not an Evil Librarian

Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

219 posts in this topic

Tyvnk ftw!

(but actually Lift and Hoid)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Kaladin I just sort of (Read: really) wish that he would get over losing people and say the storming 4th oath.

Edited by Shard of Reading
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stormlight Archives would be better if not everyone and their grandmother became a Knight Radiant or a squire.

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, trav said:

Stormlight Archives would be better if not everyone and their grandmother became a Knight Radiant or a squire.

 

*in head* well not everyone is there's Adolin and.............

yeah, just him.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, trav said:

Stormlight Archives would be better if not everyone and their grandmother became a Knight Radiant or a squire.

 

Radiant I understand, but squire? That's like saying you wish not everyone is a misting in Mistborn.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trav said:

Stormlight Archives would be better if not everyone and their grandmother became a Knight Radiant or a squire.

 

People in Stormlight who are kinda important but aren't radiants or squires (in no particular order): Taravangian, Moash, Adolin, 9/10 highprinces (although only like 4 of them are important so far), Elhokar, Every Rosharan global leader (except Dalinar), Navani, Amaram, Several other characters who died, likely more characters that I can't remember right now.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ishar said:

 Elhokar, 

uhm, no, Elhokar was almost radiant.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ishar said:

People in Stormlight who are kinda important but aren't radiants or squires (in no particular order): Taravangian, Moash, Adolin, 9/10 highprinces (although only like 4 of them are important so far), Elhokar, Every Rosharan global leader (except Dalinar), Navani, Amaram, Several other characters who died, likely more characters that I can't remember right now.

don't forget May Aladar

Spoiler

and Rysn

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frustration said:

uhm, no, Elhokar was almost radiant.

um, yes, almost radiant is neither radiant nor a squire.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He sometimes lacks subtlety when he tries to work in the representation stuff.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

He sometimes lacks subtlety when he tries to work in the representation stuff.

Which is funny when he's trying to be subtle about it. 

Like in Mistborn Era 2. I forget the character, but Wax told Wayne to knock off hitting on her, the implication being see? Brandon is cool with gay people, there's one right there! They'll never have an onpage romance or marriage and ignore that old blog post about gay marriage that he never disavowed...

I guess what I'm getting at to get to my latest unpopular Brandon opinion: it'll be a sad day when he goes all Old Man Orson Scott Card on the Culture Wars. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Radiant I understand, but squire? That's like saying you wish not everyone is a misting in Mistborn.

theres the issue. you can become a squire by remote association. you can not do the same in Allomancy. you don't become a misting by befriending a Mistborn.

half (lowballing) the Kholin family became Radiants. Bridge Four now has how many full Radiants? 4? Kaladin, Teft, Renarin, Lopen.

at least its somehow offset by the large amount of Fused and that they are constantly reborn.

 

still not a fan of it

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

Which is funny when he's trying to be subtle about it. 

Like in Mistborn Era 2. I forget the character, but Wax told Wayne to knock off hitting on her, the implication being see? Brandon is cool with gay people, there's one right there! They'll never have an onpage romance or marriage and ignore that old blog post about gay marriage that he never disavowed...

I guess what I'm getting at to get to my latest unpopular Brandon opinion: it'll be a sad day when he goes all Old Man Orson Scott Card on the Culture Wars. 

Honestly I think people need to stop forcing it, they demand it happen and then get upset when it doesn't work out like they want.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

Which is funny when he's trying to be subtle about it. 

Like in Mistborn Era 2. I forget the character, but Wax told Wayne to knock off hitting on her, the implication being see? Brandon is cool with gay people, there's one right there! They'll never have an onpage romance or marriage and ignore that old blog post about gay marriage that he never disavowed... 

Well he’s staying away from it for now because he doesn’t want to do it wrong, which would be more offensive. I’m pretty sure he’s planning on eventually having an on page romance or at least main characters:

Quote

Questioner

Are you going to put a gay character in your book as a major character?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes! Someday I will, I want to... I'm easing my way into it because my specific culture and biases, I think would lead me to do it poorly, until I've... until I kind of ease my way in. There will be main characters who are LGBTQ in the future. I'm getting there, be patient with me.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 15, 2019)

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unpopular opinions:

Warbreaker is easily his poorest book.

Elantris is way better than anyone gives him credit for

Neither Warbreaker or Elantris needs a sequel

And (okay, this is a fandom unpopular opinion, but it drives me crazy) people who say that Brandon's books (and especially his romances) feel YA don't know what the term YA means. (Trust me, I took a whole class on YA lit, they aren't)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kittalia said:

(Trust me, I took a whole class on YA lit, they aren't)

Can I ask what YA is actually supposed to feel like/be?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

Can I ask what YA is actually supposed to feel like/be?

Here's Brandon's take on it (and his argument for Game of Thrones maybe being YA).  

Quote

marathyu316

Those are all good possibilities [for a novella Brandon is working on], but it could also be the one he mentioned during the first Book 4 update where an apprentice of Hoid is stranded on a minor shard world with an umbrella-based (Edit: oops!) magic system.

Brandon Sanderson

Please. It was a KITE based magic system. An umbrella-based magic would just be silly, now, wouldn't it.

I'm tempted to plot that one as a YA book, to be done after the Skyward novels. I'd like to do something YA in the cosmere, but have been waiting for the right moment.

coolRedditUser

Would Mistborn Era 1 not count as YA? I got those vibes from many parts of it, though most/all traces of that vanished in Era 2.

Brandon Sanderson

Mistborn Era One walks the line. (Having a teen protagonist for one of the viewpoints does indeed give it the vibe--and we did a YA printing of it, with YA covers.) Really only the first book would fit, though, and it's kind of a stretch.

Generally, YA is defined by the age of the protagonist, and the conflicts they're seeking. Vin's quest to find a home where she can trust the people around her is a YA style plot, but by the second book, it's drifted more toward adult style plots.

A lot of sf/f walks this line, though. There are arguments for some Game of Thrones to be YA for similar reasons. (Be aware that in the industry, content--meaning sex/violence/language--is not a descriptor of whether something is YA or not. It's age of the protagonists and the nature of the conflicts.)

General Reddit 2019 (May 27, 2019)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Here's Brandon's take on it (and his argument for Game of Thrones maybe being YA).  

Thank you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kittalia said:

Warbreaker is easily his poorest book.

Absolutely. No question. I wasn't aware that this might even be considered "unpopular."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.