Mid-Range Game 34: Death by Lantern Light

Sart

The watchman shivered, desperately trying to rekindle his campfire. The wood was too cold and damp for his efforts to have any effect, and he groaned in anger. It had been like this for days. He was tired of the cold, tired of the snow, tired of this hard life on the front lines. As if to mock him, he felt a snowflake brush against his cheek. He swore to the Master. A breach in the circle would mean certain disaster. He grabbed his lantern, and grimaced. It was leaking. Spares were hard to come by, so he decided to keep using the shoddy light source, at least for tonight. The watchmen patrolled the perimeter, looking for any breaks. He was almost done, when he realized something odd. He hadn't seen a single Wild Chalkling. Normally there would be at least half a dozen scouts checking for any weak spots, and yet he hadn't seen any. He considered reporting it, when something reached around his throat. He didn't even have a chance to respond before his neck was deftly snapped. As he fell to the ground, his lantern exploded on the ground. Flames quickly followed the trail of oil it had been leaving behind. His killer whirled around, as the flames quickly ran towards the lantern's usual position, the camp's commissary. The cabin erupted into flame, immolating much of the camp's supplies. As the platoon rallied to save what little they could, the Forgotten slipped among them. Soon enough, one of the soldier's would find the poor watchmen's body, and then the killing would start. The camp didn't realize it yet, but most of them wouldn't be surviving the night.

Welcome to Mid-Range 34: Death by Lantern Light. This is a re-run of Mid-Range 27, and is set in the Rithmatist universe. I'm your GM, Sart, and @Seventh Saint is our Impartial Moderator.

Ruleset:

Spoiler

General:

Turns are 48 hours long, with a combined day-night cycle. Rollover will be at 7 PM Eastern Time, midnight GMT. PMs are open this game, just make sure to include me in them.

The Camp Supply:
The main mechanic in this game is the camp supply. This is a list of items that is available to the thread. As an action, anyone can take an item they want from the supply. It will not be revealed who took what item. If two people try to take the same item, it will be decided randomly who takes it. You cannot use an item the turn you take it, and items are discarded after one use. If a player was holding an item as they died, it is returned to the camp supply. Players may start the game with an item. As an action, you can give an item you are holding to another player. If two villagers are lynched in a row, more items will be added to the supply.

Items:

• Chalk: The tool of any Rithmatist. Use it to protect a target player. This can target yourself.
  • Acid: No one likes being sprayed with this low grade acid. Use it to make a target player lose their action. In addition, this removes any protection from Chalk targeting the player this cycle.
  • Bribe: Life is hard, so many Rithmatists look for illicit ways to relax. Use it to nullify a player's vote.
  • Spring-powered Crab: This marvel of technology comes with a camera attached. Use it to secretly observe a player's action.
  • Lantern: This illuminates faces in the dark. When you use this item, choose an item type. You will learn the identity of all players who attempted to take that type of item from the supply.
  • Gun: It's a gun, what do you expect? Use it to kill a player. If more than one person tries to grab the gun, all but one of them will die, and no one gets the gun, since it gets fired during the struggle.

Factions:

• Soldiers: These soldiers are on the front lines defending from the Wild Chalkling threat. They win when all Forgotten are dead.
  • Forgotten: These soldiers have been possessed by Wild Chalklings. They are a standard Eliminator team, with a doc to conspire in, and a nightly kill. They win when they outnumber the Soldiers.
  • Thief: To pull off your incredible escape plan, you're going to need a lot of items. You win when you have four unique items. As an action, you can target a player, and steal a random item they own.

The game will be staring on Thursday, March 28, at 7:00PM Eastern Time. Here's a timer

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @Elandera - Tahree Fields
  2. @Furamirionind - Loren Menza
  3. @A Joe in the Bush - Joel Tawson
  4. @Cadmium Compounder - Sonofa Gun
  5. @Mailliw772 - Logmul of Sdrawkcab
  6. @xinoehp512 - Rogiv
  7. @xxGaea - Iria Byrd
  8. @STINK - RP Character TBD
  9. @Kidpen - Snapizar
  10. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Caccoo Moreau
  11. @Arraenae - Kally
  12. @NotASteelClone - Steel Kid the Science Squid
  13. @Snipexe - Snip

Quick Links:

Edited by Fifth Scholar

• Alvron pinned this topic

"Oye! I found the watchman's body!" Joel Tawson waved the others towards him. "Chalklings didn't kill him, unless they've learned to snap all of our necks." He crouched down and surveyed the body. He hadn't been a man that Joel knew, but it was still bad news. Who would.have murdered him?

5 hours ago, NotASteelClone said:

I remember this being fun. I’ll hold off on joining for the moment, but I’ll join if you need the player. 

You should totally join Steel, if you do I might bring back Ronald.

