Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

19 hours ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

I liked Calamity's ending.

I don't believe in the Shallan+Kaladin ship. (But some people don't, so I'm not lonely.)

So far, Elantris is only ok. It's not interesting enough for me so I don't read it as often, but I'm around chapter 12 or 13.

2. It’s not happening.

3. Elantris is a slow burn, but it is a great book, despite its flaws.

50 minutes ago, Silva said:

Unpopular opinion?

*prepares to jump in a nearby hole*

Moash is redeemable.

Honestly, I hate Moash with all my heart and soul and I hope he dies a very painful death, but I have faith that Brandon will make us cry over him eventually. People from the future will read our stuff and think, "Wait, people hated this guy? He's awesome!"

2 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Honestly, I hate Moash with all my heart and soul and I hope he dies a very painful death, but I have faith that Brandon will make us cry over him eventually. People from the future will read our stuff and think, "Wait, people hated this guy? He's awesome!"

Hey, future people reading this: Thought and I predicted it and it's down here in black and white pixels. ;)

46 minutes ago, Lightblood said:

Odium is pretty cool

Parshmen should win the war for the world (but odium loses if possible)

Odium will escape Braize

Okay -- Odium, as a concept, is indeed pretty cool. So's Ruin. They have solid logic woven into their outlooks and provide an interesting look into what people would be like if they only had one aspect of a personality.

Edited by Reckless Reader

14 hours ago, Xavier Iriarte said:

Taravangian is not a bad guy

One of my favorite things about Sanderson books is that there are very few characters that can be easily defined as "evil". Yes, Moash is a jerk, but he was driven to it. Yes, Amaram is a liar and a hypocrite, but he is, in his own way, trying to save the world. TLR was trying to preserve humanity (and I do NOT agree with his methods, but he did give it a good shot). Honestly, I think the only characters that can be truly defined as classic villains are Ruin and Odium. Possibly all the Shards, since they are literally incapable of being anything other than their Intent. Everyone else is pretty much just a person with different goals. And the interaction and/or clashing of those goals is what causes conflict.

Unpopular opinions about Brandon Sanderson, eh? Boy howdy, do I have them! 

1) Brandon's writing is merely serviceable. 

2) Brandon's focus on the mechanics of magic turns it into a fantastical physics, not magic. 

3) Brandon's "refresher projects" are going to be the reason the Cosmere is never finished. 

4) The "refresher projects" serve more to expand his brand and therefore operate more like a calculated business decision then a necessity to maintain writing quality.

5) Brandon should have written Elantris and Warbreaker sequels long ago, that he hasn't is more to wanting a couple "standalone works" than anything else. 

6) Brandon does not know what "standalone" means. 

7) All his adult books read at a YA level, and the level of his YA books is insulting to the supposed literacy of young adults. 

4 minutes ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Brandon's focus on the mechanics of magic turns it into a fantastical physics, not magic. 

I'm very tempted to go through each of these and respond to them, but I'm just gonna go for this one at least for now. I think if you define magic as something that doesnt really make sense given the lack of real backstory, you're right. I would argue that magic is more often defined as a specific and fantastical aspect of the fictional world that doesn't exist in ours, which Brandon's systems definitely are. 

9 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Unpopular opinions about Brandon Sanderson, eh? Boy howdy, do I have them! 

1) Brandon's writing is merely serviceable. 

2) Brandon's focus on the mechanics of magic turns it into a fantastical physics, not magic. 

3) Brandon's "refresher projects" are going to be the reason the Cosmere is never finished. 

4) The "refresher projects" serve more to expand his brand and therefore operate more like a calculated business decision then a necessity to maintain writing quality.

5) Brandon should have written Elantris and Warbreaker sequels long ago, that he hasn't is more to wanting a couple "standalone works" than anything else. 

6) Brandon does not know what "standalone" means. 

7) All his adult books read at a YA level, and the level of his YA books is insulting to the supposed literacy of young adults. 

No offence, but why are you even here?

28 minutes ago, not an Evil Librarian said:

No offence, but why are you even here?

Why am I posting unpopular opinions about Brandon Sanderson in a topic about unpopular opinions on Brandon Sanderson? Hmmm... that is quite the puzzler! I don't know if science will ever be advanced enough to answer that question! :rolleyes: