Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

6 minutes ago, FranktheTalkingAxe said:

Ugh my school just blocked the 17th shard so now I have to actually do my algebra work and post my theories when i get home. Anyone interested in reading a fantasy story i am writing? Non-cosmere just... uh... writing

Baah they haven't blocked the shard on my laptop yet ;). I'll read your story

3 hours ago, FranktheTalkingAxe said:

Ugh my school just blocked the 17th shard so now I have to actually do my algebra work and post my theories when i get home. Anyone interested in reading a fantasy story i am writing? Non-cosmere just... uh... writing

Hey you’re in the wrong topic. Try the Reading Excuses forum.

On 2/12/2023 at 6:06 PM, GroundPetrel said:

which would also include a confusing and disgusting statement about Alethi bathroom habits that nobody asked for, wanted, or needed. 

I'm sorry to tell you but it is obviously canon that Dustbringers just poop where they stand and then use Division and Abrasion to disintegrate the poop as it comes out.

My real opinion is that I wish Brandon was, or worked with, a philologist and made full Tolkienesque conlangs for all the major languages.

On 2/12/2023 at 4:18 PM, Frustration said:

This is the unpopular Brandon opinions thread.

If other authors wrote the Cosmere is here

https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/16579-if-other-authors-wrote-the-cosmere-novels/?page=6

WTF how did that happen? 

I'm so sorry, I must've had two tabs open at the same time.  I apologize for being a bozo. 

On 2/18/2023 at 0:53 AM, GroundPetrel said:

WTF how did that happen? 

I'm so sorry, I must've had two tabs open at the same time.  I apologize for being a bozo. 

Don't worry about it.

Alright here's one: Stormlight books are not too long, and in fact are too short. Brandon has said SA 5 will probably be noticeably over 400k and I'm all for it.

I'm hoping that SA 10 gets to the 500k word mark at a bare minimum.

Edit: You know what, how about another.

The Cosmere has gotten to the point now that Brandon needs to say: "The average reader won't get this, too bad for them" and just write a book about a Silverlight Artifabrian combining Shardmetal and fabrials, and noting the effects, every now and again.

Edited by Frustration

OMG yes I love long books.  I would love Brandon doing a Stormlight book so big that it has to be published as three parts and just gives us a ridiculously deep dive into every character while meandering around the world just existing in it. 

Also if 99% of the book is just Adolin being supportive I will buy a million copies. 

• 5 months later...

Here is a letter I recently sent to Brandon Sanderson: "Hi, Brandon Sanderson. I recently finished reading The Lost Metal, and I have decided that you have seriously messed allomancy up. First of all, in The Hero of Ages, 16 percent of the population got snapped by the mists. This suggests that one percent of the population is a misting in a given basic metal (meaning not a god metal). However, there turned out to be Atium mistings, regardless. This makes no sense; there would have to be 48 percent of the population that became mistings, assuming each shard has a metal and an alloy of that metal. Also, someone messed up the math on that. the 16 percent mistfallen that were sick an extra week is NOT the same as one in 16. BIG difference there. Anyways, Bendalloy and Cadmium make no sense. They don't fit as temporal metals. Atium and Malatium, however, fit well into that place; see the past or the future of yourself or others. As for Ruin and Preservation's god metals, it should be something more reflective of the god itself, like preservation's metal renders the lives of those surrounding you as unkillable, and ruin's kills them or otherwise attacks them. Also, snapping is messed up. If preservation can't destroy, then why does manifesting a metallic art that is of him require an experience that often kills? Finally, you overlooked Nicrobursts in the era 2. For example, Wax notes in his fight against the Duralamin-Steel-Bronze-Chromium psychopath that he's never had to fight a duralumin-level allomancy before. However, is it too difficult to believe that one of the outlaws Wax faced percaps had a nicroburst ally?" 

Here is what I got from the fan mail team: "Thank you for writing to ask your questions! Due to Brandon’s busy schedule and the numerous questions we receive daily, we are unable to provide answers to questions submitted to us about lore or other questions looking for specific information about Brandon's worlds and works. "

So, what does everyone else think?

