Mid-Range Game 34: Death by Lantern Light

Sart

"You can't be serious." Caccoo Moreau protested. "I killed Logmul. The first Forgotten, remember?" The town just stared at him. At the end of the day, he was their best option. "Seriously? What happened to us? How did this all go wrong? Fine, if you have to kill me, kill me. There's only one left. Just please, for all that is good and holy, don't let it win." Caccoo's death was brief, but no white eyes greeted the camp. There were only three of them left. It would end soon enough.

Vote Count:
Devotary of Spontaneity (3): Elandera, Steeldancer, Snipexe
Snipexe (1): Devotary of Spontaneity

Devotary of Spontaneity was lynched. They were a Soldier
Two villagers have been lynched in a row. More items have been added to the camp supply.

Camp Supply:

Hide contents

6 Pieces of Chalk
3 Buckets of Acid
5 Bribes
5 Spring-Powered Crabs
4 Lanterns

Player List:

Hide contents
  1. Elandera: Tahree Fields
  2. Furamirionind: Loren Menza Soldier
  3. A Joe in the Bush: Joel Tawson Thief
  4. Cadmium Compounder: Sonofa Gun Forgotten
  5. Mailliw772 (Logmul): Lumgol Forgotten
  6. xinoehp512: Rogiv Soldier
  7. xxGaea: Iria Byrd Soldier
  8. STINK: Ol' Huld Soldier
  9. Kidpen: Snapizar Soldier
  10. Devotary of Spontaneity: Caccoo Moreau Soldier
  11. Arraenae: Kally Soldier
  12. Steeldancer: Steel Kid the Science Squid
  13. Snipexe: Snip

"You're getting in the way." snarled Tahree Fields. Snip tried to fend her off, but to no avail. With one deft motion, she snapped his neck, a grimace on her face. The she turned to face Steel Kid the Science Squid. The squid was gone. "WHERE ARE YOU!" she screamed in a voice not befitting her bookish demeanor. Suddenly, acid splashed her face, and her eyes glowed white. "I'VE WORKED TOO HARD TO LOSE TO YOU!" She desperately attacked the Squid, trying to kill her last foe. A stray tentacle managed to grab her by the leg, and flung her into the air. "NO!" she screamed, before the squid slammed her into the ground, once, twice, three times. Tahree Fields, the last Forgotten, had finally perished. The Squid wasn't sure what to do. It was stranded on land, with no one to feed it. It looked toward the Tower of Nebrask. It had liked smashing the Forgotten into bits. It started crawling towards the tower. It was just one more thing to smash.

Vote Count:
Snipexe (1): Steeldancer
Elandera (1): Snipexe

The Soldiers have just barely won. Congrats to Steeldancer to being the only survivor. In case you're wondering what happened, Elandera won a tie lynch against Snipexe. However, Steeldancer used acid on her, so her kill did not go through. The lynch was tied for the next hypothetical cycle, as both players had bribes. Elandera lost that coinflip, and so Steeldancer won.

Player List:

Hide contents
  1. Elandera: Tahree Fields Forgotten
  2. Furamirionind: Loren Menza Soldier
  3. A Joe in the Bush: Joel Tawson Thief
  4. Cadmium Compounder: Sonofa Gun Forgotten
  5. Mailliw772 (Logmul): Lumgol Forgotten
  6. xinoehp512: Rogiv Soldier
  7. xxGaea: Iria Byrd Soldier
  8. STINK: Ol' Huld Soldier
  9. Kidpen: Snapizar Soldier
  10. Devotary of Spontaneity: Caccoo Moreau Soldier
  11. Arraenae: Kally Soldier
  12. Steeldancer: Steel Kid the Science Squid Soldier
  13. Snipexe: Snip  Soldier

Ugh! Soo close!! I can't believe it came down to a coin toss.

Congratulations Steel (and the rest of the Soldiers)! I was really hoping you'd use acid on Snipexe, but figured you'd go with the contingency option. RNG was just not with us this game.

To @Lumgol and @Cadmium Compounder, I'm sorry you both died so early. Especially CadCom for bussing you so early. 

This was such a fun game. Thanks @Sart for GMing!

@Elandera, I'm honestly amazed at how far you've managed to survive and be trusted for so long. You really deserved to win there (although it's still great that you almost did). 

As for dying so early, that was honestly on me. I didn't realize that one post would generate so much suspicion on myself. However I feel like since you guys decided to bus/distance and stuff, that gained a lot more trust for Elandera in the long term, which paid off for me at least (I can't speak for CadCom).

So, it was really fun watching this game fold out from an elim perspective. Even if I did have rather bad luck that one time. :P Well played everyone, and thank you @Sart for GMing!

Edited by Lumgol
@ing Sart didn't work until now

Ninja Alv, merging threads while I was still typing in the LG. :P 

Congrats to Steel for taking the only action that allowed the Soldiers to win. And obviously congrats to Elandera for going so far without supporting team members. It was a lot of fun watching the crowd thin around her, and serves as a good reminder that bussing as a strategy to gain trust is still alive and well. Finally, poor Joe. So close to winning as a thief. Ah well. I look forward to Sart’s promised rerun of this game. Maybe I’ll have the time to fully join that one :) 

Holy crap Elandera, I can't believe that contingency plan actually had to work. You had me entirely fooled. Not so fooled that I wasn't careful, but still fooled. I had a brief moment this afternoon where I wondered if Elandera was evil, then said "nah."
I was super inactive this game and yet somehow, I was the only survivor. Kids, don't try this at home. It is not a recommended strategy. Hilarious, but not recommended. 

