Why do shardblades burn out eyes?

WhiteEmporer

Question

8 answers to this question

Argent

When, in Stormlight, Shardblade victims are described as having burned out eyes, do the eyes physically burn out leaving empty eyesockets, or is it closer to a surface burn, maybe just looking like they had burned?

Brandon Sanderson

Eyes actually burn. It is an oddity that I might some day explain.

Stormlight Three Update #4 (Nov. 2, 2016)

I always thought that shadeblades sever the soul from the body(otherwise Odium would have killed the Heralds a long time ago).  I think that the smoke that leaves through their eyes is the raw investiture of the victum's soul leaving their body.  Like how both Ati and Vin produced smoke when they died.

13 hours ago, Karger said:

I always thought that shadeblades sever the soul from the body(otherwise Odium would have killed the Heralds a long time ago).  I think that the smoke that leaves through their eyes is the raw investiture of the victum's soul leaving their body.  Like how both Ati and Vin produced smoke when they died.

I don't believe that the people of Roshar have any innate investiture. The only shardworlds that come with innate investiture is the people of scadrial (harmony made and given a portion of preservation), and the people of nalthis (given a single breath from Endowment) Rosharans aren't born with investiture but rather find it through the Nahel bond.

19 minutes ago, Lightblood said:

I don't believe that the people of Roshar have any innate investiture. The only shardworlds that come with innate investiture is the people of scadrial (harmony made and given a portion of preservation), and the people of nalthis (given a single breath from Endowment) Rosharans aren't born with investiture but rather find it through the Nahel bond.

Everyone has some innate Investiture, because it makes up their soul.

36 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Everyone has some innate Investiture, because it makes up their soul.

Exactly and I doubt that a person could survive without their soul so if a shardblade removes the soul from the body then that could explain how they die.

I'm guessing it has something to do with why wielding a bonded Shardblade (either through a live Nahel bond, or a gemstone "simulated bonding" with a deadspren Blade) bleeds one's eyes to a lighter, glowing (if living spren) color. Somehow the nature of of what Surgebinding does is reflected through the eyes, and a Shardblade is kind of like the power of Surgebinding made material.