The Ancient Terris Prophecies

CosmereScholar

I do not think that the Terris prophecies have been fulfilled. These one in particular:

“He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it. ” 

Sanderson has confirmed it would be possible for the intent of Harmony to become discord. This prophecy, provided it was correctly divined and not corrupted, seems to indicate this will happen. Also, it seems that Discord is still a benevolent intent.

Additionally, I do not believe the other parts of the prophecy have yet occurred.

He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them: Arguably he defended the ways of the old religions, and he made no effort to keep their ways. But, the quote implies that these same people shall call him heretic and love him, which can hardly be said of the long-dead religions.

He shall be their saviour, yet they shall call him heretic: Sazed saved all of humanity on Scadrial, but why would they call him heretic? They now consider him their god.

Does anyone know more information about these?

Edited by CosmereScholar

I remember seeing a theory a little while ago about Harmony becoming Discord. It would certainly be interesting. Like Karger said though, Preservation was not able to see the future perfectly. The way the future kind of works in the Cosmere is that there are many possibilities. Preservation made those prophesies based on one possible path that he saw. That doesn't mean it won't happen. It does mean that it might not happen though. 

1 hour ago, CosmereScholar said:

He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them: Arguably he defended the ways of the old religions, and he made no effort to keep their ways. But, the quote implies that these same people shall call him heretic and love him, which can hardly be said of the long-dead religions.

I always took that portion to mean the Terris people. He was a heretic for disobeying the Synod, and yet he came to lead the Terris, plus, though Tindwyl was on the Synod, she came to love him. That's just my interpretation, though, so don't take that for anything concrete.

2 minutes ago, CosmereScholar said:

You're right that taken as unrelated statements, the first two sentences probably refer to the Terris people during Era 1. But the last line is out of place.

Not exactly. Tell me, who was exiled from Terris society for calling people to action? Tell me, who was the one who freed their entire culture from oppression and rabid breeding programs? Sazed liked to uproot things, liked to spread discord to get things done. If I recall correctly, Tindywl even notes that as one of things she admires about him most.

Perhaps it is a metaphor. But I believe it is too suspicious that the name is that of a Shardic intent Sazed could very well possess.

What do you all think Discord would desire? Would be seek to foster dynamic change, which the forces of Ruin and Preservation oppose each other as much as possible in society? Or would he be something like Nightblood, seeking to fight against “evil”, Ruining things selectively and violently, while Preserving others?

Just now, CosmereScholar said:

What do you all think Discord would desire? Would be seek to foster dynamic change, which the forces of Ruin and Preservation oppose each other as much as possible in society? Or would he be something like Nightblood, seeking to fight against “evil”, Ruining things selectively and violently, while Preserving others?

Probably a mix of those two. He'd like to shake stuff up, sometimes to Ruin, sometimes to Preserve.

I've always taken the "they shall name him heretic but love him for it" as relating the Terris people themselves. 

Sazed was viewed as a rebel and somewhat outcast because of the things he did in disobeying the Synod. He risked exposing the Keepers to Rashek... But the plan succeeded, and in the end the Terris looked to him for leadership he was not ready to provide. 

He was everything he was not supposed to be... A heretic. And yet they loved him for it. 

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic