Mid-Range Game 34: Death by Lantern Light

Sart

3 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

I literally did in my first post. Anyway.

Whoops, didn't catch that XD

-------------------------------------

"Oh, the dead- who?" Logmul of Sdrawkcab's memory felt like a wall of fog.

And then she suddenly fell to the ground. OUCH. Logmul's head throbbed.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Oh, there might have been someone next to me when I... got too tired and..." What had happened then?

"Listen, I'm not from here, I just want to get out, but I have no idea where I'm going or what this place is. I don't know this dead watchman of yours, I must have collapsed onto the ground next to him or something. But who are you?"

Iria offered a hand to the not-so-dead body to help her up, cocking an eyebrow at her companions. "Well, hasn't this taken an interesting turn?" She gives a slight half smile to the body, "Don't suppose you're a zombie, are ya?"

The camp groggily got to their feet, while the snowstorm started to intensify. Boots trampled the frozen grass, as the soldiers attempted to understand their situation. One of their own had been murdered. Logmul had passed out after seeing the body, and the early risers were helping her to her feet. The snow had thankfully put out the barracks fire, but the damage was done. Acid had leaked onto most of the camp’s chalk supply, leaving them with pitiful resources. The platoon considered marching back to headquarters, but the storm put a damper on that plan. Already snow was beginning to accumulate on the ground. They huddled together trying to keep warm. No one could deny that there was a murderer among them, and suspicions began to run rampant. It wouldn’t be long before someone died next.

Camp Supply:

Spoiler

3 Pieces of Chalk
2 Buckets of Acid
4 Bribes
1 Spring-Powered Crab
4 Lanterns
1 Gun

Welcome to the game. Please note that I have changed the Thief's win condition to obtaining four unique items to better accommodate for the amount of players. This cycle will end on Saturday April 6th, at 7:00 PM Eastern Time. Here's a timer

Player List:

Hide contents
  1. @Elandera - Tahree Fields
  2. @Furamirionind - Loren Menza
  3. @A Joe in the Bush - Joel Tawson
  4. @Cadmium Compounder - Sonofa Gun
  5. @Mailliw772 - Logmul of Sdrawkcab
  6. @xinoehp512 - Rogiv
  7. @xxGaea - Iria Byrd
  8. @STINK - RP Character TBD
  9. @Kidpen - Snapizar
  10. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Caccoo Moreau
  11. @Arraenae - Kally
  12. @NotASteelClone - Steel Kid the Science Squid
  13. @Snipexe - Snip

Edited by Seventh Saint

Tahrie Fields clutched a worn book in her hands as she stared at the body. Nebrask had proven to be a harsh and terrifying place, fraught with dangers Tahrie didn't feel ready to face. Her book was her only solace.

The book was full of notes and diagrams she'd compiled from years worth of studying at Armedius. Unfortunately, studying wasn't enough when it came to practical application of principles. Not when life was the cost of a failed drawing, not just a bad grade.

Oh, how she longed to be back among the comforting walls of the library, stacked high with books and all the knowledge she could wish to gain.

---

Yay! Another Rithmatist game.

First, a few thoughts about the camp supply. People should be cautious about trying to grab the gun. We can't really afford a lot of extra deaths with such a small player count. The lantern will be super useful, since there are definitely items on there that the elims would be more interested in than others. I think bribes, and the acid would be among the top, and possibly the gun. They may also try to grab for some items just to keep them out of village hands, like the crab.

PMs will be useful in coordinating which items to grab.

Joel quietly got up off the log bench, and meandered into the darkness beyond the fire's light. Once he was reasonably far away, where he couldn't  hear their chatter over the crackling of the fire, he relieved himself. As he headed back to the fire, he saw someone dashing out of the Supply Tent. The Quarter master maybe? He poked his head in through the entrance and scowled at the acid damage. Not much stuff left, but more supplies than people at least, so if they were fairly distributed, everyone should get something. But who was already grabbing stuff?

He headed back to the Fire, where the rest of their band was sitting. No one seemed to be missing, but then again, for the life of him he couldn't name everyone around the fire. The armored lass was there, as was Logmund? Logmund sounded right. It was probably that. But a bunch of the others were mysteries to him. He should probably establish his wisdom and respectability, in order to keep the camp in order.

"Oye! Which one of you just grabbed something from the Supply tent? Ah saw you run out, so don't claim you weren't in there." He scowled at the surprised soldiers, and looked from face to face, searching for guilt. "None of you want to fess up? Well then, Ah don't have the a-thor-e-tay to boss you around, but Ah do think we should divide up the supplies for safe keeping. Ah have a list of what we have left, so we should each Figure out what we are grabbing, and claim it publicly. That way we all get something, and we can figure out who is going to lie about what they are getting. For safe keeping, I am going to grab the Gun. You all know I'm a horrible shot, so I'm not going to use the thing." That was of course a lie, he wasn't going to grab the gun. He just didn't want anyone else to try to grab it, since it would probably leave a lot of them dead. He was actually going to grab a bucket of Acid.

"Seriously, no one else grab the gun. At all."

On 3/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, Sart said:
  • Chalk: The tool of any Rithmatist. Use it to protect a target player. This can target yourself.
  • Acid: No one likes being sprayed with this low grade acid. Use it to make a target player lose their action. In addition, this removes any protection from Chalk targeting the player this cycle.
  • Bribe: Life is hard, so many Rithmatists look for illicit ways to relax. Use it to nullify a player's vote.
  • Spring-powered Crab: This marvel of technology comes with a camera attached. Use it to secretly observe a player's action.
  • Lantern: This illuminates faces in the dark. When you use this item, choose an item type. You will learn the identity of all players who attempted to take that type of item from the supply.
  • Gun: It's a gun, what do you expect? Use it to kill a player. If more than one person tries to grab the gun, all but one of them will die, and no one gets the gun, since it gets fired during the struggle.