Oathbringer is the best SA book so far. Dalinar is the best in that book. I loved the way the world was being built up, the way we saw all the cultures, the way our characters were being built up, the way we saw Dalinar using his powers.

Moash can be redeemed.

Secret Project 2 was good.

WoA was eons away from being as good as TFE

15 hours ago, TheFrugalWizard said:

Here is a letter I recently sent to Brandon Sanderson: "Hi, Brandon Sanderson. I recently finished reading The Lost Metal, and I have decided that you have seriously messed allomancy up. First of all, in The Hero of Ages, 16 percent of the population got snapped by the mists. This suggests that one percent of the population is a misting in a given basic metal (meaning not a god metal). However, there turned out to be Atium mistings, regardless. This makes no sense; there would have to be 48 percent of the population that became mistings, assuming each shard has a metal and an alloy of that metal. Also, someone messed up the math on that. the 16 percent mistfallen that were sick an extra week is NOT the same as one in 16. BIG difference there. Anyways, Bendalloy and Cadmium make no sense. They don't fit as temporal metals. Atium and Malatium, however, fit well into that place; see the past or the future of yourself or others. As for Ruin and Preservation's god metals, it should be something more reflective of the god itself, like preservation's metal renders the lives of those surrounding you as unkillable, and ruin's kills them or otherwise attacks them. Also, snapping is messed up. If preservation can't destroy, then why does manifesting a metallic art that is of him require an experience that often kills? Finally, you overlooked Nicrobursts in the era 2. For example, Wax notes in his fight against the Duralamin-Steel-Bronze-Chromium psychopath that he's never had to fight a duralumin-level allomancy before. However, is it too difficult to believe that one of the outlaws Wax faced percaps had a nicroburst ally?" 

Here is what I got from the fan mail team: "Thank you for writing to ask your questions! Due to Brandon’s busy schedule and the numerous questions we receive daily, we are unable to provide answers to questions submitted to us about lore or other questions looking for specific information about Brandon's worlds and works. "

So, what does everyone else think?

I suggest you open a thread here: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/forum/18-mistborn/ and ask again to get a more detailed answer. This isn't a place for that. Short answer:

Spoiler

Preservation altered Allomancy to include Atium Mistings among Scadrial's population. Atium seen in era 1 wasn't pure Atium, it was an alloy of Atium and Electrum (and Malatium is an alloy of gold and Atium), and thus most likely every Atium Misting was actually an electrum Misting. 16% checks out.

Preservation's god metal Lerasium forms a Connection between a person burning it and Preservation, turning him into an Allomancer, and Preserving his soul. God metals are also something very different from 16 base metals. They are pure investiture and they are the fuel for Allomancy, unlike 16 base metals where they are only a keyhole for investiture to flow from Preservation directly. That's another reason why Atium and Malaium don't fit (the first on is that they show you the future/past of other people).

Snapping is required as Preservation forms a Connection by cracks in soul, Snapping makes these cracks. But what's important to note is at this point Preservation was mostly mindless and Snapping was automated kind of.

And with Nicrosil Mistings you're right, they should be more common, and Wax should have met at least one of them in his life.

Let's not discuss it here, if you want a more detailed answer, please create a thread in the Mistborn subforum where we can discuss it further and explain everything that's confusing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14.08.2023 at 8:53 PM, The Sibling said:

I totally agree!

I love the Warbreaker prologue and Oathbringer is awesome

SP3 is great but very much overhyped

aviator-jeux.com Aviator review

I agree with you about Warbreaker. The prologue is very well written and gives a good introduction to the world and characters. Oathbringer is my favorite Stormlight Archive novel. He is very ambitious and achieves everything he wants.

Edited by MikeGalager

1 minute ago, Aeoliae said:

Moash at least didn't rob people every other night and didn't cause the downfall of his entire planet 

I'm not sure how responsible Kelsier is for Ruin being released.

And I don't see how theft is better than multiple counts of first degree murder.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

I'm not sure how responsible Kelsier is for Ruin being released.

And I don't see how theft is better than multiple counts of first degree murder.

He did kill the Lord ruler, or conspired against him, and saved Vin, who did kill the Lord ruler

Edited by Aeoliae