On Black Holes

Prudii Verd

This is just a random tangent, that randomly popped into my head while I was thinking of Investiture, and Star Wars.

So, in Star Wars, black holes are seen as a hole in the force, a place of pure death.

This makes me think, what would black holes appear as to highly Invested people, sentient Invested objects (i.e. Nightblood), or pieces of Investiture (i.e. a Spren)?

Would they be a hole in the Cosmere to them, void of Investiture?

This was just a random tangent I went off on in my mind.

I've been curious about this as well. Can Shards see inside of a black hole? Do they have knowledge of what happens in there? Can they change them in the same way that they do planets? For that matter, can they change stars? Taldain's system seems like it might have had some meddling done to it's stars, but it could also just be that Bavadin placed the planet where it needed to be in an already existing solar system.

Is there a WoB on whether the Cosmere has a supermassive black hole at it's center like Sgr A* in our galaxy?

7 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Is there a WoB on whether the Cosmere has a supermassive black hole at it's center like Sgr A* in our galaxy?

There's this:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is there a center to the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There isn't a center in the cosmere.

*inaudible*

I keep calling it a dwarf galaxy but I think they decided it's a cluster, instead of a dwarf galaxy.

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Even a dwarf galaxy is still really big.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yeah, still too big. So we had to call it a cluster. Because we only wanted like what, we came up with 50 or 100 stars? So it's a cluster. Or a really dwarf galaxy.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

So I guess the answer is no. (On a side-note, I once I had a theory that the Rosharan system is the center of the cosmere, like the Stormlight Archive is the center of the Cosmere Sequence, but that's done for since this WOB happened~)

Edited by Elegy

26 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I've been curious about this as well. Can Shards see inside of a black hole? Do they have knowledge of what happens in there? Can they change them in the same way that they do planets? For that matter, can they change stars? Taldain's system seems like it might have had some meddling done to it's stars, but it could also just be that Bavadin placed the planet where it needed to be in an already existing solar system.

I'm not sure why black holes would be any different from other stellar bodies to Shards.  The weirdness of black holes comes from their ridiculous gravitational forces (strong enough to trap light).  Shards don't seem to be bound by gravity.  They exist mostly in the Spiritual Realm, which almost certainly lacks gravity (since it lacks space/time).  

8 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I'm not sure why black holes would be any different from other stellar bodies to Shards.  The weirdness of black holes comes from their ridiculous gravitational forces (strong enough to trap light).  Shards don't seem to be bound by gravity.  They exist mostly in the Spiritual Realm, which almost certainly lacks gravity (since it lacks space/time).  

I simply meant that was hadn't seen them do anything larger than move a planet, so we don't know what they're capable of. Given the WoB that Elegy linked, we are unlikely to find out in world.

2 minutes ago, Elegy said:

I wonder what a black hole would look like in Shadesmar (assuming it's being observed).

That raises an interesting problem. Can a black hole actually be observed? You can know where one is, and you can measure it's effects on the space around it, but it can't actually be seen. I guess this would have the same effect in the Cognitive since it's still being conceptualized.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

Shards can probably shrug off the effects of truly ridiculous stellar phenomenon so...

faragorn

I recently saw on TV some info about some incredibly violent physical events in our universe, namely a collision between two black holes or a star quake on a Magnetar or Neutron Star. Is a shard holder sufficiently independent of the physical realm to be immune to even such mega-violent events, or would even one of them have a tough time shrugging it off?

Brandon Sanderson

Ruin and Preservation were, together, able to form a planet--so I'd say they could shrug that sort of thing off, depending on circumstances.

Stormlight Three Update #6 (Feb. 5, 2017)

The point is that they had the power to build a planet from scratch and make it turn out exactly how they wanted it to, right down to size, gravity and ecology mirroring what they'd known before on Yolen. That kind of power over the Physical Realm should translate pretty neatly to being able to deflect harm from ridiculously powerful Physical events, I think.

If by black hole we mean a gravitational singularity, then here's another question - aren't perpendicularities really just investiture singularities? A shard, Like H has enough investiture to form a singularity from even a fraction of its power and a conscious mind behind it like at the end of OB. 

so technically I would imagine a shard should have enough ability to not be impacted by black holes. Would a black holes gravity pull in investiture the way it would mass? Is there a pub nearby I can go to get smashed cuz this is hurting my head?

*Where's the restaurant at the end of the universe when you need it*

25 minutes ago, ND103 said:

Is there a pub nearby I can go to get smashed cuz this is hurting my head?

*Where's the restaurant at the end of the universe when you need it*

And more importantly, does Milliways have instant noodles on the menu? Hoid needs to know.

• Chaos locked this topic