This was a joke, but now may not be.

MacThorstenson

2 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

Ok, I need to brag a little bit. Building a forum is actually not that hard to do, I built one using SMF in about a day. And it only costs 1 dollar a month with the hosting factored in, if@Ark1002 or anyone else is interested I'd be more than happy to consult :D 

Enlighten me, O Wise One

Infinity free hosting, it's completely free and pretty good for being free,just by the domain off Google then reconfigure your nameservers to those of infinity free, then use the softlishus app installer, found in the control panel to install, SMF. The default theme is crap so you will want to upload a new theme there are some pretty nice ones. Then BAM you're done. 

4 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

Ok, I need to brag a little bit. Building a forum is actually not that hard to do, I built one using SMF in about a day. And it only costs 1 dollar a month with the hosting factored in, if@Ark1002 or anyone else is interested I'd be more than happy to consult :D 

If there was a genuine interest in us having our own site I'd be happy to do so, I know of many affordable options for forums and this site takes up enough of my time that I'm happy to drop a few dollars into it :P

Was this actually something that got people excited? There would be a lot of implications if we had our own forum.

19 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Was this actually something that got people excited? There would be a lot of implications if we had our own forum.

I think it would be really cool if something like this happened, but I would want to make sure that we are doing it in a way that makes sense, and isn't just a waste of money.

Like if we wanted to make ourselves a forum, that ended up literally being the same thing as this but under a different domain name, then I would not support it.

I would totally support an individual website for this, but I agree with Mac that it would need to be differentiated enough to not simply be paying to reinvent the wheel. I would not mind chipping in some money for it though, goodness knows I buy far stupider stuff regularly.

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

I think it would be really cool if something like this happened, but I would want to make sure that we are doing it in a way that makes sense, and isn't just a waste of money.

Like if we wanted to make ourselves a forum, that ended up literally being the same thing as this but under a different domain name, then I would not support it.

Having a forum opposed to a subforum gives us a lot of options. The expantion of the alternate settings is the one I'm most intrested in. 

Another one I think would be cool is the addition of a user's guild to their profile. 

And we can have our own inro thread. COOKIES ALL DAY LOOONG!!!

12 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

It was sort of like an, 'oh yeah, wouldn't that be cool' sort of thing.

It would be awesome to have, but we'd have to link it back here to get any new players.

EDIT:  I wouldn't mind donating a few bucks to the Alleyverse Forum Fund.

Personally I think funding it solo is more ideal, if we do donations then there's a bunch of legal stuff I'd have to look into, but I do appreciate the offer. If pricing is going to be prohibitive enough that it would need people to donate then I'll look into it.

Yeah one of the main implications would be that we'd have no obvious source of new players unless we linked to the RP on the Shard itself, which I'd need to discuss with the admins because it is technically advertising. I'd probably want to talk to the admins regardless actually, not sure if there's any implications for the Shard itself that I'm not thinking of.

36 minutes ago, Voidus said:

If there was a genuine interest in us having our own site I'd be happy to do so, I know of many affordable options for forums and this site takes up enough of my time that I'm happy to drop a few dollars into it :P

I'd be really interested. I think it would be awesome, and very helpful.

We could just ask Chaos to add a link in the RP section, like the inquisition does

Alright well there seems to be sufficient interest in this that I'll start doing some research into options. I'll need to have a few conversations to see how viable some of this stuff is and see what's available. I'm a fan of customization which does rule out a lot of template-forum type options. But I'll see what's possible and keep everyone updated.

Weird way for this thread to turn out. :P

45 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Personally I think funding it solo is more ideal, if we do donations then there's a bunch of legal stuff I'd have to look into, but I do appreciate the offer. If pricing is going to be prohibitive enough that it would need people to donate then I'll look into it.

Give us a random address in Australia that you know how to get to and I'll mail you cookies. Can't promise they won't get stale, but cookies.

I'd be...vaguely interested in this. It depends on a lot of things. I agree in that it would have to be very different from here. I'd be happy to assist if we do make it, though.

Might I also make a suggestion? We could put a poll on this thread to see who's actually interested. Mac could also edit the OP to explain how this was originally a joke but is now serious so people don't give it a glance and leave.

3 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Might I also make a suggestion? We could put a poll on this thread to see who's actually interested. Mac could also edit the OP to explain how this was originally a joke but is now serious so people don't give it a glance and leave.

Voidus is going to look into the plausibility of this to see if it could actually work, any issues that it may have with the 17th shard site owners, if we can get a link like MBI, all sorts of things.

In the meantime Im probably gonna make a new thread asking for general feedback on the idea.

• Voidus unpinned this topic

So I bought alleyverse.com for kicks and giggles, it's still very rough but its now a forum, if something that ugly can be called a forum (I'll hopefully fix that tonight). If anyone wants admin rights to tinker around with it and see how stuff works tell me and I'll give em to ya.

5 minutes ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

So I bought alleyverse.com for kicks and giggles, it's still very rough but its now a forum, if something that ugly can be called a forum (I'll hopefully fix that tonight). If anyone wants admin rights to tinker around with it and see how stuff works tell me and I'll give em to ya.

Wait, did you actually?

You did.

Edited by AonEne

2 minutes ago, Voidus said:

I'm not gonna have time to look at anything in depth until tonight at least, maybe tomorrow night.

So I've been looking around at it a little bit, but from what I can see from the base version right now is not all that different than the shard. You can send messages and post things. 

Once I get admis access I can dig around a little more, maybe change the adonalsium awful look to something a bit better, and explore the customizability. 

It looks like they have a large modding section where people have uploaded mods, so I can take a look at those. But as of right now I am still withholding judgement.