Iria Byrd slips beside Loren, putting out an armoured hand to help the man up. "Whoa there--be careful, soldiers." She lets out a laugh, smiling brightly at the two men before her.

Hello lovelies. I would like to join as Iria Byrd, a strong-willed woman who makes up for her short stature with strength and charisma.

Joel yelped and darted forward to unsuccessfully catch the falling. . . Larry? Lamon? It was L something, he hadn't talked to the man much. He fell to his knees, almost falling on top of the dead man and the man under him. 

"Who there--be careful, soldiers." A women laughed and heaved Lenny? Leric? up to his feet. Together, the three of them managed to lift the body.

Joel looked at the two of them. "Uh, either of you know where we should take this?"

Color rushed to Loren's face.  "Umm, thanks Iria", Loren said, taking her hand and heaving himself to his feet.

After lifting the body with the help of the 2 others, Joel said, "Uh, either of you know where we should take this?"

Lauren frowned and said, "oh, it may have been easier to discuss this before lifting the body...

"Anyway, I assume we want to return it to the village once we head back. Perhaps we could throw it in the back of Tahree Fields' caravan?"

Loren then added under his breath, "serve her right for out performing me in the melee... "

Edited by Furamirionind
Spelling

Iria lets out a small laugh again, lightly clapping her gloved hand onto Loren's shoulder, "Not a problem, friend." She looks between Joel and Loren, "I suppose that is good a place as any. Shall we head that way, lads?"

Logmul of Sdrawkcab blinked and coughed. Her vision swam and everything seemed shaky; was that just her imagination or-

Oh. She was being carried. The thought came dimly as Logmul gritted her teeth against a fresh wave of pain. She wondered if there was a medic nearby, or whether she would die in a heap at... wherever she was going. She was too tired to think. It was much easier to let unconsciousness envelop her again.

Third time is the charm, supposedly.

RP Character will appear in the first cycle, I guess. Been a while since I've had to use those kinds of muscles (not like I use actual muscles much anyway) but you get my drift.

Slight problem. We don't have enough players. This game needs at least twelve players, and was designed for fifteen players in mind. We only have eight currently. Unfortunately, this means that the game is getting delayed. We'll wait until more players die in the Long Game some more spammers are banned. Estimated start time is now April 4, 7 PM Eastern Time.

21 minutes ago, Sart said:

Slight problem. We don't have enough players. This game needs at least twelve players, and was designed for fifteen players in mind. We only have eight currently. Unfortunately, this means that the game is getting delayed. We'll wait until more players die in the Long Game some more spammers are banned. Estimated start time is now April 4, 7 PM Eastern Time.

Fine. Signup as as Snapizar. 

On 3/25/2019 at 5:57 PM, Mailliw772 said:

Logmul of Sdrawkcab blinked and coughed. Her vision swam and everything seemed shaky; was that just her imagination or-

Oh. She was being carried. The thought came dimly as Logmul gritted her teeth against a fresh wave of pain. She wondered if there was a medic nearby, or whether she would die in a heap at... wherever she was going. She was too tired to think. It was much easier to let unconsciousness envelop her again.

Wait, are you also be carried by someone else? Because we are carrying a corpse.

Cacooo Moreau will return, this time with gun. In fact, he carries two guns to compensate for the acid-inflicted leg injury that never fully healed. One gun is loaded with bullets to fight off the Forsaken, while the other is modified to shoot a steady stream of acid, for use against the more standard chalklings. Being the same model, the only visual difference between the two guns is that the one that still fires bullets has acid damage evident on its barrel. CaCooo worries that if he isn't careful, the acid-firing gun will show similar signs of acid damage. 

13 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Wait, are you also be carried by someone else? Because we are carrying a corpse.

13 hours ago, Mailliw772 said:

Apparently it's secretly alive or something.

You never specified that the body was dead.

Umm, there is a watchman that dies in the write up.  I think the intent was that we were carrying the watchman but...

The body the three of them were carrying coughed. Loren jumped in shock, barely catching himself before he threw the others off balance and caused the body to fall again.

"Who are you?" Loren demanded, "and what did you do to the dead watchman?!"

14 hours ago, Mailliw772 said:

Apparently it's secretly alive or something.

You never specified that the body was dead.

I literally did in my first post. Anyway.

17 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

The body the three of them were carrying coughed. Loren jumped in shock, barely catching himself before he threw the others off balance and caused the body to fall again.

"Who are you?" Loren demanded, "and what did you do to the dead watchman?!"

Joel screamed as he dropped the body of the apparently living person. He checked again, amd yeah, the person was somehow alive, and no longer had a snapped neck. He squinted hard at the coughing face. Was it the same person? Curse his inability to remember faces or names. "Yeah, what Lenny said." Lenny was their name right? L something. Chances were they wouldn't notice anyway, too distracted by the zombie.