Mid-Range Game 34: Death by Lantern Light

Sart

I've made it! Wow, being gone for a couple of days, and coming back to this game, and missing a couple of ends of turns in the other game leaves me very lost and confused. I've spent a few minutes on doing a quick analysis. 

ITEMS

Spoiler

Chalk: The tool of any Rithmatist. Use it to protect a target player. This can target yourself.

Chalk seems like a nice tool for anyone, since it's usually in the best interest of just about everyone to survive. 

Acid: No one likes being sprayed with this low grade acid. Use it to make a target player lose their action. In addition, this removes any protection from Chalk targeting the player this cycle.

This seems mostly like an elim tool to stop villagers from scanning, or protecting. But if we happen to have a decent suspicion on someone, this could be a good way to stop them from using their action.(If we don't end up lynching that person that cycle)

Bribe: Life is hard, so many Rithmatists look for illicit ways to relax. Use it to nullify a player's vote.

I feel like nullifying a votes is either going to be used in the interest of self-preservation or by elims to sway the lynch, and either make someone look suspicious, or save one of their own. But usually causing disruptions in the lynch is an Elim strategy in my opinion. 

Spring-powered Crab: This marvel of technology comes with a camera attached. Use it to secretly observe a player's action.

Scanning actions seem to be the best type of action for the village this game. We can use those to see if people are actually being truthful to their claims in thread, and also look for suspicious actions that people do if they don't claim. 

Lantern: This illuminates faces in the dark. When you use this item, choose an item type. You will learn the identity of all players who attempted to take that type of item from the supply.

This could be useful on any of these items, but merely picking up an item doesn't necessarily make that person aligned with one faction or the other. If someone picks up bribe, for example, it could be that they are an eliminator (based off my reasoning) but it could also be that they just want to have a defense in case they are lynched later. Specifically, if we use this on the Gun, it will only really help us if one person tried to get the gun. 

Gun: It's a gun, what do you expect? Use it to kill a player. If more than one person tries to grab the gun, all but one of them will die, and no one gets the gun, since it gets fired during the struggle.

This just wreaks of ikyk to me. Obviously the elims would want as many kill actions as possible, but at the same time, it's unlikely that they would try to go for it, because if anyone else also goes for it, they won't get it at all, and risk at least a 50% chance of death. 
At the same time, it allows for vig kills, or a village kill in general, which could be very helpful if we aren't hitting the elims.

TL:dr? 

Basically, I think that
Chalk seems like a tool useful to anyone
Acid seems like a tool that is more useful to elims, but still of some use to village
Bribe is also a tool that would be more useful to elims, but still of some use to village
Spring powered crab would be more useful to villagers. This is opposite what Steel suggested, so I'll have to review the last game to see if I end up changing my opinion about the crab. 
Lantern would be more useful to villagers.
Gun is IKYK because it is equally useful and dangerous to both village and elims. 
-----
I would expect 3 eliminators in this game, plus the thief.

If it were just eliminators and villagers, I would be all for claiming the items we go for all the time, as that would allow us to be able to better keep track of where everything is, but since we have a thief, it would also allow the thief to know where everything is, which makes it more likely that they will be able to more easily get to their 4 unique items. Though with only 6 items, It may be more difficult, since only one person will have an option for a gun and a crab for the time being. Which means they might just try for the other 4. I'm just walking through all the ikyks in my head, so I'm going to step away from this for a minute and hopefully come back later. 
---
Players who haven't posted so far: @xinoehp512 and @Snipexe (for some reason my tag function stopped working)

Two months, one week, and three days in, Kally regretted enlisting. Every day, she looked out among the desolate wilds of Nebrask, watching for a single hint of white that could be a wild chalking. Every day, she traced over lines, circles, and more lines. It always left a white stain on her fingerprints, and after the fifth day, she'd stopped bothering to wash it off. For the past two months, one week, and two days, she'd been dreaming of going on the one week leave granted to soldiers every three months. 

But now, she had to deal with this. She would be excited by this break in the tedium, if not for how terrifying it was. Kally paced back and forth in camp, trying to think of what to do next.

Xino, are you here?

hey all, I've been offered a new position at my work, and for the next couple weeks, I will be adjusting to the new schedule under different management, so my posting may become a bit sporadic. I'll still do what I can, and I'll let you know when I've figured out more.

Anyway, I'll try tagging @Snipexe and placing a poke vote on him as well Snipexe. How are you doing?

Edit: I'm thinking of trying to grab the crab tonight. I'm not 100% sure, what are all of your thoughts?

Edited by Cadmium Compounder

10 minutes ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

hey all, I've been offered a new position at my work, and for the next couple weeks, I will be adjusting to the new schedule under different management, so my posting may become a bit sporadic. I'll still do what I can, and I'll let you know when I've figured out more.

Anyway, I'll try tagging @Snipexe and placing a poke vote on him as well Snipexe. How are you doing?

Edit: I'm thinking of trying to grab the crab tonight. I'm not 100% sure, what are all of your thoughts?

Apologies, on mobile rn. No thoughts at the moment, though I’m considering just going for the gun for the heck of it.

