Awakened Atium

NiceDoughnut991

Question

Here are some questions I have regarding awakening and atium: 

1. If you were to make a sword out of atium, could you awaken it, like Nightblood and possibly Vivenna's Blade?
  2. If so, could it give the user glimpses of the future like burning atium, or the Monado from Xenoblade? 
  3. If an atium blade were to be awakened, would it have it's own personality, or one identical to Ruin's?
  4. When an object is awakened, it needs a command, right? What would happen for this hypothetical awakened atium blade if the command given to it was all five ideals of one of the orders of knights radiant, specifically windrunners?
  5. If an atium blade can't be awakened, how effective of a weapon would it be? 
  6. This isn't related, but if a mistborn were to somehow consume some of Honor's metal that shardblades and shardplate are made of, would it have any allomantic use, or react like a nonallomantic metal?

12 answers to this question

You'd have a fun time trying to Awaken atium (a metal made up entirely of Investiture already) at all. It'd be nigh on impossible, with how much Investiture resists tampering via other Investiture.

#6 - You'd need a way to hack Connection to Honor to make it Allomantically viable.

1. Numerous WoBs (quotes from Sanderson) state that it is possible, but very difficult, to Awaken Invested objects, even ones made of metal, like Hemalugic spikes or Shardplate. So, probably.

2. Probably not. An Allomancer would likely be needed to burn the metal of the sword. And doing so would use up the sword's mass.

3. It would probably have its own personality. Nightblood's soul is (probably) made entirely out of Endowment, but he isn't affected by it.

4. I suppose one could give these commands to the blade, but the sword couldn't surgebind without a bond to a spren, if that is what you're thinking. Perhaps this would make it a good candidate for a bond with an Honorspren? But if it is like Nightblood, absorbing Investiture, it would destroy any spren attempting to bond with it I'm guessing.

5. If it can't be Awakened, it would be as effective as any other blade, perhaps less, because Atium is a soft metal.

6. I'm not completely certain, but it would probably be allomantically inert. It is not a usual metal. Perhaps, though, a mistborn could burn it for some effect. Good question.

1 hour ago, NiceDoughnut991 said:

1. If you were to make a sword out of atium, could you awaken it, like Nightblood and possibly Vivenna's Blade?
  2. If so, could it give the user glimpses of the future like burning atium, or the Monado from Xenoblade? 
  3. If an atium blade were to be awakened, would it have it's own personality, or one identical to Ruin's?
  4. When an object is awakened, it needs a command, right? What would happen for this hypothetical awakened atium blade if the command given to it was all five ideals of one of the orders of knights radiant, specifically windrunners?
  6. This isn't related, but if a mistborn were to somehow consume some of Honor's metal that shardblades and shardplate are made of, would it have any allomantic use, or react like a nonallomantic metal?
31 minutes ago, CosmereScholar said:

1. Numerous WoBs (quotes from Sanderson) state that it is possible, but very difficult, to Awaken Invested objects, even ones made of metal, like Hemalugic spikes or Shardplate. So, probably.

2. Probably not. An Allomancer would likely be needed to burn the metal of the sword. And doing so would use up the sword's mass.

3. It would probably have its own personality. Nightblood's soul is (probably) made entirely out of Endowment, but he isn't affected by it.

4. I suppose one could give these commands to the blade, but the sword couldn't surgebind without a bond to a spren, if that is what you're thinking. Perhaps this would make it a good candidate for a bond with an Honorspren? But if it is like Nightblood, absorbing Investiture, it would destroy any spren attempting to bond with it I'm guessing.

5. If it can't be Awakened, it would be as effective as any other blade, perhaps less, because Atium is a soft metal.

6. I'm not completely certain, but it would probably be allomantically inert. It is not a usual metal. Perhaps, though, a mistborn could burn it for some effect. Good question.

1. It'd be almost impossible, really. In practice, it would be impossible.

2. Agreed.

3. Also agreed :D

4. I think trying to condense all five Ideals into a Command would be as difficult as Awakening it.

5. Yeah not very effective. Atium is soft enough that it's damaged by stomach acids in just a few hours.

6. This has been asked, and nothing would happen because the Mistborn doesn't have the right Connections to burn the metal.

Question 3.

It would definitely have a personality of its own, but I do believe it would be influenced by Ruin. 

After all, I already believe that Nightblood is. 

