Stormlight Adaptation Challenges

Child of Hodor

On 3/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, galendo said:

You can't show him descending to the level of depression and despair that the book makes clear.  You can't even do it with a voice-over, which is usually the resource of last resort for visual media.  The gravitas of those scenes -- the penultimate crux of the moral dilemma -- is entirely absent.

You don't need voice over have him visualy show despair while mumbling conspiracy theories about how Dalinar hates him and wanted and excuse to get rid of him while Syl tries to cheer him up while dying.  Think about how depressing that would look on your TV screen!

On 3/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, galendo said:

Or, while we're still on WoR, take the high point of Dalinar's arc (IMHO): fighting Szeth, and realizing that he couldn't have saved Gavilar even if he hadn't been dead drunk the night of the assassination, and therefore forgiving himself for the same.  Now this one you could maybe do as a voice-over during their fight, though it'd sound pretty cheesyAs we fought, I realized that I couldn't defeat him.  That he couldn't be defeated.  That even if I had been awake and alert that night, I couldn't have saved my brother.  And then I let it go.  All the guilt.  The self-hatred.  It was all pointless.  I couldn't have saved him.  No one could.

Have him take a hit smile and say "no one could have saved him" like a boss while getting up.

I am and have always been of the opinion that adapting any book series before its completed is a bad idea. Game of Thrones is the most recent and obvious example of why this can be a disaster, and that show managed to fall into pretty much every conceivable pitfall once the writers ran out of source material. That said, I don't think we're going to see the end of Stormlight before at least 2035. Brandon has put out three Stormlight books since 2010, and will probably put out another next year, plus a break to put out MB era 3 and Elantris sequels.

However

I think this is a good thing. The modern fantasy adaptations are the vanguard of this kind of TV development. Rather than have kinks common to fantasy stories worked out on Stormlight, I'd prefer filmmakers work out the issues with adapting fantasy on series I care less about. Big budget TV is still a relatively new phenomenon, and I'd love to see that scene mature before trying to tackle something as truly out there as Stormlight is.

2 hours ago, Ookla Personified said:

I will say, the existence of the Mandalorian gives me hope for a good SA adaptation. It has the same issues of every setting being an alien planet and tons of people being nonhuman and it seems to be handling them well.

Mandalorian budget was over 100 million dollars for 8 episodes. And, to be honest, to adapt SA they will probably need even more money, because locations for Mandalorian are generally small/simple, at least so far

SA would be even more expensive. I guess with money everything is possible, but who would spend like 200 million dollars in a Stormlight series? Looks too risky for me 

Edited by IcaroRibeiro

• Chaos locked this topic