FanX Spring - April 19-20, SLC, UT

Pagerunner

Details are sparse, even though this is less than two weeks away. Brandon's site says there's something on noon on Friday: https://brandonsanderson.com/upcoming-events/#17941. The FanX site says he'll be there Friday and Saturday: https://fanxsaltlake.com/guests/brandon-sanderson/.

Is anybody going to this event? Anyone able to record a signing line or a panel?

EDIT: Here's the schedule, from Brandon's site.

Friday, April 19th

Strange New Worlds: Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction
Time: 3:00-4:00 p.m.
With: Eric Flint, Jonathan Maberry, James Owen, Brandon Sanderson, Larry Correia, Erin Summerill, Dan Wells (moderator), Tyler Whitesides

World Building 101: Creating the History of Your World
Time: 5:00-5:30 p.m.
With: Brandon Sanderson, Michael Haspil, M. K. Hutchins, Brian McClellan

Signing
Time: 8:00-9:00 p.m.

Saturday, April 20th

Writers of the Future: Story Prompts, Short Fiction & Winning the Contest
Time: 3:00-4:00 p.m.
With: Eric Flint, Brandon Sanderson, Robert J. Defendi, David Farland, John Goodwin, Scott Parkin, Darci Stone, Eric James Stone

The Brandon & Brandon Show: Spotlight on Brandon Sanderson and Brandon Mull
Time: 6:00-7:00 p.m.
With: Brandon Sanderson, Brandon Mull, Dan Wells

Signing
Time: 8:00-9:00 p.m.

Edited by Pagerunner

I am planning on going. I would go on Friday, just to be safe. I have never been to a signing before, though, so if all of his books catch on fire, it is my fault. :)  

EDIT: Actually, I have a few questions (sorry if this bothers anyone):

If I have a question for Brandon, do I write it down in one of my books, or do I just ask him verbally?

Is there a limit to how many books you can bring to get signed (I know that he will only personalize some of them)?

Can you buy books at this signings, or can you only get books at release signings or special events?

Thanks!

Edited by Keeper Exile

On 4/8/2019 at 1:31 PM, Pagerunner said:

Details are sparse, even though this is less than two weeks away. Brandon's site says there's something on noon on Friday: https://brandonsanderson.com/upcoming-events/#17941. The FanX site says he'll be there Friday and Saturday: https://fanxsaltlake.com/guests/brandon-sanderson/.

Is anybody going to this event? Anyone able to record a signing line or a panel?

I will be there for both days and am willing to record what must be recorded. I've checked the schedule for his events and will be attending all of them. Let me know if there are any specifically that the Arcanists are looking forward to and I will make those a priority.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, Keeper Exile said:

I am planning on going. I would go on Friday, just to be safe. I have never been to a signing before, though, so if all of his books catch on fire, it is my fault. :)  

EDIT: Actually, I have a few questions (sorry if this bothers anyone):

If I have a question for Brandon, do I write it down in one of my books, or do I just ask him verbally?

Is there a limit to how many books you can bring to get signed (I know that he will only personalize some of them)?

Can you buy books at this signings, or can you only get books at release signings or special events?

Thanks!

It's never a bother to ask questions!

He is usually willing to answer a few questions while he is signing your books/items. I suggest having them prepared so that you don't blank like I did the first time! I wouldn't leave them in the books you want signed because your books will be prepared by the staff to make the signing itself move smoother.

He usually is willing to sign multiple books/items with a single pass, but for personalizations he usually asks that you only request one per approach. He is fine with people jumping back in line to do another. That way others will have opportunity to see him.

There are usually plenty of books available at his booth, whether he is there for the signing or not. If you are planning on waiting in line for the signing, I recommend purchasing your books first rather than trying to get them as you reach the booth.

I saw him a few weeks ago in Kansas and the processes were like this.

Hope that helps!

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, ShardGuard said:

I will be there for both days and am willing to record what must be recorded. I've checked the schedule for his events and will be attending all of them. Let me know if there are any specifically that the Arcanists are looking forward to and I will make those a priority.

Sweet. The signing lines are the most important ones to record, if you can throw down a phone or a recorder on the signing table. Be warned, they tend to run long; although I see they both start at 8:00 at night, so maybe they won't go too late?

