It seems Brandon is coming to Germany

Nivallo

I have not seen any mentions of this here or anywhere else Brandon-related, but i saw it in the bookshop and thought I'd share it online:

A bookshop in Bonn, Germany has an upcoming Event with Brandon Sanderson on May 15th.
I can't send you a link to the page since my account is new, but if you google "Brandon Sanderson Thalia Bonn" you can find the Event online.

I'll be there and hope to see many german fans!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the news today on Brandon's FB page and I am SO EXCITED because I am only an hour train ride away from Stuttgart.
It's the same bookshop where I got to see Peter V. Brett last year. Seems like a good one for fantasy :D
(I work in a bookshop myself but unfortunately, there are very few fantasy authors coming. Except Pat Rothfuss a few years back.)

You can meet me here: https://www.thalia.de/shop/home/veranstaltungen/showDetail/21220/ :D

He's coming to Bonn, half an hour away from me! Just saw it on Brandon's website and entered it into my calendar. The tickets will mean I have to make a little shopping tour this weekend. I hope tickets aren't sold out yet.

Then it's time to think about some questions. Would be a waste to go unprepared.

Update: My ticket for Bonn is ordered, waiting for a reply from the bookstore whether I've got to pick it up as soon as possible or whether right before the event suffices.

Edited by Pattern
Update

Stuttgart. Around two hours away from me. That could work.

I need to call them and ask regarding the tickets.

===============

Edit: In case anybody is interested in going to Stuttgart.

There are no tickets for that event, you simply drop by. If you want to get a place where you can sit down, they recommend to come by around 4pm. They will let anybody into the store though, the guy on the phone was pretty relaxed.

After another call with @Rhapsody we decided to go there.

@Winds Alight

Edited by Sorana

Eeeeee! Yes! I literally live in Stuttgart! Only 22 minutes away! Wow....um....yay!!!!

Hey, @Taradiddle you see this?

Questions:

1.  What do I do to not make a fool of myself?

2.  Will he be doing signings/questions?

3. I’ve heard you have to buy a book there for him to sign it, is that true?

4. Does anyone else think that the book he’s reading, The Splinters of Power, is a good title for a Cosmere book?

This is going to be my first meeting of an author I read!!! 

Edited by The Forumlurker

29 minutes ago, The Forumlurker said:

Questions:

2.  Will he be doing signings/questions?

3. I’ve heard you have to buy a book there for him to sign it, is that true?

4. Does anyone else think that the book he’s reading, The Splinters of Power, is a good title for a Cosmere book?

This is going to be my first meeting of an author I read!!! 

1) just be there and don't worry. It will be fine

2) yes he will

3) no you don't but they would appreciate if you bought a book there. If you bring one of yours it has to easily identified that you brought it with you

4) he won't read himself. There's a german author coming along, and read the translated version.

1 hour ago, Winds Alight said:

You sure about that? I was at a signing of Peter V. Brett at the same bookstore in Stuttgart last year and I believe Brett did the reading of the original version.

That's what the guy on the telephone told me. If he was wrong I'm happy.

Edit:

And that's how they describe the event: (I don't need to translate if you're living close to Stuttgart I guess?). Seems like the guy in the store was right.

Brandon Sanderson liest aus "Die Splitter der Macht"

Der bekannte US-amerikanische Fantasyautor Brandon Sanderson ist am 17. Mai bei uns zu Gast und präsentiert gemeinsam mit dem deutschen Autor Björn Springorum als deutscher Stimme seinen aktuellen Fantasy-Roman "Die Splitter der Macht". Natürlich können sich Fans im Anschluss Ihre Bücher signieren lassen. 

Edited by Sorana

From the bookstore:

Brandon Sanderson reads from “The Splinters of Power”
The well-known American fantasy author Brandon Sanderson will be our guest on May 17 and together with German author Björn Springorum will present his current fantasy novel “Die Splitter der Macht” as a German voice. Of course fans can sign their books afterwards.

I probably won't be able to make it, unfortunately.

It's a German Cosmere book title that isn't garbage for once, so there's that ...

Edited by Elegy

9 hours ago, Elegy said:

I probably won't be able to make it, unfortunately.

It's a German Cosmere book title that isn't garbage for once, so there's that ...

What, don't you think "Krieger des Feuers" was a great title for The Well of Ascension? (It means "warrior of fire" and. Dear German publisher. I have questions.)

I don't know whether I can stand listening to a German reading and hear the word "sprengsel" out loud. :ph34r:

On 14.4.2019 at 11:08 AM, spren_of_cultivation said:

@Nivallo and @Pattern Obviously there are more SA fans within reach than I thought :)

I will be in Bonn, too. If anyone is interested in meeting / having a cup of coffee before the event - just raise a hand. 

I was at the bookstore in Bonn this evening getting my preordered ticket. I guess I will make it to Bonn on 15th May around 19:00 (perhaps earlier, if i can manage to shuffle other appointments), that would leave half an hour to meet and drink a coffee. There are a lot of possibilities around the bookstore, which is directly at the market place. If I heard the assistant at the bookstore correctly, there will be 150 people maximum. Entry will be at 19:30.

Edited by Pattern

23 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

What, don't you think "Krieger des Feuers" was a great title for The Well of Ascension? (It means "warrior of fire" and. Dear German publisher. I have questions.)

I don't know whether I can stand listening to a German reading and hear the word "sprengsel" out loud. :ph34r:

"Sprengsel." I didn't trust my eyes when I discoverd that. I will be in Bonn anyway but maybe I will listen to the english part via Audible while they are reading in german ;-)

Anyway, I think I will have to accustom myself to all the german "translations" for shardblade, spren, brightlord, highprince, Hearthstone etc. because I'm still trying to bring some "german-only" friends into the Cosmere. 

