Avengers: Endgame

Wander89

I do like them both, don't get me wrong.

I mean, it's been a while since I've seen Infinity war, and I saw Endgame like two weeks ago. So, maybe some bias there.

It's also this; I can think of ways they could have improved Infinity War. I can't think of anything they could have done to Endgame. I mean, Infinity War, I think, had to do a lot more plotwise to the MCU, and all Endgame had to do was wrap it up. The thing is, Endgame did it's job a lot better than Infinity War did it's job, in my mind.

Also, that final battle in Endgame was the best final battle I've ever witnessed on a movie screen. Ever. I think that's the main reason. :)

Edited by Gancho Libre

5 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

It's also this; I can think of ways they could have improved Infinity War. I can't think of anything they could have done to Endgame.

Strong disagree there. I'm the exact reverse.

5 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

Also, that final battle in Endgame was the best final battle I've ever witnessed on a movie screen. Ever. I think that's the main reason. :)

I can agree with that.

Comparing Endgame to Infinity War is tricky. They are both great movies for different reasons. My personal feeling is that IW felt a little more disjointed. But that is to be expected given the large spread out cast. Endgame told a more cohesive story in my opinion but that is easier to do when most of said cast got dusted in IW. There is only one thing I have decided I want changed about Endgame. 

Spoiler

I just want one small scene with Natasha and Clint in the soul stone like we got with Thanos and Gamora. Maybe a reversal on that where Clint asks Natasha if it was worth it instead of the other way around. And she just smiles because for her it absolutely was.

Saw it today I liked both but enjoyed Infinity War more. I thought the humor was better and it was faster paced. I felt like the first third of Endgame was people just moping around. Still the final battle scene was amazing and I loved fat Thor.

1 hour ago, Gancho Libre said:

Oh yes. Best Foreshadowing in the MCU yet.

AND IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly agree. Also can we talk about how Fat Thor was not only super funny, but the best logical step to take Thor's character?

5 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly agree. Also can we talk about how Fat Thor was not only super funny, but the best logical step to take Thor's character?

Very true. Realistically the ego of Thor was crushed as a result of the loss his descent into gluttony and his loss of care.

12 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:
Spoiler

Also can we talk about how Fat Thor was not only super funny, but the best logical step to take Thor's character?

Spoiler

Yeah, fatshaming. Real funny. I can't breathe from laughing. Being overweight is soooooooooooo hilarious, let's laugh at people suffering from severe PTSD and depression and resulting body changes.

TBH how Thor was handled was one of the main things that pissed me off. It's okay that it happened, but using it as comic relief? Storms, no. Just ... no!

On 5/10/2019 at 5:42 PM, Gancho Libre said:

I mean, it's been a while since I've seen Infinity war, and I saw Endgame like two weeks ago. So, maybe some bias there.

Other way in my mind.  I think the main thing I did not like was how Thanos is treated in Endgame.  In the first movie I feel for and genuinely respect him and his ideals even if I also know that he is nuts.  Endgame just does not do the same. 

As I watched the movie a second time, I realized something about most of Thor's scenes. While they usually begin and end very funny, the middle is actually not that funny and takes Thor really seriously. Take his first scene for example. When we see him we're shocked (as are Bruce and Rocket), but as soon as Thanos is mentioned, Thor nearly breaks and the scene treats Thor's PTSD with extreme respect and care. Banner reaches out to Thor and tries to appeal to the man he once knew. It doesn't work because Thor is too far in despair; the scene then ends with Rocket appealing to Thor's addiction in a humorous manner. 

When Thor's explaining the Reality Stone, the scene starts with him asleep, but as he goes to explain what it is and all he's lost, it becomes more serious. The comedic undertone is simply because of the public setting, but paying attention to the music and the attitude. When Thor is having a panic attack, Rocket, like Banner, is trying to bring out the best he knows Thor can be. Insensitive to the point of crude humor, absolutely, so hate this moment if you will. But it was done to remind Thor that while he can't regain his loses, he can fix his mistake. 

As for fat-shaming, only two instances of it come up that I can remember. First being Rocket, who last saw Thor as the pinnacle of fitness, and this is his first reaction. Second would be Freya, who slyly advises her son to eat a salad. I'm not NEARLY as large as Thor, but I'm not in the same shape as I was in high school. My parents do the same. They want to see the best they know their child can be, and in the best shape. So this doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does others. Tony's Lebowski comment could act as a third, but he's snarky and calls EVERYONE names, so that's more on Tony's character than Thor.

And in the end, the magic lightning armor thing didn't make Thor fit again, as I and others assumed. This is who Thor is at the moment, and he's going to own it. 

Lastly, about Thor and being a king, THOR NEVER WANTED TO BE A KING. His first two movies were ALL about this. Thor wasn't worthy of it and would have been a TERRIBLE king, which is what his first journey to earth was all about. In Thor 2, he actually gives up the throne in order to be a good man. "I would rather be a good man than a great king." It's not until Ragnarok that the mantle of king is forced upon him, and even then he's more of a protector than a leader. Thor's journey has always been about letting go of who he was supposed to be to find out who he is. Endgame didn't state it perfectly, but it's completely in-line with previous movies.

