Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

54 minutes ago, The One Ring said:

Well that's true. But I remember seeing something like "Moash-did-nothing-wrong gang" That was not started by me. And therefor this opinion is not controversial:P

This logic is flawed. Just because you are not the first person to reach such a conclusion does not make the conclusion uncontroversial. Moash is very much a controversial subject, as there are many people with a variety of differing opinions, all of whom tend to be fairly passionate about their position. 

If you are trying to argue that the opinion is not "unpopular," you may be right. From what I can tell, such an opinion seems to be increasingly popular, although it still seems to be significantly in the minority.

Somebody should make a poll.

Edited by Ishar

9 hours ago, Ishar said:

This logic is flawed. Just because you are not the first person to reach such a conclusion does not make the conclusion uncontroversial. Moash is very much a controversial subject, as there are many people with a variety of differing opinions, all of whom tend to be fairly passionate about their position. 

If you are trying to argue that the opinion is not "unpopular," you may be right. From what I can tell, such an opinion seems to be increasingly popular, although it still seems to be significantly in the minority.

Somebody should make a poll.

Almost every logic thinking I've made today is flawed apparently

11 hours ago, Doomstick said:

So airheaded people don’t deserve happiness?

Airheaded people can be happy and deserve things, but Shallan specifically makes stupid decisions and puts odd restrictions on herself. She has awesome powers, but she doesn't practice enough with them, she still needs to draw in detail whatever she wants to Lightweave.

The Way of Kings Prime should probably be adapted to live action. 

TWOK-P takes place in a far more grounded Roshar, with far more accessible (yet still mystical) powers. I think the journeys of Merin, Shinri, and Jasnah would be what people expect out of live action fantasy series, and Brandon's name would help them tune in. Add to it the fact that after the first book/season, the creators and showrunners would have free reign over where the show goes means that they get the perfect launching pad and now don't have to worry about an author publically complaining about how the story "doesn't follow the books" or "have the intentional spirit of the books" or whatnot. It's a baton pass that benefits both sides - Brandon gets his television show and that show brings more people to his books; and the book people will be invested in the show because it's Brandon's. The name would have to change, of course, but that's nothing new. 

Brandon turning into a sort of James Patterson, where he gives outlines to authors and lets them write stories in his worlds (Dark One, The Original, Deathrise, hopefully Adamant someday) is a great thing. This gives Brandon the freedom to work on his own projects, brings attention to lesser known authors, and infuses Brandon's worlds with a personality that they may not have otherwise. Mainframe - Brandon's audiobook company - is a great start in this direction. 

• People are shipping Kaladin with almost every next character in Stormlight Archive. Considering the gargantuan depression wrecking havoc inside him, I would gladly want him to remain without a partner at least for Arc 1/ or at least he learns to accept his problems. 
  • Oathbringer is not my favorite Stormlight Archive book despite letting us witness severe milestone moments. The ending especially, lest I say could've been better while some parts, especially of Shallan were not needed. 
  • The romantic plots are...unlikable, except Dalinar and Navani whom I totally cheer for.
  • Shallan was entrusting in TWoK, inspiring in WoR, compensating for Part 1 and 2 of Oathbriger but became annoying by its ending. 
  • Adolin is often undermined, forgotten even if he takes care of freaking everybody.
  • Why does everyone has weird feelings about Renarin? He's like the mother-of-pearl shrouded in ocean, unexplored. 
  • Wit has done 'nothing' yet.
  • This redeeming arc for everyone breaks the character uniqueness. (Staring at you, Moash after reading RoW previews) 

Oh, yeah. I've read Reckoners series, actually that was the first book series I've read from Brandon Sanderson and I really liked it but it was so freaking similar to Mistborn Era one including Steelheart and Lord Ruler claiming themselves 'Divine' just moments before they die and of course, Elend and Vin/David and Megan's 'Potato-minefield-cake-flirting' 

Edited by RamonaTehradin

6 hours ago, RamonaTehradin said:
  • People are shipping Kaladin with almost every next character in Stormlight Archive. Considering the gargantuan depression wrecking havoc inside him, I would gladly want him to remain without a partner at least for Arc 1/ or at least he learns to accept his problems. 

I seriously hope you meant deal with instead of accept.

29 minutes ago, Empress Stick said:

I'm just gonna hope you aren't implying Kaladin x Syl there.

Uh, absolutely no. That's too distasteful to even think. Kaladin is better off without anyone, honestly. And even if someone is brought as his romantic interest, its gonna take more than just clever crafting. 