Walin [PENDING REVIEW]

Does Nightblood contain any of Ruin's Investiture? Like, not atium, but...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, technically; and I'm not wiggling around that, because technically, location in the Cosmere and who belongs to what gets really weird, right? Because Ruin's Investiture is everywhere--but I'm not talking that way. I'm talking the way you actually mean it. 

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Nightblood is not "all Endowment."

I do know Nightblood is not completely of Endowment, but I have to disagree that this is affecting him. Even if Nightblood were completely of Ruin, which I know is not the case, he would not be greatly influenced by this. Each person on Nalthis has a Breath, and probably entire soul, of Endowment, but they appear pretty normal. Take also for example the Unmade, which are splinters of Odium. They are not unduly hateful, or even passionate. Sja-anat does not appear consumed by hatred at all.

I think the command would essentially overwrite whatever the intent of the Investiture once was in any case. Awakened creations can do whatever their creator desires, regardless of Endowment's intent in the Breaths.

3 minutes ago, CosmereScholar said:

I think the command would essentially overwrite whatever the intent of the Investiture once was in any case. Awakened creations can do whatever their creator desires, regardless of Endowment's intent in the Breaths.

The command might overwrite the Investiture, but when the command is in line the Investiture, it'd probably just boost it.

9 minutes ago, CosmereScholar said:

I do know Nightblood is not completely of Endowment, but I have to disagree that this is affecting him. Even if Nightblood were completely of Ruin, which I know is not the case, he would not be greatly influenced by this. Each person on Nalthis has a Breath, and probably entire soul, of Endowment, but they appear pretty normal. Take also for example the Unmade, which are splinters of Odium. They are not unduly hateful, or even passionate. Sja-anat does not appear consumed by hatred at all.

I disagree. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

About how many Breaths do you need to become Invested enough to be influenced by Endowment's intent?

On the small scale, not very many... One could argue that even someone with one is influenced a little bit. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Significantly influenced?

No. But the more you get the more likely that is.

Oathbringer San Diego signing (Nov. 14, 2017)

As far as "splinters of Odium" go, I think we've seen plenty of hate... The one real exception in my mind is Nergaoul, and about that... 

rjl [PENDING REVIEW]

If Red investiture = co-opted by another Shard, what about the Thrill?

Kind of.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

If the Unmade are corrupted beings what they were originally would still have an effect. 

16 hours ago, NiceDoughnut991 said:

16 hours ago, CosmereScholar said:

1. Agreed

2. We don't know, becuase the combination of different investure's do funny stuff. It would be difficult and you would probably have to be specifically looking for it. But it would have to do with how the breaths attach to the atium and how the sword is connected to you I believe. So we most likely won't see it, Like hemulurgy, many things are possible but there are billions of ways to get it wrong and just one to get it right

3. I would like to argue that this is a entirely different case then nightblood (well... not entirely but significantly different) Nightblood was, as far as we know, made from normal metal. The blade being proposed would be made from a god metal, and so I believe that it would, At least a little bit, twist the nature of the blade. My theory would be that it would follow the command perfectly but the actual personality would be more destructive.

4. It would be hard to put all 5 ideals into a single command

5. Agreed

6. You'll need some connection to honor, Maybe hit up the Ire?

24 minutes ago, Lightblood said:

2. We don't know, becuase the combination of different investure's do funny stuff. It would be difficult and you would probably have to be specifically looking for it. But it would have to do with how the breaths attach to the atium and how the sword is connected to you I believe. So we most likely won't see it, Like hemulurgy, many things are possible but there are billions of ways to get it wrong and just one to get it right

3. I would like to argue that this is a entirely different case then nightblood (well... not entirely but significantly different) Nightblood was, as far as we know, made from normal metal. The blade being proposed would be made from a god metal, and so I believe that it would, At least a little bit, twist the nature of the blade. My theory would be that it would follow the command perfectly but the actual personality would be more destructive.

2. You’re probably right. I don’t think actually making the sword out of Atium would help, but there should be a way to make a sword that sees the future, if only because there are plenty of people in the Cosmere who can do it.

3. There would likely be some effect, though I doubt it would be all that great with the Awakening in place. But I think the sword would be largely his own sword.

Just now, CosmereScholar said:

2. You’re probably right. I don’t think actually making the sword out of Atium would help, but there should be a way to make a sword that sees the future, if only because there are plenty of people in the Cosmere who can do it.

true, i much rather have a odium/endowment combo:lol: