Is it possible to become feruchemically savant?

Keeper Exile

After Spook became a savant, he had extremely enhanced senses, and when he stopped burning tin his senses were dulled. So, I was wondering if it is possible to become feruchemically (sorry if I spelled that wrong) savant. Take, for example, the Firemothers and Firefathers. They spend their whole lives filling metalminds with heat, so they probably grow accustomed to the cold over time. But, if they were to stop filling their metalminds, would the normal temperature seem hot to them? Would cold air seem pleasant to them? If so, would this be savant? I did as much research as I could on this subject, but I probably missed some stuff. Go ahead and share your thoughts on this.

It's technically possible, but a lot more difficult, because in Feruchemy, it's basically about balance. It'd be very hard for a normal Feruchemist to ever be able to store up enough of one attribute to tap it enough to become a savant.

If they were able to Compound, then definitely. Miles was a gold savant, for instance.

Brandon has said that He never planned for Feruchemical savants. 

Kurkistan

Is there such a thing as a Feruchemical savant?

Brandon Sanderson

I did not write Feruchemical savants into the original outline. Whether or not I will do them- it’s highly unlikely because it’s not there and Mistborn is getting trickier and trickier in that regard. But I didn’t write them in, so… that’s a “probably not”.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

Personally, I think the reason for this (and this is just my head Canon) is because rather than flooding the Spiritual Aspect with Investiture like allomancy does, the flow of Investiture from the Spiritual to the Physical is interrupted and shunted into the metalmind, and then drawn out directly again to the physical. 

As for compounding... Yeah I got nothing. 

Was he? Because I can't recall anything we see him do with F-Gold that can't be attributed to just lots and lots of stored health and constant tapping and Brandon has said that savantism among feruchemists is probably not going to be a thing.

Kurkistan

Is there such a thing as a Feruchemical savant?

Brandon Sanderson

I did not write Feruchemical savants into the original outline. Whether or not I will do them- it’s highly unlikely because it’s not there and Mistborn is getting trickier and trickier in that regard. But I didn’t write them in, so… that’s a “probably not”.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

There is a later WoB that suggests the possibility of doing crazy things with feruchemy and a lot of practice but that may only be a function of practice and expanding your ideas about what's possible via experimentation (given how big of a role perception plays in most magics) rather than savantism per se. And he phrased it as 'people in the Cosmere would argue that has merit' without actually confirming it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Calderis by seconds!

Edited by Weltall

53 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Was he? Because I can't recall anything we see him do with F-Gold that can't be attributed to just lots and lots of stored health and constant tapping and Brandon has said that savantism among feruchemists is probably not going to be a thing.

There is a later WoB that suggests the possibility of doing crazy things with feruchemy and a lot of practice but that may only be a function of practice and expanding your ideas about what's possible via experimentation (given how big of a role perception plays in most magics) rather than savantism per se. And he phrased it as 'people in the Cosmere would argue that has merit' without actually confirming it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Calderis by seconds!

I remember something about Miles being a savant, but it's one of those elusive (or imaginary) WoBs that I can't find again. That being said, Miles makes sense as a savant. He burns gold to the point where he's insensitive to physical sensation when he's not burning it. Very much like how Spook's senses were dulled when he wasn't burning tin.

5 hours ago, RShara said:

Miles makes sense as a savant. He burns gold to the point where he's insensitive to physical sensation when he's not burning it. Very much like how Spook's senses were dulled when he wasn't burning tin.

Yes, this is what I was going to say about feruchemical savantism as derived from Compounding a never-ending net-positive source of a given attribute.

4 hours ago, Embrisk said:

It mentions that once you start compounding, it becomes dangerous to stop. That's just one thing I noticed.

I don't think Compounding is the danger per se, so much as the constant tapping. If Wayne were to gain a medallion for A-gold, he'd be able to compound temporarily and could just shunt it off into a couple of rusting big personal goldminds, take off the medallion, and enjoy his new goldminds at his leisure (as he did with Kelesina's enormous and unkeyed goldmind).

How does Miles tap his goldmind while asleep, though? Didn't we settle that one couldn't do that unconsciously, such that TLR and Marsh also have to be constantly compounding/filling/tapping a bronzemind for wakefulness in order to do the constant compounding of an atiummind for youth? Or is one aspect of his infinite F-gold healing himself of the damage from never sleeping?

8 hours ago, robardin said:

How does Miles tap his goldmind while asleep, though? Didn't we settle that one couldn't do that unconsciously, such that TLR and Marsh also have to be constantly compounding/filling/tapping a bronzemind for wakefulness in order to do the constant compounding of an atiummind for youth? Or is one aspect of his infinite F-gold healing himself of the damage from never sleeping?

It's probably the Feruchemical equivalent of the Tetris thing, where if you do something so much, you'll dream about it and sometimes act it out while asleep. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2019 at 6:36 AM, Sir Knave said:

But we're ignoring the real question. Can you become a Hemalurgical savant?

I mean... What do you think a Koloss is?

Iron Hemalurgy savant. The physical embodiment of physical strength. So strong it can't even be human anymore.

...Makes me wonder what a Copper hemalurgy savant/construct would be.

Edited by Halyo_Alex

• Chaos locked this topic