9 hours ago, Karger said:

Other way in my mind.  I think the main thing I did not like was how Thanos is treated in Endgame.  In the first movie I feel for and genuinely respect him and his ideals even if I also know that he is nuts.  Endgame just does not do the same. 

Hello Future Me on YouTube has a great video about Endgame with some guests who bring up this point. In their mind, Thanos was still consistent. First and foremost, Thanos is a narcissist and a megalomaniac. In Infinity War Thanos had a mission and an idea of how the world would be after his mission was completely. He died thinking that way. 2014 Thanos was fine with the death so long as he accomplished his mission and he thought the world was GRATEFUL. But as soon as he learned that no, the world really wasn't that grateful he decides that he'll make one that IS. It's a god-complex. He wants to be the savior and be worshipped for it. The thing is that Infinity War's Thanos had time to be reflective and share his views because by the time most of the Avengers fought him, he either had too many stones to see them as a threat (was more or less a god), knew where the stones were so it was a matter of time, or he respected the enemies he was fighting (Stark, Strange, Scarlet). 

2014 Thanos was still the same Thanos. Kill half a planet, never lie, send your "children" to do most of the dirty work, but don't be afraid to do some either. But it's not like Thanos always stopped at killing "half" a species. If he did the Asgardians and other planets he already massacred should have been safe from The Decimation. If he did, he wouldn't have killed all of the giants except Eitri. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while Infinity War showed Thanos at his "best" while Endgame showed us how Thanos reacts to pressure and fear, and it's not pretty. 

Or another way of looking at it. Thanos saw his life work about to be undone by people he knew and already thought were annoying. No wonder he was so peeved! 

56 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Hello Future Me on YouTube has a great video about Endgame with some guests who bring up this point. In their mind, Thanos was still consistent. First and foremost, Thanos is a narcissist and a megalomaniac. In Infinity War Thanos had a mission and an idea of how the world would be after his mission was completely. He died thinking that way. 2014 Thanos was fine with the death so long as he accomplished his mission and he thought the world was GRATEFUL. But as soon as he learned that no, the world really wasn't that grateful he decides that he'll make one that IS. It's a god-complex. He wants to be the savior and be worshipped for it. The thing is that Infinity War's Thanos had time to be reflective and share his views because by the time most of the Avengers fought him, he either had too many stones to see them as a threat (was more or less a god), knew where the stones were so it was a matter of time, or he respected the enemies he was fighting (Stark, Strange, Scarlet). 

2014 Thanos was still the same Thanos. Kill half a planet, never lie, send your "children" to do most of the dirty work, but don't be afraid to do some either. But it's not like Thanos always stopped at killing "half" a species. If he did the Asgardians and other planets he already massacred should have been safe from The Decimation. If he did, he wouldn't have killed all of the giants except Eitri. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while Infinity War showed Thanos at his "best" while Endgame showed us how Thanos reacts to pressure and fear, and it's not pretty. 

Or another way of looking at it. Thanos saw his life work about to be undone by people he knew and already thought were annoying. No wonder he was so peeved! 

I don't think it is not consistent I just like it less.  This is the less sympathetic side of a character that I like.  Infinity war Thanos is by his own standards kind, generous, and sympathetic.  He did not get the soul stone because he was evil or because he possess great physical strength and intelligence he got it because he genuinely cared about another person.  That is the part of Thanos that I love.  I know that he also has a god complex but that was always in the background instead Infinity War was about humanizing him and Endgame was not.

35 minutes ago, Karger said:

I don't think it is not consistent I just like it less.  This is the less sympathetic side of a character that I like.  Infinity war Thanos is by his own standards kind, generous, and sympathetic.  He did not get the soul stone because he was evil or because he possess great physical strength and intelligence he got it because he genuinely cared about another person.  That is the part of Thanos that I love.  I know that he also has a god complex but that was always in the background instead Infinity War was about humanizing him and Endgame was not.

But we know he's not those things. I THINKS he's those things but everything we've seen points to the exact opposite (his whole relationship with Nebula in Infinity War for example, calling her a "waste of parts," killing all the dwarves and claiming Eitri's hands as his, and seeing Scarlet Witch kill the love of her life. With 5/6 stones it probably would have been incredibly easy remove the Mind Stone from Vision without killing him (Reality, Power, and Soul to make sure Vision stays, and then Space to remove it safely), but he didn't really care about that). Nearly everyone "by their own standards" is kind, generous, and sympathetic. His god complex was always in the background because we never see anything threaten it or his goals up until that point. 

I don't want to seem as though you can't like Thanos. I definitely appreciate him as a villain, possibly into "like" territory for that role. Heck I'd go so far and say he's this generation's Darth Vader, bad father and all. I understand his motives up to a certain point. I just don't want to praise him for something I truly don't think he is. 

54 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

kind, generous, and sympathetic

But he is actually.  He is not killing large segments of the population because he expects any reward he is trying to save the universe.  He genuinely cares for and respects life and he hates Nebula because she keeps letting him down.  He also has compassion for Wanda at seeing her grief and as to killing Vision.  Vision was dead.  Not bringing him back to life is Thanos's version of humility.