@Pattern I'm already imagining myself going round whispering at random people "Pattern!?" :D 

15 hours ago, spren_of_cultivation said:

Anyway, I think I will have to accustom myself to all the german "translations" for shardblade, spren, brightlord, highprince, Hearthstone etc. because I'm still trying to bring some "german-only" friends into the Cosmere. 

I fear I won't understand half of the text until I get the translations sorted. Listened to an audiobook with a friend a few months ago and it left me confused...

Anyway if one of those going to Stuttgart is interested in meeting for a coffee, just tell me/ us. We should be around rather early, as we decided to take the day off, or it would have been hard to get there in time.

@hypatia

@Winds Alight

@The Forumlurker

42 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Anyway if one of those going to Stuttgart is interested in meeting for a coffee, just tell me/ us. We should be around rather early, as we decided to take the day off, or it would have been hard to get there in time.

@hypatia

@Winds Alight

@The Forumlurker

I will most likely have the day off and drive to Stuttgart rather early, so a coffee would be nice!

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

I fear I won't understand half of the text until I get the translations sorted. Listened to an audiobook with a friend a few months ago and it left me confused...

I agree. Someone once talked to me about this really awesome book they read and wanted to recommend and it took like 20 minutes for me to understand that they were talking about Mistborn :D some of the German translations sound so bad.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to Stuttgart.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:11 AM, The Forumlurker said:

I totally read this wrong the first time and missed the "not" and found myself thinking, "Well, there are lots of ways. Most of them I don't recommend."

But no, you are much more sensible than my tired brain was registering. xD

17 hours ago, Sorana said:

nyway if one of those going to Stuttgart is interested in meeting for a coffee, just tell me/ us. We should be around rather early, as we decided to take the day off, or it would have been hard to get there in time.

Thanks for the offer but for now I’ll think I’ll pass.

if I consider otherwise later I’ll be sure to tell you though!

• 3 weeks later...

Soooooooo

I tried to tweak my schedule to somehow get to one of his signings (they are in Berlin, Bonn, München, and Stuttgart, all next week), but I just can't.

So I really hope that he'll be back for a Stormlight 4 promotion tour in two years!!! and would like to know: is there someone willing to protocol the Q&A sessions? :)

-------

PS: oh come on. I think the translators worked hard on the books. Translation often means that you just have to decide between several options. I mean, yeah, sometimes the decision is questionable, but how WOULD you translate "spren"? Also, Elant struck me as a weird name when I read the translation of Mistborn (guess who it is...), but, I mean, just leaving him be "Elend" in the German version would give his name a twist that wasn't intended in the original. I don't know about the French version, but just leaving Vin be Vin and not at least chaning her name to "Vinne" would be weird. I guess the translation seminars in university changed my view on all of that, but in general, the German translations really are not bad, guys.

Edited by Wind_Breaker

38 minutes ago, Wind_Breaker said:

I tried to tweak my schedule to somehow get to one of his signings (they are in Berlin, Bonn, München, and Stuttgart, all next week), but I just can't.

Let's join the club of people who would have liked to go but couldn't ... Ah, well. There's always two German releases of each Stormlight book, so double the chance he'll come again. Heyne's sales policy has its pros after all!

Concerning the translations, I think Siefener did a good job with Mistborn, Elantris and Warbreaker. I only looked into the first Stormlight book's translation, but that one doesn't convince me as much. "Wüstwerdung"? Why not "Verwüstung", it rolls off the tongue much better. There's a lot of other cases of that kind in that book. Maybe there's just too many in-world terms that are hard to translate, but even then a lot of them are handled rather clumsy. Like the Shards in general. I can get behind "Ehr" for Honor, but "Bewahr"? I don't even know how things like Autonomy and Devotion would turn out. But, like I said, I respect Siefer's work, especially with the non-Stormlight Cosmere works. 

Shadows of Self, on the other hand, took just a look into it for me to want to throw it straight through Thalia. They didn't even translate "Lord Ruler". Why throw English terms into a fantasy book? Why break the consistency in the middle of a series (they changed translator after Alloy of Law, which was translated by Siefener)? Furthermore, the language doesn't have any flow to it and sounds like she translated one sentence at a time without any attention to the tone. It doesn't read like an adult book at all.

I'll stick to the originals for the rest of forever, although I am aware that translating a piece of art is always a hard task, so no bad feelings.

Edited by Elegy

17 hours ago, Wind_Breaker said:

Soooooooo

So I really hope that he'll be back for a Stormlight 4 promotion tour in two years!!! and would like to know: is there someone willing to protocol the Q&A sessions? :)

-------

PS: oh come on. I think the translators worked hard on the books. Translation often means that you just have to decide between several options. I mean, yeah, sometimes the decision is questionable, but how WOULD you translate "spren"? Also, Elant struck me as a weird name when I read the translation of Mistborn (guess who it is...), but, I mean, just leaving him be "Elend" in the German version would give his name a twist that wasn't intended in the original. I don't know about the French version, but just leaving Vin be Vin and not at least chaning her name to "Vinne" would be weird. I guess the translation seminars in university changed my view on all of that, but in general, the German translations really are not bad, guys.

I'm aware that translating is a hard job especcially for fantasy books with all their made up words. But for me they just read wrong. (not sure how else to describe it) The language after translation doesn't have the same feeling and it doesn't flow the same. But it's ok. I'm glad there are translations for those not as versed in english but for me I'll simply stick to the english versions. =)