Hello everyone. 
I'm a concept artist inspired by the Stormlight Archives. Since I love creature design, I decided to work on a Chasm Fiend for a portfolio project. 

Currently I have the 3D model finalized and ready to be textured (given color) but I wanted some feedback on a potential color scheme. 

So far I've been looking at marine life for inspiration, since I want my Chasm Fiend to be more than a dull grey or stony color. This may be less accurate, but I think it will help mine stand out a bit. Please look at the images below and let me know what you think! 

Thanks!

-Critterweaver

P.S. I've also included some graphics showing my progress, as well as a first pass on a textured game-ready 3D model. Feel free to comment on that as well. 

cOLORPASSES_brighter.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

This looks so good, and the fact that it could be used in games/animations is really cool aswell, since you’re model could come to life if the right person sees it.

i don’t think it should have a bright colour scheme as in words of radiance it was supposed to be really hard to see in the dark. 

Also it looks a bit glossy on the picture, but I’d always imagined them with tougher shells.

thanks for posting :)

edit - you’re first picture of it is the glossy one, but the second one looks almost perfect

Edited by Fullborn

On 3/30/2019 at 9:41 AM, Fullborn said:

This looks so good, and the fact that it could be used in games/animations is really cool aswell, since you’re model could come to life if the right person sees it.

i don’t think it should have a bright colour scheme as in words of radiance it was supposed to be really hard to see in the dark. 

Also it looks a bit glossy on the picture, but I’d always imagined them with tougher shells.

thanks for posting :)

edit - you’re first picture of it is the glossy one, but the second one looks almost perfect

The colors as depicted would act as camouflage, allowing the chasm fiend to blend into its surroundings.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'm going to go with one of the red/green variants. @Kingsdaughter613 is right, in the ocean as you get further and further down reds and darker greens change to more neutral values, making them harder to see. That's why a lot of deep sea life is colored bright red. Here's a great video demonstrating the effect (Youtube Link). I do like the bluer colors, but I might save those for the (book 2 spoiler)

Spoiler

oceanic greatshells which don't need camouflage due to their size. They might even prefer the brighter colors since it would be easier for them to find opponents to battle. 

Now the chasms aren't underwater most of the time, but a similar coloration would be helpful in the darkness. Also @Fullborn you totally picked up on the glossiness problem. At the time I was tinkering with the shader and didn't have the glossiness how I liked it, so I ended up changing it to the more muted texture of the other renders. That's something I'm going to have right when I do my final renders with the updated texture. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll post soon with an updated beast. :- )

-Critterweaver

• 2 weeks later...