Shardblade Summoning Forms

21 minutes ago, AonBene said:

Well, not cut through. Smash through. It just seems OP.

Why would it smash through any better than a hollow ball of any other material? It would be lighter than a steel ball of that size, and should act like it.

Take away the cutting edge, and you negate a lot of the OP advantages of shardweapons. 

5 minutes ago, AonBene said:

True.

*feels a click in his head*

What if shardblade forms are limited to roughly the height of a man? Because, I mean, what would stop a radiant from making a 30 foot blade and cutting through lines upon lines of men?

They are. 

Questioner

We've seen that the "Sylblade" can change shape to fit Kaladin's needs. Is there a limit on the size of the blade that Syl can become?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Okay. And can you share with me what the upper limits on those sort of things would be?

Brandon Sanderson

Upper limits of hers are about human-sized.

Questioner

Is it always going to be something that has to be a fighting utensil, or does it have to...?

Brandon Sanderson

That's going to RAFO. You'll have to see.

[...]

I will say this. You have seen Syl changing shape from the first time she appears onscreen and she is frequently not a weapon.

Footnote: Edgedancer answers this fairly unequivically with the shard-rod and shard-fork
Words of Radiance Seattle signing (March 8, 2014)

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Possibly... But it would need to be solid. Moving parts involve multiple parts, so that's a no go. 

The fascinating thing about living Shardblades is that they can instantly change their shape based on their wielder's needs. Imagine you had a Shardgauntlet that could move with your hand. Or storms, a full suit of armor.

(Like the funny nanotech suit in Infinity war)

15 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

The fascinating thing about living Shardblades is that they can instantly change their shape based on their wielder's needs. Imagine you had a Shardgauntlet that could move with your hand. Or storms, a full suit of armor.

(Like the funny nanotech suit in Infinity war)

This assumes that it would be as unbreakable and amazing while shifting as it normally is... Which I find unlikely. 

9 hours ago, Calderis said:

They are. 

He's fairly specific that the upper limits of Syl are about human sized, which is also the biggest we've seen her manifest in human shape.  Makes me think that others, like perhaps her aunt, that have shown larger forms could become larger weapons. 

30 minutes ago, Croaker's Apprentice said:

Perhaps the greatest foe of the KR...not Odium, but Bureaucracy ! 

"You've always worried about this, havent you?  That the world would come to be ruled by pens and scribes, not swords and generals." (Stormfather, OB, Ch 65) :D

You could probably summon them as a gauntlet or something. We know how awesome Kaladin was with the helmet-gauntlet and a Syl gauntlet would be indestructible and wouldn't drain stormlight like normal shardplate. To be honest, this sort of fighting style might only be useful to him in cases where he doesn't have/can't use that much stormlight though. 

.....Also, a shield would be better now that think about it. Storms!

3 hours ago, Croaker's Apprentice said:

And there I was, thinking that this post was going to be about a new documentary protocol on Roshar...Forms to be completed  - properly and in triplicate -  before you could apply to summon a Shardblade.

Perhaps the greatest foe of the KR...not Odium, but Bureaucracy ! 

Good thing Odium Unmade a Vogon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon

On 3/25/2019 at 10:25 AM, The Ryshadium said:

You could probably summon them as a gauntlet or something. We know how awesome Kaladin was with the helmet-gauntlet and a Syl gauntlet would be indestructible and wouldn't drain stormlight like normal shardplate. To be honest, this sort of fighting style might only be useful to him in cases where he doesn't have/can't use that much stormlight though. 

.....Also, a shield would be better now that think about it. Storms!

He did summon Syl as a shield at one point while fighting Szeth above the shattered plains.

23 hours ago, Lidolas said:

Good thing Odium Unmade a Vogon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon

Ahh yes.  Giant yellow spaceships terrorizing Roshar.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, beantheboy12 said:

What if shardblade forms are limited to roughly the height of a man? Because, I mean, what would stop a radiant from making a 30 foot blade and cutting through lines upon lines of men?

Leverage. Long objects are very hard to hold(try hanging on to a thirty foot pole sometime).  Also if the enemy grabs the other end which you would have a hard time swinging quickly so lastclasp you are in trouble.

16 hours ago, Karger said:

Leverage. Long objects are very hard to hold(try hanging on to a thirty foot pole sometime).  Also if the enemy grabs the other end which you would have a hard time swinging quickly so lastclasp you are in trouble.

I am now imagining a shard-chainsaw.  Specifically a 30 foot long one.

Edited by Jozomby

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Spren can turn into basically any shape, but only one object at a time.  Thus no moving parts.  

Putting aside the fact that a 30 foot long chainsaw is way past the size limit, it just might be possible.  I kind of want to ask Brandon about it :D.  Earlier someone mentioned the idea of a spren weapon constantly changing shape - like, a gauntlet that would change shape as you move your hand.  If that's possible, then you could totally do a chainsaw.  If you have the ability to constantly mutate the shape of an object, there's no need for moving parts.  Just make the shape, and then have the spren move the bits around the edges as if they were a spinning chain.

Ridiculous, yes, but I wonder...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, Karger said:

The books say that a shardblade isn't that heavy but when it changes into a shield it is the same weight.  Now, shields are usually heavier than swords but in shard form they are equal.  When Kaladin changes Syl to a knife I don't think Brandon said anything about weight but with the sword shield ratio we can assume the knife was the same weight as the sword.  This would mean that you wouldn't need a lot of leverage with a 30 foot long sword as is weighs the same as a normal sword.  But this point is moot anyway since there is a limit on how large a shardblade can be.  (I actually haven't read the books in a long time so if you could come up with some text that would be great):P