4 hours ago, Arraenae said:

Two months, one week, and three days in, Kally regretted enlisting. Every day, she looked out among the desolate wilds of Nebrask, watching for a single hint of white that could be a wild chalking. Every day, she traced over lines, circles, and more lines. It always left a white stain on her fingerprints, and after the fifth day, she'd stopped bothering to wash it off. For the past two months, one week, and two days, she'd been dreaming of going on the one week leave granted to soldiers every three months. 

But now, she had to deal with this. She would be excited by this break in the tedium, if not for how terrifying it was. Kally paced back and forth in camp, trying to think of what to do next.

Xino, are you here?

Yup, here. Likely not going to be the most active, but here.

-----

Rogiv started to draw a box on the ground. Four lines of forbiddance, drawn in red chalk. Many people scoffed at his use of colored chalk, but he didn't care. Every battle he'd used the chalk in, he'd succeeded. He didn't care what others thought.

He'd drawn one of the new lines multiple times in the space surrounding the box. Each one sucked in some of the sound that reached it. With a combination of enough...

He smiled, and stepped into the box, closing off the final side. At last, peace.

Edited by xinoehp512

On 4/5/2019 at 1:03 AM, Elandera said:

While this could theoretically help us catch eliminators forced to lie, if everyone is forced to claim then no one will be able to use items without looking like an eliminator. Such as if someone starts with a crab, they would either be forced to lie, or to be open about their plan to use an item. That, in turn, would give the elims a look at who to potentially roleblock if they have acid, and a thief a look at who to steal from.

Also, when it comes to claiming things like getting the chalk, it removes targets for the elims, narrowing down who to target with their kill so it has a higher probability of succeeding, or things like lanterns/crabs, to keep them from being used and then revealed. 

In subsequent cycles, when there are much fewer items in the camp supply, most people won't be taking items. While there will be items added to the supply if we have two mislynches in a row, most players will be using the items they already have. This also means that many people will be saving their items such as chalk and acid, as there's a good chance they'll never get another one.

15 hours ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

If it were just eliminators and villagers, I would be all for claiming the items we go for all the time, as that would allow us to be able to better keep track of where everything is, but since we have a thief, it would also allow the thief to know where everything is, which makes it more likely that they will be able to more easily get to their 4 unique items.

Ah, that is indeed true, and a valid reason to be hesitant of the item claiming plan. As I recall from MR27, thieving goes after acid but before any other item usage, so the thief could steal most items before the target gets a chance to use them. I have no reason to assume this isn't the case for this game as well. The gun is indeed the most difficult item for a thief to get a hold of, so they'll probably be going for four of the other five. There's only one crab for now, and acid is more difficult to steal, so the thief might go for one of those. On the other hand, four cycles(unless the thief started with an item) is a long time in a game with only thirteen players, so the thief definitely doesn't have an assured win even with knowledge of where items are.

Ol' Huld was getting quite tired of the same question. 'Gun this' or 'Gun that'. 

All o' em are stupid questions, when the answer is always 'Gun Huld', but not in the shoot Huld kinda way, more in the Gun is owned by Huld kinda way, ya hear?

We're only a few hours from the end of the cycle. I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute in that time, so here are a few basic thoughts. 

I'm still hesitant to claim what items we plan to take. Like Devotary and CadCom said, it would reveal a lot to not only the elims, but the thief. I can see where people are coming from with how the last version of this game played out, but I think there are some mechanical differences that make this situation much different. Namely, that it isn't announced who got what. If it were, there wouldn't be a problem with claiming.

Since that's been all we've really discussed, I don't have any suspicions. It seems pretty NAI, since it's more of a playstyle difference to me.

For now, I'll go for the crusade vote. Xino.

19 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Yup, here. Likely not going to be the most active, but here.

-----

Rogiv started to draw a box on the ground. Four lines of forbiddance, drawn in red chalk. Many people scoffed at his use of colored chalk, but he didn't care. Every battle he'd used the chalk in, he'd succeeded. He didn't care what others thought.

He'd drawn one of the new lines multiple times in the space surrounding the box. Each one sucked in some of the sound that reached it. With a combination of enough...

He smiled, and stepped into the box, closing off the final side. At last, peace.

16 minutes ago, Elandera said:

For now, I'll go for the crusade vote. Xino.

Huld was just a tad confused, who started a crusade here? And secondly, Rogiv didn't seem to have done anything wrong. In fact, it seemed like they had the right idea if anything.

"Elandera, I think you should abstain for this here crusade."

'Course, Huld now had to wonder why he just randomly said Elandera, where did that come from?

Joel scowled as he listened to the conversation. He wasn't really sure what to do, since so many people had pointed out flaws in his plans. He should probably thing them through better but now people were claiming that Rogiv and Snip were saboteurs? While he couldn't really remember seeing them around that much, (not that he could remember seeing much of anyone) that didn't make them saboteurs. Would they come for him next, since he didn't talk much or know any of them that well? Besides, wouldn't any saboteurs try to cozy up to everyone and talk a lot? It didn't sit right with him.

