Avengers: Endgame

Wander89

Managed to finally get tickets for Endgame although they are selling out fast which is particularly frightening for a cinema ticket. Anyone else plan on seeing this??

Synopsis:

Adrift in space with no food or water, Tony Stark sends a message to Pepper Potts as his oxygen supply starts to dwindle. Meanwhile, the remaining Avengers -- Thor, Black Widow, Captain America and Bruce Banner -- must figure out a way to bring back their vanquished allies for an epic showdown with Thanos -- the evil demigod who decimated the planet and the universe.

Avengers-Endgame-MCU-Rewatch.jpg

12 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Of course I'm seeing this! What airsick lowlander wouldn't see this?! This movie has been building up for ten years, I would never miss it!!

I managed to get my midnight double bill tickets at the last second but they are mostly sold out now which is, although pretty cool, a bummer for some!

30 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

I managed to get my midnight double bill tickets at the last second but they are mostly sold out now which is, although pretty cool, a bummer for some!

Yeah, I'm hoping my friend grabbed some tickets for opening Saturday like he said he would, otherwise I'm going to have to accept having the film spoiled for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a midnight screening and I was blown away. The amount of cameos and callbacks have been placed nicely. The level of detail and emotion is a real heartbreaker throughout the full 3+ hours. It's been an absolute rollercoaster just witnessing these events come together and end in such a satisfying way that honours the past and pushes to the future. I have NO idea how any franchise will top this or even how they will top themselves.

Albeit I'm pretty biased but this was the best ending I could have seen.

I just saw Endgame and IT WAS AMAZING AND AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

My absolute favorite part was when

Spoiler

Cap picked up Thor’s hammer. Ever since he shifted the hammer in Avengers, I had a feeling he would be able to use it.

3 hours ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

OMG I LOVED IT

I'M GOING TO WATCH AGAIN TODAY

AND AGAIN AS SOON AS I CAN AFTER TODAY

I WON'T BE SATISFIED UNTIL WATCH THIS MOVIE A HUNDRED TIMES

I feel ya on that one. I saw it with my younger brother and @Box Turtle, and Light of the Heavens it was the most intense, emotionally satisfying conclusion that I could have wished for.

Spoiler

Time travel, is of course, time travel, and therefore does not make sense- but who cares! Because it lends such an emotional gravitas to the film, like a constant reminder that this is the result of over ten years of build-up.

1 minute ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I feel ya on that one. I saw it with my younger brother and @Box Turtle, and Light of the Heavens it was the most intense, emotionally satisfying conclusion that I could have wished for.

Reveal hidden contents

Time travel, is of course, time travel, and therefore does not make sense- but who cares! Because it lends such an emotional gravitas to the film, like a constant reminder that this is the result of over ten years of build-up.

Spoiler

THE NOT ELEVATOR FIGHT SCENE WAS AMAZING

Edited by Lunamor

10 minutes ago, Lunamor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

THE NOT ELEVATOR FIGHT SCENE WAS AMAZING

Spoiler

This is in fact, true. I'm mostly talking about major things, like Killing Past Thanos, and Steve living out his life with Peggy, that are giving me a headache

8 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:
  Hide contents

This is in fact, true. I'm mostly talking about major things, like Killing Past Thanos, and Steve living out his life with Peggy, that are giving me a headache

Spoiler

Right now I’m just trying to figure out which version of time travel they’re using. I thought it was the Prisoner of Azkaban kind, but then they killed past Thanos so I’m not sure.

But which one is better? Infinity War or Endgame?

Spoiler

In my opinion, I think they're both the best for different reasons. Infinity War was definitely a more exciting movie; from the get-go, it was action packed in a way that we had never seen before in a Marvel movie. We had this intense juggle of characters, all with important missions crucial to the survival of the universe. It kept you on the edge of your seat, and I liked that a lot. In addition to that, seeing all of the Marvel characters in the same movie was truly exhilarating, and to see all of the awesome parts such as Cap and the gang saving Scarlet Witch and Vision, Thor absolutely destroying Thanos' army, and, of course, Thanos snapping his fingers! That was a wildly unexpected turn, and seeing all of the characters turn to dust was heartbreaking. Infinity war was a incredibly well done movie, and I was nervous to see if Endgame could top it...

