Pahn Kahl

CosmereScholar

I think the entire Court of Gods system is less then optimal and that Pahn Kaln should probably be permitted its own self governing system but what Bluefingers tried to do was unacceptable.

Edited by Karger

23 hours ago, CosmereScholar said:

Who here sympathized with the Pahn Kahl more than Hallandren and Idris? I agree it was good that a Manywar was prevented, and Bluefingers was evil. But the Pahn Kahl were a subjugated people, and they shall remain oppressed so long as Hallandren exists.

I think it's worth considering how oppressed the Pahn Kahl are.Obviously to our modern perceptions, them being conquered and folded into a larger empire without a right to self-rule seems bad. And we do see that some Pahn Khal expat laborers in Hallandren work under bad working conditions. Yet on the other hand, many Pahn Khal hold distinguished (if not the highest) positions in the court of gods despite being heathens. So I don't think it entirely makes sense to think of the Pahn Khal as a ruthlessly subjugated people suffering under endless toil and oppression. In practice I think the Pahn Kahl more had a strong sense of regional identity and independence, and that was almost as big of an issue to them as any minor oppression/exploitation that the Hallandren empire engaged in. There might be legit issues, but I can't help but think the Pahn Kahl people willing to start a manywar at the cost of their own lives were probably more fanatical than the average person.

Maybe it's an optimistic attitude, but I like to think that with Ciri's advice, Susebron might have the mindset to recognize and try to right the kind of injustices or inequalities the Pahn Kahl suffer under Hallendren rule. I think while Blue Finger probably wouldn't be happy with anything less but absolute independence, but that most Pahn Kahl people would be happy (or grudgingly) willing to join Hallendren as long as they were treated as equals, or at least were given more respect as their own distinct part of the empire.