Panels are nice to get, but since Brandon doesn't have a solo feature, I don't expect there'll be too much. Maybe a reading at the Brandon Sanderson/Brandon Mull panel on Saturday. But if you're there anyways, and you've got the battery and the memory, might as well.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, Keeper Exile said:

Limits are set by whoever is hosting the event, in this case the con. I think it will depend on how many people are in the line. If it's out the door, then you may have to get a few signed at a time and go to the back of the line. If you wait til the end, or if there's not a lot of people, you can basically get whatever you want. If you bring along all your books, I expect you'll be able to get Brandon's signature on all of them, one way or another.

Seems no one brought a recorder tonight, but I got fantastic WoBs, so I'll paraphrase them as well as I can. 

Me: According to General Relativity, there should be spatial distortion in speed bubbles. So, why does no one notice it?
Brandon, answering my actual question: There is spatial distortion in speed bubbles, that's why bullets are refracted when they enter a bubble. However, I played with it a bit, and ignore the redshift that should happen. The barrier of the bubble absorbs it, otherwise everyone would just be irradiated. 

Me: Have you heard of the Albecurrie drive?
Sanderson: Yes, I know about the Albecurrie drive.
Me: So, if we took 2 speed bubbles- mechanized, because allomancers aren't powerful enough to pull it off- could we create a functioning Albecurrie drive?
Sanderson: You are theorizing in the right direction. 

Me, fishing for a RAFO to get the new RAFO card: Are we going to go to the Horneater Peaks in SA4?
Sanderson: RAFO. 

In conclusion, Sanderson more or less just confirmed that Scadrial is likely to use the Albecurrie drive in Mistborn Era 4. Obviously, he's not going to hard, HARD confirm it at this point in time, so this is likely as good as it's going to get. But I'm feeling pretty good, especially as he knew offhand what an albecurrie drive was. That's a VERY good sign. 
Hey, @ShardGuard you wouldn't happen to be the budding writer I talked with for a while in front of the Dragonsteel stand, would you? I was the indecisive one. 

Edited by Steeldancer

I just uploaded my recordings to Arcanum, it has my personal questions from Friday, a question that Brandon was asked at the Brandon/Brandon panel with Mull, and Saturday's full line. Admittedly, there's not a whole lot there, but it was fun to hang out with other fans!

I would have done Fridays line if I'd realized no one else was doing it...I should check 17S more :(

I do not know if anyone had a recording device on Saturday, so I am going to paraphrase my WoB's here (if these questions were already answered, sorry. I just want to make sure that they aren't lost forever).

If Wayne and Lift met, would they get along? How would they interact?

They would definitely get along but eventually would constantly try to one-up each other (this is a heavily modified answer).

Would a coppercloud affect a spren?

Yes (I didn't push for what exactly would happen).

On 4/19/2019 at 11:27 PM, Steeldancer said:

Seems no one brought a recorder tonight, but I got fantastic WoBs, so I'll paraphrase them as well as I can. 

Me: According to General Relativity, there should be spatial distortion in speed bubbles. So, why does no one notice it?
Brandon, answering my actual question: There is spatial distortion in speed bubbles, that's why bullets are refracted when they enter a bubble. However, I played with it a bit, and ignore the redshift that should happen. The barrier of the bubble absorbs it, otherwise everyone would just be irradiated. 

Me: Have you heard of the Albecurrie drive?
Sanderson: Yes, I know about the Albecurrie drive.
Me: So, if we took 2 speed bubbles- mechanized, because allomancers aren't powerful enough to pull it off- could we create a functioning Albecurrie drive?
Sanderson: You are theorizing in the right direction. 

Me, fishing for a RAFO to get the new RAFO card: Are we going to go to the Horneater Peaks in SA4?
Sanderson: RAFO. 

In conclusion, Sanderson more or less just confirmed that Scadrial is likely to use the Albecurrie drive in Mistborn Era 4. Obviously, he's not going to hard, HARD confirm it at this point in time, so this is likely as good as it's going to get. But I'm feeling pretty good, especially as he knew offhand what an albecurrie drive was. That's a VERY good sign. 
Hey, @ShardGuard you wouldn't happen to be the budding writer I talked with for a while in front of the Dragonsteel stand, would you? I was the indecisive one. 

There were several indecisive ones I spoke to, but yes, that would be me!

I also recorded everything except the signing lines.