Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

On 2019-03-23 at 3:42 AM, not an Evil Librarian said:

Jasnah is overpowered and unintirestingly perfect. she is to good at everything, and has no flaws at all. This makes her boring.

On 2019-03-23 at 9:36 PM, Shard of Thought said:

Amaram is awesome and I would have loved to see more of him. He's intriguing to me and much, much better than Moash.

What? I’m gone for like, a month, and people start sharing my most controversial opinions? Thanks guys!

WARNING

After reading this post, you may be tempted to hunt me down with a hemalurgic spike.

Dalinar is an Idiot. There. I've said it. But seriously, the person who KILLED HIS WIFE is the hero of the stormlight archive? His character development literally is: 

Pre-archive

1. Starts as bloody psychopath, killing whoever he wants

2. Goes through numerous war campaigns with his brother, contemplates killing his brother, decides to wallow in self pity instead as his brother steals his girlfriend.

3. Kills his wife

4. Wallows in more self pity, gets drunk.

5. Goes to the nightwatcher so he can forget he's an idiot instead of learning from it.

6. Goes back to being a bloody psychopath.

Way of Kings

7. Gets drunk & lets his brother die at a feast

8. Gets mopey about Gavilars death, and decides to hunt down his killers, simply for the sake of killing them (Probably because he's bored).

9. Becomes obsessed with a ancient philosophy book, and gets REALLY self righteous. 

10. Starts dating his dead brother's widow.

Etc, Etc.

But seriously, how does everyone stand him?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 11:45 AM, Pathfinder said:

Now for my own unpopular brandon sanderson opinion. Originally I just saw Adolin as any other character. I enjoyed his parts like all the other characters. Now I am kind of tired of hearing about him to the point where I have begun to hate the character. 

I agree with this 100%. Adolin has basically no development, and unlike other underdeveloped characters in the Stormlight Archive (Jasnah), he has had significant page time, and several chapters written from his POV. The only use I have seen for him is to help develop other characters, specifically Shallan, Kaladin, and his father.

Into SA spoiler territory now: (Still about Adolin, and I know most people have probably read all the SA at this point, but just in case)

Spoiler

I feel that having Adolin kill Sadeas was sorta pointless. Sadeas was actually (in my opinion) a great character, and killing him to then replace him with Amaram, who then died, felt a bit like a waste of not one, but two characters with huge potential. I also feel that having Adolin kill Sadeas was meant to develop character, and sure, the murder was hanging over Adolins head for a lot of Oathbringer, but it felt trivial to me, especially when after he confessed the murder to Dalinar, it was pretty much just dismissed.

Non-Adolin Unpopular Opinions:

I don't think this is unpopular, but it is worth saying anyway: Sanderson romances suck. They just do.

Veil is better than Shallan.

Lift can get tiring (I actually really like Lift, its just I can't take to much of her. I do hope that in future SA books she matures)

Making theories and predictions about what will happen/has happened is a waste of time.

Edited by Ishar

• 2 weeks later...

I've read Elantris twice and I found it extremely boring both times. The Hrathen chapters were the most boring and I don't really like him as a character. I have always felt that Elantris could easily be cut in half. I do enjoy the ending, but there is almost no excitement leading up to it. I actually gave up on this book at first which almost made me give up on Sanderson. Mistborn is what brought me back.

I personally have no problems with the books. I do agree that some are less entertaining than others, but I don't actually dislike any of them. That might be because I have virtually no standards for books apart from the kind of content :). I am the kind of guy who just reads the books for fun and doesn't really analyze them all that much, except for the magic systems.

Although, you have to agree, most of them are better than the general fantasy rubbish that usually gets thrown around. (Ok, you don't...)

Edited by Mushroom Catalog

• 1 year later...