Questions about investiture

The Elemental Shard

Question

5 answers to this question

I suppose you could say it's  the third element of makeup in the Cosmere. In our universe, there are two elements of makeup: matter and energy. Investiture "came from" Adonolsium. or rather, Adonolsium was all of the investiture in the Cosmere. when he was shattered, the sixteen individuals who killed him took up the investiture for themselves. (I am no expert so I could be getting some of this stuff wrong)

here is the coppermind page for investiture:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Investiture

5 hours ago, The Elemental Shard said:

What is investiture?

The third state of matter/energy in the Cosmere:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Shallan's Lightweaving. How does she make those physical? Is it light becoming matter?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So I'm not going to answer this one either, so you get another RAFO card. But I'll tell you which way to think. Here, energy and matter are basically the same thing. Investiture, energy, and matter are the same thing in the Cosmere.

In our world, when we touch, we are touching energy, right? We are not actually touching. The atoms are repelling each other or whatever. I'm not a physicist. I'm sorry, physicists!

Contact is a weird, weird thing. Keep in mind, investiture is another state of matter and energy in the Cosmere. It's not really that hard to extrapolate along.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Where does it come from?

Why does it exist?

'Adonalsium' and 'Because Adonalsium' respectively:

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Is all Investiture in the cosmere associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, well, okay. So this is a complicated one. *pauses* So, Investiture predates the Shattering of Adonalsium, all Investiture was from Adonalsium, all Investiture got assigned to one of the 16 Shards when Adonalsium was Shattered. Some of the Investiture was not on Yolen but location is irrelevant. So Investiture is related to Shards even on planets where none of the Shards are inhabiting.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Where Adonalsium came from (if such a term is even appropriate) we don't know. It's possible that it created the Cosmere but it's equally possible that it arose and attained sapience on its own, the Cosmere becoming conscious as it were. Investiture is already known to do that on a smaller scale, if left alone for long enough.

'Pure' Investiture is in the Spiritual Realm but it also manifests as Investiture in the other two Realms (in things like spren, the godmetals, Perpendicularities and the Mists on Scadrial) and in its matter-state it's what everything else is made of.

focoma

Is there a quantum of Investiture? Just as how the photon (the quantum of light) is the force carrier particle of electromagnetism, is there a force carrier particle for Investiture, and do you have a name for it? (My follow up question would involve string theory, but I'll leave that one for later.)

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is a quantum of Investiture, though it acts very oddly in the cosmere.

True Investiture is a purely Spiritual Realm thing. In the cosmere, there are two alternate planes of existence, with their own specific laws. Some of them, as you've undoubtedly notice, behave similar to ideas in String Theory.

/r/books AMA 2015 (May 24, 2015)

Edited by Weltall

I guess you could almost say that Investiture is like the Force from Star Wars... But way, way, cooler. Would you rather:

A. Choke People and throw lightsabers

B. GLOW, FLY, AND SWING A SWORD THAT KILLS PEOPLE INSTANTLY!!!!!!!!!(Stormlight Archive)

Ok, mabye you can tell my choice.

Edited by John Flamesinger
Forgot something

2 hours ago, John Flamesinger said:

I guess you could almost say that Investiture is like the Force from Star Wars... But way, way, cooler. Would you rather:

A. Choke People and throw lightsabers

B. GLOW, FLY, AND SWING A SWORD THAT KILLS PEOPLE INSTANTLY!!!!!!!!!(Stormlight Archive)

Amusingly enough, Brandon mentioned that one of the inspirations for Shardblades was that he thinks it's unfair that the coolest magic swords (lightsabers) were in a science fiction story and he wanted to make cool magic swords that would belong to the fantasy genre. xD