SA or Mistborn?

Do you like Mistborn or SA better?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Mistborn or SA?

So, I was curious as to how we split for this. SA seems like it would attract more people, but for a lot of us devout cosmere fans, Mistborn was our first so we're biased. I'm a Mistborn person myself, mostly because of how much I connected with the characters. Anyway, what side are y'all on?

3 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

So, I was curious as to how we split for this. SA seems like it would attract more people, but for a lot of us devout cosmere fans, Mistborn was our first so we're biased. I'm a Mistborn person myself, mostly because of how much I connected with the characters. Anyway, what side are y'all on?

Then there are people like me who read Mistborn first and loved it, but still prefer Stormlight.

This is a tough choice. On one hand Mistborn got me right back into fantasy with a great array of characters, story and setting that could NOT be topped. On the other hand, Stormlight burst through and realised that Mistborn COULD be topped. It contains some of the best characters in writing and I'm excited for where it could go. SA>Era 1>Era 2 for me.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:38 PM, The Ryshadium said:

Then there are people like me who read Mistborn first and loved it, but still prefer Stormlight.

I mean really, it's about how much you enjoy 350,000+ word epic fantasy books.  There's just nothing more epic than SA and all it's cosmere implications.

Edited by eltari
grammar

21 minutes ago, eltari said:

I mean really, it's about how much you enjoy 350,000+ word epic fantasy books.  There's just nothing more epic than SA and all it's cosmere implications.

I would like to disagree. As much as I love SA, Mistborn is so much more... focused. You get to know the main character and the ending is just so perfect in every way. Who knows? When in a thousand years give or take, SA is finally finished, maybe I will change my opinion. 

The other reason I love Mistborn so much is how much I connected with the characters. I know I'm not the only one who Kelsier taught to smile. Honestly, the message of Mistborn is, I think, that you - anyone - can do hard things. You could argue that for SA too, I suppose, I just read the books at the right time in my life. It's hard to explain. 

Edit: I suppose what I'm trying to say is, the most epic thing is your own experience with the words on the pages.

Edited by Shard of Thought

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

I would like to disagree. As much as I love SA, Mistborn is so much more... focused. You get to know the main character and the ending is just so perfect in every way. Who knows? When in a thousand years give or take, SA is finally finished, maybe I will change my opinion. 

The other reason I love Mistborn so much is how much I connected with the characters. I know I'm not the only one who Kelsier taught to smile. Honestly, the message of Mistborn is, I think, that you - anyone - can do hard things. You could argue that for SA too, I suppose, I just read the books at the right time in my life. It's hard to explain. 

You say that it's focused, and that's precisely why I don't consider Mistborn in the same vein of epic fantasy as SA.  I personally don't even think of it most of its books as epic fantasy, at least in how I -personally- define it.  And in light of not wanting to get into a semantic argument about the definition of epic fantasy, I'll just say, the cast is much larger, other series' characters are showing up, and the stakes are for the entire cosmere in SA. 

1 minute ago, eltari said:

You say that it's focused, and that's precisely why I don't consider Mistborn in the same vein of epic fantasy as SA.  I personally don't even think of it most of its books as epic fantasy, at least in how I -personally- define it.  And in light of not wanting to get into a semantic argument about the definition of epic fantasy, I'll just say, the cast is much larger, other series' characters are showing up, and the stakes are for the entire cosmere in SA. 

Really it's just preference. Different styles, different genres. Different people. :)

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Really it's just preference. Different styles, different genres. Different people. :)

No doubt.  The thicker the book, the more characters, the longer the series to completion, and the greater the stakes, the better. :D

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I disagree.  Mistborn is going to have way more Cosmere-aware crossovers, while Stormlight is more stand alone.  Mistborn Era 4 is going to be the grand finale of the Cosmere sequence.  

I think he was referencing the first trilogy.  Regardless is their anyone who has read Stormlight and then Mistborn and thought Mistborn better?(Not judging one way or the other  its subjective obviously I actually want to know).  Even if I can't help but say the SA is obviously better.

3 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I disagree.  Mistborn is going to have way more Cosmere-aware crossovers, while Stormlight is more stand alone.  Mistborn Era 4 is going to be the grand finale of the Cosmere sequence.  

Ummm…Nightblood? Odium? They also understand the Shards a lot better. (I believe the grand finale of the Cosmere will happen in SA, as there are 7 more ~1,000 page books.

Edited by BringerofShadows