There were a few points where I thought for sure I'd be discovered. Especially when I lied about using acid on CadCom. You should see my notes in the elim doc when that happened. My only saving grace was Sart's pre-determined mechanic. I still have no idea how none of you decided that was suspicious enough. 

Elandera survives two 50-50% chances, but in the end the almighty Gods of Luck and Chance claim the life of the third Forgotten and gives the Soldiers their second win that required lucky tiebreakers. I really should have known that Elandera was evil after the acid claim, which would have come up far earlier had it been true. At least Steeldancer was able to use my bribe to good effect.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:26 PM, Elandera said:

@Sart, can we get links to the docs?

Sure thing.

The Forgotten Doc

The Dead Doc

The Master Spreadsheet

On 4/18/2019 at 8:42 PM, Fifth Scholar said:

Ah well. I look forward to Sart’s promised rerun of this game. Maybe I’ll have the time to fully join that one :) 

I guess that's an open secret now. It's not really a rerun, and more of a re-imagining of the game. It's taking the mechanics from all of my previous Rithmatist games, and fusing them together into one final Long Game. That will probably be Long Game 56, so look forward to it.

And now my thoughts on the game.

Wow was this close! The Forgotten had a string of bad luck in the first two cycles, but Elandera was nearly able to pull of an incredible comeback. Joe nearly won as the Thief, but revealing his role to everyone probably wasn't the smartest strategy. If he had stayed quiet, he probably would have taken the victory. I only have one area I wasn't satisfied with. The Item Supply got way too bloated near the end of the game. It prevented Elandera from killing, which extended the length of the game significantly, and made her life that much harder. That mostly happened because Villagers forgot to take actions, and then the two people with the highest item counts died the same turn. I'll have to carefully balance that part of the game in the future. Thankfully, taking items will be a Day action, so it should alleviate some of the problems.

I have a couple more thoughts after reading through the dead doc.

Regarding the end of Cycle 3 and the question of if Sart was influential in my decision to switch the kill: I may have ended up there anyway, but my hesitation in killing Stink was in how low the activity was of the village overall. I figured it might be harder to stay hidden as the final eliminator in a low-activity situation. But I also had to consider with lower activity I would be able to manipulate voting more effectively. Overall, I was so used to being a villager, willing to sacrifice myself if it meant a village win, that I was hesitant to do what needed to be done to win as an elim. All it was for me was a reminder that I wasn't village anymore.

With the suggested changes to make this an LG, I think that should fix the action problems. But if it's ever run as an MR again, I was considering the suggestion to make the elim kill not count as an action with the stipulation of only one elim left. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it would have definitely made it easier for me to blend in and give realistic answers. On the other, that might end up giving the final elim too much power. If that had been allowed, I would have been able to grab lots of acid, and roleblock anyone who I tried to kill, making sure they didn't have chalk protection. I think the more plausible answer would be to make grabbing an item the one that doesn't count as an action. That could work for everyone as well, helping with the problem of too many items in the supply list.

@A Joe in the Bush, I really panicked when you kept posting that I seemed suspicious but you couldn't find why. I thought for sure you'd vote on me for gut feeling alone. Aside from you being thief, I knew you'd be one of the people I needed to kill early. I was also kind of surprised no one picked up the cycle I killed you that I was really wanting to push for the thief lynch.

@Devotary of Spontaneity, I did care if CadCom lived. I really, really hoped he would. However, after discussing some things with CadCom earlier and realizing village!me would definitely find him suspicious enough to vote on, I couldn't see another way to avoid suspicion and people asking why I didn't switch, since my vote on Kidpen was placed so early. Also, as village, I rarely keep my vote on a poke-vote for inactivity if there's someone with more reason to lynch. In hindsight, I don't think I'd do the same thing, but I am content with the trust it gained me. I still feel terrible about bussing (especially after your comments in thread that bussing is a mean thing to do so early). My only hope is that he could at least get some satisfaction out of what his death allowed me to do and how close it got us to getting a win.

This was also my first real, long-term elim experience. Every other time I've died within two cycles (mostly just one). I learned a ton about strategy and planning, as well as still trying to appear village in my analysis. I just wish I'd had a teammate or two to help longer :P

Well done Elandera. To be honest, I was completely fine with Elandera killing me off. Too bad we didnt have the lucky dice role at the end of the game. 

I also want to congratulate the village team. It was extremely lucky to have caught two of us so quickly, we had to adapt by making the third of us seem very village to have any chance at all.

• 2 months later...

With about four months having elapsed since its conclusion, it’s far past time to wrap this game up. A huge thank you belongs to Sart for another excellent item Rithmatist game, his specialty, and the new twists he put into both the story and mechanics enhanced an already well-built structure. Finally, congratulations to the village for a hard-fought win, though both losing factions certainly should be commended for their efforts; Joe as the thief, who came very close to achieving his goal before he was killed, and the Forgotten, who made the most of a bad start and put Elandera into a position in which she would have won were it not for a bad coinflip. All around, an excellent game. 

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Orlok, Alvron or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Elbereth, Amanuensis, Aonar Faileas, A Joe in the Bush, or Stink) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: