MacThorstenson

ATTENTION: We may be getting a new website  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a new website?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends on what features it has.
    • No opinion

Unlike my aprils fools post yesterday, this is not a prank.

There seems to be some amount of support behind getting a separate website for the Alleyverse RP. And we are trying to find out if this is a plausible thing to make happen.

Please vote above so that we can see if this is an idea that people would actually support, in addition post below to suggest any features or concepts that you would like to have introduced on the site.

Also post why you voted for what you did.

I also want to provide a warning that this still may not happen. Nothing is set in stone yet, but we are trying to see if this is something that is worth pursuing.

I voted "yes, dependent on features." I think that making a forum/site specifically dedicated to the RP would be handy and it would also make the expanded settings easier to grow without cluttering the main Alleyverse RP. I personally would enjoy having something like the "Gallery" here so that I have somewhere to post my mediocre RP art without feeling awkward that the whole Shard can see my niche doodling that only a small subset of people would care about. :P I'm sure I'll think of more things and edit this accordingly, but the Gallery is the one thing I'd really miss giving up on here. I haven't been so interested in drawing in years. 

I voted no, because I like to have everything in one place, my AV and my  not AV characters. Also, we are able to find new players because of the shard, I'm not sure how we will be able to aquire new people if it's a separate side. Right now I feel like we profit a lot from the activity on the shard.

But should this become a thing, I'm in of course.

Just realized this may have been giving some people who were checking the topic feed some wrong impressions that this may be referring to a new website for the Shard in general so have renamed the thread.

6 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

I voted "yes, dependent on features." I think that making a forum/site specifically dedicated to the RP would be handy and it would also make the expanded settings easier to grow without cluttering the main Alleyverse RP. I personally would enjoy having something like the "Gallery" here so that I have somewhere to post my mediocre RP art without feeling awkward that the whole Shard can see my niche doodling that only a small subset of people would care about. :P I'm sure I'll think of more things and edit this accordingly, but the Gallery is the one thing I'd really miss giving up on here. I haven't been so interested in drawing in years. 

What she said. I don’t post any of what I draw, because they’re all doodles and I don’t want all the people of the Shard to see them.

Depending on the features I'd say. I'm mainly concerned with the increased difficulty in getting new members, even if we're allowed to advertise it on the shard. On the other hand, having more space to grow would be nice as well.

Edit: Also, how difficult would it be to move over threads, as well as the pm conversations? Because if we can't there's a chance we'll end up doing part of the alleyverse on the Shard and part of it on the new website.

Edited by kenod

3 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

I voted yes, but when I think about it more "Depending what features it has" is better.

Because we do need to be able to replicate PMs.

I think threads are even more important, since that is where the public part of the story happens. But yes, both need to be copied over, and PMs are even worse since they can only be copied by people who can access them. And given that we probably don't want to spend months copying everything over by hand there will need to be some type of technological solution for it, like migrating the databases, which would probably require using the same forum architecture/template as the shard does.

I think the most important things to include if we get a new site are transferring of threads, PM capability, and some way to make sure word gets around that we exist. That's the bare minimum to make sure this isn't a downgrade. To make it actually worth spending time on, I think some of the more high priority features should be the ability to have a couple different subforum type things, a gallery, and a character database. I'm unsure what form this would take, but also some customization based off of the guild system.

2 hours ago, BringerofShadows said:

An Alleyverse website? Dude… I think double posting should be allowed in this new website.

Technically double posting is allowed on this site, it just requires particular circumstances.

6 hours ago, Kidpen said:

I think the most important things to include if we get a new site are transferring of threads, PM capability, and some way to make sure word gets around that we exist. That's the bare minimum to make sure this isn't a downgrade. To make it actually worth spending time on, I think some of the more high priority features should be the ability to have a couple different subforum type things, a gallery, and a character database. I'm unsure what form this would take, but also some customization based off of the guild system.

All agreed with Kidpen.

One quick thought for people's consideration, we could potentially do away with guild PMs by having different access roles for different groups, and each guild could have its own subforum which isn't visible to those outside of the guild.

I thought of something else, you could have special leadership structures in each guild, so that the leaders could see all of their guilds stuff, and post and make announcements. And the low level guys could only see certain stuff. 

Edited by MacThorstenson

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

One quick thought for people's consideration, we could potentially do away with guild PMs by having different access roles for different groups, and each guild could have its own subforum which isn't visible to those outside of the guild.

Oooh, I'm a big fan of this. PMs are still important for obvious reasons, but letting each guild (or maybe just Great Guilds?) have their own area would be great.

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

I thought of something else, you could have special leadership structures in each guild, so that the leaders could see all of their guilds stuff, and post and make announcements. And the low level guys could only see certain stuff. 

That would absolutely be amazing, honestly.

1 hour ago, Snipexe said:

I don’t really feel like I could maintain a presence on both sites, and I would rather stay on the shard then the Alleyverse (no offense intended in any way)

None taken, and thanks for your feedback.
Nothing is decided yet, that's why we want to collect feedback for a while first, I'm doing some initial investigation as well.

If it's particularly low maintenance I might even be able to set something up as a showcase, people can explore it for a bit and then if we don't like it we can just continue to use the Shard. I would like people to give it a try if we received wide spread community agreement for it, but I understand if people can't. I struggle for time already as well from time to time.

So yeah, no pressure for people if you're not in favour of this, we would only implement it if we thought the benefits outweigh the demerits so it's not something we'd get upset about if people disagree.