Mraize is Kelsier

SamsonSeaBorn

Yep, sorry, took me a minute to dig it up.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Has Kelsier done any worldhopping?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Kelsier is bound to Scadrial the same way that a spren is bound to Roshar, because of the level of Investiture and the type and the way it happened. It is possible to get offworld but he does not know what it is.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Out of curiousity, what about the end of Bands made you think that? Also, Mraize is genetically Thaylen.

Peter Ahlstrom

I think it's pretty clear in the book that Mraize is from Thaylenah.

Peter Ahlstrom

And I wasn't being sarcastic or joking when I said I thought it was obvious from the text that Mraize was a Thaylen from Thaylenah.

Miscellaneous 2014 (Aug. 12, 2014)

Edited by RShara

11 minutes ago, RShara said:

Out of curiousity, what about the end of Bands made you think that?

I’ll have to find it but it’s just the way they talked about the lord ruler still being around (spook?) and them leaving the bands behind as an artifact. I’d assumed kel got a body (probably a damaged body... covered in scars) 

i took a little leap in thought too from Kelsiers side story about how he traveled off world to the waystation where he stole the gem housing part of preservation. I presumed he’d just travel again unknowing that’s what he was doing once he got a body to find the 17th shard again which is why I thought he would be Mraize. Found the 17th shard found them distasteful and created the gb as a counter to them

Edited by SamsonSeaBorn

Well Kelsier is the Sovereign, but he's not using Spook's body, since Spook was up on the Northern continent for a century after the Catacendre. And he never actually went all the way off world, the Ire fortress was very close to Scadrial, something like near-orbit (except not, since the CR doesn't have orbits like that).

1 minute ago, RShara said:

Well Kelsier is the Sovereign, but he's not using Spook's body, since Spook was up on the Northern continent for a century after the Catacendre. And he never actually went all the way off world, the Ire fortress was very close to Scadrial, something like near-orbit (except not, since the CR doesn't have orbits like that).

Right I didn’t think he was in spooks body. Just that they spiked kel in a new body... or his old body preserved ;). And yeah probably the closest point with a perpendicularity between Scadrial and Sel

9 minutes ago, RShara said:

Errr, the Ire fortress wasn't a perpendicularity?

Right but at this point I don’t think there are space ships so to world hope you need to go through and exit through one.. unless I’m mistaken on how world hopping works too and that wouldn’t be a surprise but kinda like how the Rosharan system has several planets with perpendicularities. Kel didn’t need to pass through one since he was in the cognitive realm already. I’m sorry that I’m not articulating this right. 

Edited by SamsonSeaBorn

23 minutes ago, SamsonSeaBorn said:

Right but at this point I don’t think there are space ships so to world hope you need to go through and exit through one.. unless I’m mistaken on how world hopping works too and that wouldn’t be a surprise but kinda like how the Rosharan system has several planets with perpendicularities. Kel didn’t need to pass through one since he was in the cognitive realm already. I’m sorry that I’m not articulating this right. 

What?

Of the half-dozen or so people in the room, one drew her attention most. Straight-backed, with jet-black hair, he wore white clothing and stood in front of the room’s crackling hearth. He reminded her of someone, a man from her childhood. The messenger with the smiling eyes, the enigma who knew so much. Two blind men waited at the end of an era, contemplating beauty. . . .  
The man turned around, revealing light violet eyes and a face scarred by old wounds, including a cut that ran down his cheek and deformed his upper lip. Though he looked refined—holding a goblet of wine in his left hand and dressed in the finest of suits—his face and hands told another story. Of battles, of killing, and of strife.

That's the first time we're given his description, before we even know his "name." (we still don't know his name) 

There is no distinct nationality given. And they are not given in future meetings either to my knowledge. 

He is a distinctly recognizable individual, with no distinct ethnic/national traits whatsoever. 

Edited by Calderis

18 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I assume Peter meant that it was obvious because Mraize calls Iyatil his babsk which, if I understand properly, is a Thaylen word for master in a master/apprentice scenario. This still seems pretty slim given how well traveled Mraize is.

Considering his tendency to study local cultures, i find the only evidence that he's even Rosharan is his light violet eyes. 

@SamsonSeaBorn Just for future reference, a Cognitive Shadow can have a Physical body but still be 'bound' to the system where the Investiture sustaining them is located. The Heralds and the Returned have the same difficulty leaving Roshar/Nalthis that Kelsier has leaving Scadrial. It's not impossible (as Vasher proves) but it's something you need to learn how to do and Kelsier hasn't learned it yet. Also, Kelsier kind of needs that spike since it's stapling his soul to his body and if Mraize had a chunk of metal through one of his eyes, it's the sort of thing that people would notice, I think. xD

2 minutes ago, Weltall said:

@SamsonSeaBorn Just for future reference, a Cognitive Shadow can have a Physical body but still be 'bound' to the system where the Investiture sustaining them is located. The Heralds and the Returned have the same difficulty leaving Roshar/Nalthis that Kelsier has leaving Scadrial. It's not impossible (as Vasher proves) but it's something you need to learn how to do and Kelsier hasn't learned it yet. Also, Kelsier kind of needs that spike since it's stapling his soul to his body and if Mraize had a chunk of metal through one of his eyes, it's the sort of thing that people would notice, I think. xD

Does Kel only have the one eye spike? I always thought he had to have the full 16 in order to make the Bands.

@Calderis I agree. I wasn't even convinced he was human until someone showed me a WoB, I thought he was a Dysian.

9 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Does Kel only have the one eye spike? I always thought he had to have the full 16 in order to make the Bands.

Wasn't he a full mistborn? Also, he - even if only momentarily and imperfectly on the greater cosmere scale - actually held a Shard. That's more than Elend or even Rashek got. I'd imagine he's pretty buff on his own. And since Allomancy is all about Spiritwebs, I doubt his skill would change depending on body. In fact, his natural propensity towards Ruin would probably make him amazing at figuring out Hemalurgy too.

Yeah... Kelsier OP. Can't wait to see him in action now. He could probably teach the Knights Radiant about what being truly skilled with power means.

Edited by TheFoxQR

11 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

@Calderis I agree. I wasn't even convinced he was human until someone showed me a WoB, I thought he was a Dysian.

He just has the eye spike that we know of, and it's connecting his soul to a body.