. So aluminum gives anyone the ability to block emotional Allomancy on the hat wearer. However, as @Pathfinder mentioned, that wouldn't hide the wearer if the wearer was using Allomancy and wanted to avoid being detected.

Basically, copper has its uses, aluminum has its uses. The two have some overlap, but each has its pros and cons.

Other than aluminum, which has its effects beyond just the Metallic Arts, no allomantic metal does anything special unless you're burning it. 

Copper lined hats would not only fail to negate the emotional allomancy, but you could push or pull them off someone's head.

Aluminum is more problematic in that it can be burned than it is in its use in hats. 

21 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Other than aluminum, which has its effects beyond just the Metallic Arts, no allomantic metal does anything special unless you're burning it. 

Copper lined hats would not only fail to negate the emotional allomancy, but you could push or pull them off someone's head.

Aluminum is more problematic in that it can be burned than it is in its use in hats. 

That makes the most sense. Thanks. 

• Chaos locked this topic