Dragonsteel Setting

This is sort of what we're getting, as Brandon has mentioned that Dragonsteel has a much more traditional fantasy feel, albeit one set in a bronze age-level society rather than a medieval one.

One thing that always bothered me about Dragonsteel Prime is that it felt rather generic for me. I like more distinctive settings, with more distinctive magics. Yet, Dragonsteel Prime had a fairly standard fantasy world (though one set in the bronze age) with magic that didn't really get used all that much in the first book. TWG Posts (Feb. 12, 2007)

This is borne out by the excerpts we have from the book, which show that humanity primarily uses bronze, though they're aware of iron and steel but lack the means to make heavy use of it. While there's undoubtedly going to be a lot of changes in the books we eventually get, we already know that the work is going to include the definitive 'fantasy' species (ie, dragons) but it's not going to be a straight-up medieval romance with Sandersonian magic layered on top;It's also got Yolen's unusual ecology and apparently some 'strange geography' as well.

• Chaos locked this topic