Actually, that Logmul of Sdrawkcab had seemed like he wanted to tell people what to do in secret. That reeked of manipulation. Admittedly, a good soldier might well do the same thing, but getting an actual soldier to waste their only crab was a dangerous thought.

"Hey folks, has Logmul reached out to any of you? I'm not sure I trust them."

Mailliw772 or Lumgol

Edited by A Joe in the Bush
Lumgol changed her name from Mailliw772

27 minutes ago, STINK said:

Huld was just a tad confused, who started a crusade here? And secondly, Rogiv didn't seem to have done anything wrong. In fact, it seemed like they had the right idea if anything.

"Elandera, I think you should abstain for this here crusade."

'Course, Huld now had to wonder why he just randomly said Elandera, where did that come from?

Xino 

Sorry, I completely missed his post. I was skimming the thread just as I woke up. I accidentally mixed it with Snipexe's post in my brain. 

Xino(2): Rae, Lum
Lum(2): Joe, Devotary
Snip(1): CadCom
Elandera(1): Stink

Here we are at the end of the cycle. I do agree with Joe that Lumgol's offering to 'help' CadCom determine the crab's target is relatively suspicious, so that's where I'm going to place my vote. Obviously, this means Xino will die in the tiebreak and be evil.

The camp was mostly quiet, huddled together for warmth. Kally muttered, "Where'd Rogiv get off too." Rogiv, who had just arrived at the campfire, glared at her. Logmul saw this as an opportunity to wreak chaos. "Yeah, Rogiv is clearly suspicious! He was the last one to show up, so that makes him the culprit!" Caccoo Moreau knew something was wrong. Logmul had never been that bloodthirsty before. Thinking quickly, he sprayed Logmul using his trusty acid gun. Logmul spluttered, and shouted, "Taht saw kceh eht tahw?" Joel sprung into action, and stabbed the Forgotten. A flash of white light emitted from Logmul's eyes, and then he fell dead to the floor. The other soldiers, couldn't believe what had happened. One of their own had been possessed? Joel grimaced. "If there's one of them, there's bound to be more. Quick, search his tent for clues." Unfortunately, they found nothing in Logmul's tent, save for the lifeless body of Loren Menza and a Crab he had been tinkering on.

Vote Count:
Xinoehp (2): Arraenae, Lumgol
Lumgol(2): A Joe in the Bush, Devotary of Spontaneity
Snipexe(1): Cadmium Compounder
Elandera(1): Stink

Lumgol (Mailliw773) has died. They were a Forgotten.
Furamirionind has died. They were a Soldier.

Camp Supply:

Spoiler

2 Pieces of Chalk
4 Bribes
2 Spring-Powered Crabs
3 Lanterns

Player List:

Hide contents
  1. @Elandera - Tahree Fields
  2. Furamirionind - Loren Menza Soldier
  3. @A Joe in the Bush - Joel Tawson
  4. @Cadmium Compounder - Sonofa Gun
  5. Mailliw772 (Logmul) - Lumgol Forgotten
  6. @xinoehp512 - Rogiv
  7. @xxGaea - Iria Byrd
  8. @STINK - RP Character TBD
  9. @Kidpen - Snapizar
  10. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Caccoo Moreau
  11. @Arraenae - Kally
  12. @NotASteelClone - Steel Kid the Science Squid
  13. @Snipexe - Snip
Edited by Sart
Still miscounted chalk

"Aha! Ah knew that Logmul was up to no good! He was hiding a crab from the rest of us! He must have been the one who ah saw entering the tent! Thanks Caccoo for helping me nab him before he could get up to no good." Joel picked up the Crab, and walked it to the tent, where he put it down next to the other one. Then he frowned. Hadn't Sonofa been planning to keep this crab safe? Sure he hadn't settled on it, but it seemed like he wanted it. 

"Hey, Sonofa Gun, did you try to grab a Crab? And what did Logmul try to talk to you about?"

One Forgotten dead. Was Lumgol actually going for the chalk? Such a thing would only have been helpful to block a gun kill. If she did try for chalk, that further indicates that the gun did not end up with the Forgotten

So one piece of chalk, two buckets of acid, one lantern, and one gun were taken. Of those, all were claimed except for the second bucket of acid, and the double gun claim did not lead to any accidents.That suggests that a lot of people either forgot to submit actions or used items they already possessed.

1 minute ago, Snipexe said:

I just decided not to grab the gun, as it seemed wise to not risk the potential for harm.

I think I’ll try to pick up a lantern this cycle.

"And a good thing you didn't Snip, would have been terrible to see it go off. Did ya grab anything else though?"

Bah, I forgot this game existed >.> 

I didn't submit an action last turn. Going to try to take a lantern this turn.

Based off of last cycle, Xino and Devotary are probably village. Lum voted on Xino with poor reasoning 4 hours before rollover, probably to save herself. Devotary put a vote on Lum right before rollover. Seems pretty village.

I'd also like to point out this post, here:

It seems odd that Lum would announce that she'd PM Cadcom about this, because she could just do so quietly. Not quite sure what to think of this. My initial thought is distancing, to try to make it seem like scary, evil Lum was manipulating poor, village Cadcom.