Avengers: Endgame

Wander89

34 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Yes, Far From Home was very profitable, but profit isn't everything. Sometimes you just have to tell the greedy other corporation to back off, especially when they're talking about pretty much the only thing keeping them afloat for movies anyway while the other group has very nearly cornered the market.

Rolls eyes.  Calling one cooperation more greedy then another is ridiculous based on any understanding of the capitalistic system of economic management.  I don't care which one anyone things is being unfair.  My only interest as a consumer is to receive superior content which I do not have faith sony can provide.

36 minutes ago, Invocation said:

They close that line of negotiations. They showed what they needed to, but negotiations are still happening, at least as far as I can find any news about (granted, though, most of what I can find that's concrete is dated to August 20th).

Maybe.  All we realy know at the moment is that this part of negotiations got closed down and this bothers me.

37 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Yes, I do, and while people give the Garfield movies a lot of crap (me included sometimes), they weren't as bad as all that. Would I describe it as a masterpiece of a Spiderman movie? No. Are all the ways it's lacking emphasized by the quality of the other two sets of Spiderman movies? Yes. 

They were still realy bad and I do not want to spend money watching them or anything that could potentially lead to them again.  Marvel simply has a better track record with spiderman movies so and since I like spiderman I want him in the studio who has demonstrated the capacity to make good movies about him.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Rolls eyes.  Calling one cooperation more greedy then another is ridiculous based on any understanding of the capitalistic system of economic management.  I don't care which one anyone things is being unfair.  My only interest as a consumer is to receive superior content which I do not have faith sony can provide.

So you would trade future quality for a little bit extra now, then? You would willingly advocate for the stifling of creativity and film quality as the last of what Disney doesn't own bows to their monopoly? You have no faith in Sony to deliver, and yes, I understand that, but the situation now is much different than it ever has been before. There is a two-movie precedent, and now that Sony has an incentive beyond keeping the rights to make the next movie good: proving everyone wrong. Proving to people that they can make a good Spiderman movie again.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Maybe.  All we realy know at the moment is that this part of negotiations got closed down and this bothers me.

Why would it possibly bother you? A portion of negotiations being closed means nothing if the larger negotiations are still ongoing.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

They were still realy bad and I do not want to spend money watching them or anything that could potentially lead to them again.  Marvel simply has a better track record with spiderman movies so and since I like spiderman I want him in the studio who has demonstrated the capacity to make good movies about him.

Marvel might have a better track record, but Marvel also hasn't attempted as many Spiderman movies as Sony has, though they did try one in 1977 that even Stan Lee didn't like. Plus, if we were to be going by terrible movies meaning someone else should have a chance, then Marvel would never have been allowed to make another Captain America movie after the 1990 fiasco (not going to talk about the 1944 one because I haven't actually watched that one fully), or another Hulk movie (then again, maybe they learned their lesson with that one). 

If you're so scared of anything that could potentially lead to something bad, why do you get out of bed? Why do you do anything? After all, it can all go bad. 

14 minutes ago, Invocation said:

So you would trade future quality for a little bit extra now, then?

sony is a profitable studio.  It is not like this is going to put them out of business. 

15 minutes ago, Invocation said:

ou would willingly advocate for the stifling of creativity and film quality as the last of what Disney doesn't own bows to their monopoly?

If Disney is the only place that has good content then they deserve to have a monopoly.  Also Spiderman originally belonged to marvel.  Sony had their chance with him and failed.  Marvel succeeded.  So Marvel can do a better job so Marvel should have the character.  I am not going to support the creation of inferior material just to make Disney work a little bit harder to control the entire market.

19 minutes ago, Invocation said:

and now that Sony has an incentive beyond keeping the rights to make the next movie

Do they?  I would not be surprised if part of the reason they are doing this is just to try and slow down the MCU a little.

20 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Marvel might have a better track record, but Marvel also hasn't attempted as many Spiderman movies as Sony has, though they did try one in 1977 that even Stan Lee didn't like

They have made five movies with spiderman in it all of which used him correctly and in which he added to the story in a positive way.  sony has made about the same number if I remember correctly.  Superhero movies in the 70s suck across the board. 

22 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Plus, if we were to be going by terrible movies meaning someone else should have a chance, then Marvel would never have been allowed to make another Captain America movie after the 1990 fiasco

Superhero movies also sucked in the late 90s.

23 minutes ago, Invocation said:

or another Hulk movie (then again, maybe they learned their lesson with that one). 

Marvel should not have made another Hulk movie and they did not.

23 minutes ago, Invocation said:

If you're so scared of anything that could potentially lead to something bad, why do you get out of bed? Why do you do anything? After all, it can all go bad. 

I am not just mad that something bad could happen.  I am annoyed that something ongoing that was good will now be ruined.

8 hours ago, Karger said:

If Disney is the only place that has good content then they deserve to have a monopoly.

Oh you're one of those people. Okay I'm gonna stop myself from going entirely off the rails in a not-exactly-Shard-appropriate fashion here and set this conversation aside permanently, before I say something that I may get banned for. It's taken me this long to even approach a reasonable response.

Neither of us were ever gonna really convince the other anyway.

8 hours ago, Invocation said:

Oh you're one of those people. Okay I'm gonna stop myself from going entirely off the rails in a not-exactly-Shard-appropriate fashion here and set this conversation aside permanently, before I say something that I may get banned for. It's taken me this long to even approach a reasonable response.

Neither of us were ever gonna really convince the other anyway.

What?  If no one else can make a good movie then does not the one place that can deliver deserve to get payed for making movies?

On 9/3/2019 at 6:27 AM, Karger said:

What?  If no one else can make a good movie then does not the one place that can deliver deserve to get payed for making movies?

If Sanderson writes amazing books, but not many authors are able to write on as high a caliber as he is, don’t those authors deserve to get paid(this is how you spell it, FYI) for their work? Of course they do. I don’t see the point keeping Sony from having another shot. Who’s to say they don’t end up making their own sort of MCU(a Spider-verse, you might say)?

Edited by Jaywalk
Forgot a question mark. Wow, if only more people would check their grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, Jaywalk said:

If Sanderson writes amazing books, but not many authors are able to write on as high a caliber as he is, don’t those authors deserve to get paid(this is how you spell it, FYI) for their work? Of course they do. I don’t see the point keeping Sony from having another shot. Who’s to say they don’t end up making their own sort of MCU(a Spider-verse, you might say)?

That is not what I said.  If absolutely no other author could make a book that anyone wanted to read then no other author should make books.  If, like in the real world, multiple authors can make multiple books of differing but still good levels of qualities then of course they should all keep working.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/4/2022 at 6:26 AM, cassiegoh said:

Started on a marvel movie marathon last month and finally got to Avengers: Endgame. It still gave me goosebumps even after watching it so many times.

Every storming time I watch I start screaming at the characters, like somehow this time it's going to end differently, and the people who die won't die.