54 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

My unpopular/controversial opinion: Kaladin's hair is the coward's route.  We've had plenty of men in fantasy with long, shoulder length hair.  Where is the waist length hair?

Basically I think Kaladin should grow his hair out.

Even better: floor-length hair that becomes a majestic cape when he's flying

Mistborn and possibly Stormlight SPOILERS for those who care...

I really loved the premise for Mistborn but thought that it was poorly executed and TFE doesn't really resemble my understanding of a heist story the way that Brandon always describes it. Also, the most interesting character of the five books I've read is the Lord Ruler and he died in the first book and was only on scene for a couple of chapters. I found his (not really his) journal entries the most interesting. 

I've only read the first two books of the Wax and Wayne series so please don't tag me in any spoilers but so far I think they're better than the first trilogy with a more fleshed out setting, better plot, and more engaging characters. I also think their belief in the religions established in the first era books to be more plausible.

But overall, I don't think any of the Mistborn novels hold a candle to anything found in Stormlight. Still, I get why people enjoy them but personally I'm happy that they weren't my first exposure to Brandon's work.

I'm not sure if I really have any truly unpopular opinions other than that... I've seen a lot of people agree with my disappointment in his Reckoners series so I don't feel like that's very unpopular. After reading this thread, I wasn't aware that so many people disliked Shallan or Adolin and was surprised not to find more people complaining about Kaladin being "angsty". I actually like all of the Stormlight characters so far, each for very different and particular reasons. 

I've seen someone mention on here that they think that Moash is redeemable and I agree with that. I'll also add to it by saying I believe that if Kaladin hadn't be so absorbed in his own self-pity and that if he had sat down and had a more open and frank discussion with Moash that his betrayal could have been prevented and Moash could have learned to move past his grief (even if he still chose not to forgive Elhokar).

I also believe that there was more to Elhokar than people give him credit for and based off of some things that he said in The Way of Kings, I thought that he was being haunted by some sort of evil force rather than being unduly paranoid and I wonder if, despite his death, we haven't seen the end of his story yet. But I'm also really bad an guessing stuff like that so I could be waaaaaaay off

Edited by ShawnMC

20 minutes ago, ShawnMC said:

I also believe that there was more to Elhokar than people give him credit for and based off of some things that he said in The Way of Kings, I thought that he was being haunted by some sort of evil force rather than being unduly paranoid and I wonder if, despite his death, we haven't seen the end of his story yet. But I'm also really bad an guessing stuff like that so I could be waaaaaaay off

He was not being hunted by an evil force. That's all I can say. 

Edited by Ramona Tehradin

9 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

My unpopular/controversial opinion: Kaladin's hair is the coward's route.  We've had plenty of men in fantasy with long, shoulder length hair.  Where is the waist length hair?

Basically I think Kaladin should grow his hair out.

That would be impracticle for fighting

you are just begging for your opponent to grab it.

12 hours ago, Ramona Tehradin said:

He was not being hunted by an evil force. That's all I can say. 

I said haunted but yeah, semantics. I recall him mentioning how he saw shadowy figures and often felt like he was being watched. As I was reading Oathbringer, I started wondering if he might be have one of the Unmade or some sort of iniquitous spren following him. as I said, I'm probably way off base. I'm not usually very good at picking up on plot twists and stuff like that. I'm also not as familiar with the rest of the Cosmere and a lot of people on here seem to be so.

He was probably just paranoid because of what happened to his father as well as the continued activity of the Assassin in White but it just seemed to me that there was some foreshadowing going on (or maybe Moash sticking him was the result of said foreshadowing). Again, I'm probably way off and just read into it more than what was there.

15 hours ago, ShawnMC said:

I said haunted but yeah, semantics. I recall him mentioning how he saw shadowy figures and often felt like he was being watched. As I was reading Oathbringer, I started wondering if he might be have one of the Unmade or some sort of iniquitous spren following him. as I said, I'm probably way off base. I'm not usually very good at picking up on plot twists and stuff like that. I'm also not as familiar with the rest of the Cosmere and a lot of people on here seem to be so.

He was probably just paranoid because of what happened to his father as well as the continued activity of the Assassin in White but it just seemed to me that there was some foreshadowing going on (or maybe Moash sticking him was the result of said foreshadowing). Again, I'm probably way off and just read into it more than what was there.

Those were merely Cryptics though? He was being scouted for a bond.