I shouldn't have been so worried

Endgame started out dramatically, and we saw Hawkeye's family turn to dust. This set up the more serious tone for this movie, kinda giving an idea of what the rest of the movie would be like. After that, I was stunned to see how quickly the gang went after Thanos, and how quickly he died. I had to keep telling myself not to worry, that Marvel knew what it was doing, and just to wait. And ohhhhh boy. I was in for a surprise. The movie (necessarily) started out slow, giving a foundation for the rest of the movie. The time travel was awesome, and it was AMAZING to see the Marvel's history played out in a matter of about an hour or so, and I loved every bit of it. And then, Hulk snapped his fingers with all of the infinity gauntlets! And then, Thanos came and destroyed the base AND THEN, it was Captain America, Iron man, and Thor all up against Thanos, AND THEN CAPTAIN AMERICA PICKED UP MJOLNIR AND I WAS GOING CRAZY BECAUSE IT WAS FREAKIN CAPAND THEN EVERY BODY CAME BACK IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING AND EPIC THING THAT I HAD EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE AND THEN THANOS DESTROYED THE TIME MACHINE AND I WAS LIKE NOOOO WHATS GONNA HAPPEN NOW BECAUSE HE HAD THE GAUNTLET AND THEN. IRON MAN. SNAPPED. HIS. FINGERS. AS HE SAID. "I. AM. IRON MAN."And I just about flipped out this point. I'll keep the text small as I finish writing this, as not to take away from the epicness of the climax. Endgame was awesome. SO incredibly epic. I could not have asked for more. And then Cap got his dance with Peggy. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that movie was so freakin good.

Spoiler

- Time travel. I knew it was coming, quantum realm shenanigans and all that, but still. It worked a lot better than I thought. Past Thanos was a bit much, even if it set up the most epic fight scene I've ever had the pleasure to witness.

- The final battle: This was the perfect conclusion to the movie and this era of the MCU. You want massive battles with too many heroes to keep track of? Well here you go. I'll be comparing this fight to every other large scale fight scene in every other movie I watch. The Wakanda battle was good, but this, this was epic.

This movie couldn’t have been done any better in my opinion. It was the perfect culmination to everything the MCU has been building up to. I can’t wait to see what comes next. 

Spoiler

I agree that the time travel aspect worked well. At least for me. 

Some of my other favorite parts are definitely Cap wielding Mjolnir, Scarlet Witch being a total BA, and indeed the sheer epicness of that last battle. Dr Strange bringing everyone there behind Cap was just fantastic! And I basically second everything @Truthless of Shinovar said about Endgame. I LOVED this movie.

Spoiler

I think it was brilliant for what it had to accomplish, they did a terrific job of wrapping up something of that scale. But at the same time, as a standalone movie I felt it fell a bit flat. Time travel was really a sore point for me, because they even openly state at the beginning that you can't change the past, but then clearly frequently change the past, then there was talk about timelines splitting which would have made everything make sense but then ammend that the timeline would only split if the Infinity stones are separated which they weren't. They also state that the Infinity Gauntlet can't reverse death in spite of the fact that we've seen even just the time stone by itself clearly doing just that. The whole heist thing also felt really out of place for me, just didn't really feel right at all.

So while I loved a lot of moments in the movie and overall given the monumental task of wrapping up the whole MCU and pulling it back together again I think they did a terrific job, but I was a little disappointed in the movie itself.

I might also be a little prejudiced because of the abundance of Ant Man in this one, and every time he appears on screen I get reflexive rage.

Spoiler

I personally am not a fan of time-travel because my brain immediately shuts off when I try to understand the mechanics etc. so I decided early on to just ... not care about it. Does it make sense? Is it a trainwreck? I don't give two chips.
In the MCU, I almost exclusively care about the characters and aside from some missteps (Thor deserved better, Clint murdered hundreds of people and never seems to be held accountable, Tasha deserved SO MUCH BETTER, WHERE WAS OKOYE, Carol got zero character development) it was almost exactly what I wanted. I loved the movie in this regard, action scenes were cool, music was great, I laughed, I cried, I'm satisfied.

Spoiler

I absolutely loved it. Definitely the best movie experience I've ever had. My theater applauded three times. It was incredible. For me, the time-travel aspect was fine and I really liked how they did it. Time-travel was going to be the only answer to undoing the snap anyway so my one question was how they would pull it off. I understood it that they couldn't change their own pasts but could manipulate other timelines...so they weren't really time-traveling, more like reality-hopping I guess? The stones needed to be returned to these timelines or that reality would suffer. (And now I guess there's a version of 2014 where Thanos just disappeared from existence and a version of 2012 where Loki escaped) At least that's how I found it to make sense. I'm a sucker for time-travel anyway so it's very easy (possibly too easy) for me to suspend my disbelief when it comes to that kind of stuff.

The characters were handled very well and, in Thor's case, pretty realistically. I can see why their arcs ended where they did, even though I'm still not happy about Tony...man that was hard to watch.

I saw it opening night and haven't seen it since unfortunately. Endgame was a buffet of a movie in all the best ways. It's not the best superhero movie or even the best MCU movie IMO, but it doesn't need to be. Endgame is the best finale a love-letter to everything that came before it, and in that sense it is a perfect movie. Could things have been done better? Of course. I don't personally like all the choices they made, but those are pretty minor quibbles. Overall this movie was the capstone the MCU deserved and needed. 

I worry a bit about the future of the MCU because we've been working towards this finale for 7 years more or less. It's a weird mix of excitement and fear, not really knowing where the road leads (in terms of the next big myth arc; we know about individual movies yet where that leads us is unknown at the moment). But In Feige We Trust. 

Edited by Use the Falchion