50 minutes ago, Mailliw772 said:

I think I'm going to grab some Chalk.

1 minute ago, NotASteelClone said:

I think I'm going to grab the shiny new item, the lantern. 

For your information, you have to submit grabbing items as an action in your role PM.

3 minutes ago, Sart said:

For your information, you have to submit grabbing items as an action in your role PM.

I got this, I was just announcing my plans in thread. Thanks for clarifying anyway.

Hello. Can't say much today because I have a pile of homework I should be doing, but I can definitely post more tomorrow.

I'm not sure how much I like Joe's plan of announcing what items we're taking are. That basically tells the elims what our plans are. More thoughts on this to come tomorrow so I don't procrastinate any further today.

From what I remember from the last game, it's also a huge hindrance to the elims though. There are particular items they will want to get their hands on, and if we all claim, and if there are discrepancies, that's a large part of knowing when to accuse someone. I think... I was an eliminator last time? I remember grabbing the crab and acid a lot as an elim, if I'm remembering correctly. 

A soldier murdered, and the acid spilled into the chalk supply. Surely the chalklings couldn't have done this. The corpse lacked the bite and claw marks characteristic of a chalkling attack, and the creatures were nowhere near intelligent enough to spill the acid with such precision. Perhaps it was just a saboteur, or a desperate deserter, Cacooo thought hopefully as he travelled to his bunk. They might already be gone, the threat nullified. That didn't stop him from grabbing his gun from underneath his cot, the gun that shot real bullets. 

39 minutes ago, NotASteelClone said:

From what I remember from the last game, it's also a huge hindrance to the elims though. There are particular items they will want to get their hands on, and if we all claim, and if there are discrepancies, that's a large part of knowing when to accuse someone.

It did somewhat help last game, as with only one action being available per cycle, the elim submitting the kill couldn't take any items(We still managed to kill our way through most of our six suspects before finding the one elim, though.) In this version of the game, it will be even more difficult to narrow down the killer since we don't get a list of who took what, relying on the lanterns to serve that purpose. The plan might still be plausible, especially for cycle 1. We will learn which items have been taken, which should be 12 out of the 15, 11 if the thief decides to target a random player in the hopes they started with an item. If three players claim to be going for chalk but there's still a chalk left over tomorrow, then we know that one of the three submitted the kill, lied about their action, forgot to submit an action, or was roleblocked by acid. While this by itself is not solid grounds for a lynch, it is information to keep in mind to be cross-referenced with other suspicions. In later cycles with more acid around, the possibility of being roleblocked is higher, but with lanterns floating around we would be able to tell which claimant(s) failed to receive their item.

I will, for now, claim to be taking the second chalk.

1 hour ago, NotASteelClone said:

From what I remember from the last game, it's also a huge hindrance to the elims though. There are particular items they will want to get their hands on, and if we all claim, and if there are discrepancies, that's a large part of knowing when to accuse someone. I think... I was an eliminator last time? I remember grabbing the crab and acid a lot as an elim, if I'm remembering correctly. 

While this could theoretically help us catch eliminators forced to lie, if everyone is forced to claim then no one will be able to use items without looking like an eliminator. Such as if someone starts with a crab, they would either be forced to lie, or to be open about their plan to use an item. That, in turn, would give the elims a look at who to potentially roleblock if they have acid, and a thief a look at who to steal from.

Also, when it comes to claiming things like getting the chalk, it removes targets for the elims, narrowing down who to target with their kill so it has a higher probability of succeeding, or things like lanterns/crabs, to keep them from being used and then revealed. 

EDIT: That's part of why I think, with open PMs, our best bet would be to get some contacts where you can claim to in private, helping coordinate things like getting the gun without killing too many people, and keeping the elims in the dark as much as possible.

Edited by Elandera

Sorry, I was going to be way more active around the original start time.  As it is, I will be at PNW championships for about 12-13 hours a day, then homework... I also am running a low grade fever so... lovely.

Anyway, really busy.  Will try to reread the rules and post something coherent when I wake up.  Unfortunately being sick though, I really do need sleep.

Iria Byrd looked up as Joel rambled some non-sense or other, cocking an eyebrow in bemusement as she watches the strange man. She was unsure what to think of the whole situation in camp--but definitely found it to be unsettling. She shakes her head, taking a drink as she listens to Joel go on about them saying what they planned to take from the supply cabinet. She could see how that would work, and might be a good idea to get behind--in the beginning, at the very least. As time went on, and if more murders happened--paranoia among the soldiers would only grow worse and worse. 

Mm, I am not going to be able to be super active for the next few days, since the term started on Monday and my Cosmology class is already killing me.

Ol' Huld knew that some things just gotta be done. Take for example this whole camp supply shenanigans thing, now why couldn't they just hand items out properly rather than whatever ya call this? Is there no kinda administration or whatcha call it 'round here? Ah well, guess that just means Ol' Huld can get straight to it.

Always fancied having a gun, Huld has. Looks right intimidating and uh, yeah. Huld knows it can do other things. 

---------

Stink here for hopefully the only time, enjoy playing with Huld, he's a bit weird.